Is it Time to quit "Dissing" Chris Jones

BigBlue

I probably need to put on a helmet for this topic: there are just too many Rider haters on this site to not have extra protection.

The way the season started out this year it made Jones look like a complete fool - - the house cleaning looked like a merry-go-round leading to nowhere but a repeating loop like ground hog day. But Jones has assembled a reasonable set of  talent that can challenge anyone on any given Sunday .... he just might know what he is  doing. He is actually earning my respect.

And while I still have my helmet on, I must say, I am enjoying watching Duran Carter. My  respect for him, too, is greatly  on the rise after watching him play defense when Jones needed it. He may have a big yap, but when he backs it up with great play, I think its funny, gratifying funny.

That's how the football bounces ... who would have thunk it?

They've played better than I thought they would. Mostly on the arm of KG who played better than I thought he would...though I will give Jones credit for pulling him when he needs to be pulled (something other coaches didn't always do). 

On the play of Carter in D. Am I the only one who actually watched him? Balls being over thrown/under thrown don't make me impressed with his play. His pick 6 was 100% an under throw. The REC was behind him, it was just a poorly thrown pass. He didn't make a great play on the ball, he did have a nice run for the TD though I'll give him that. He was also beat on a Deep pass in the 1st half that was just over thrown. So while he made a good play once the ball was in his hands, his coverage skills aren't all that impressive. I'm getting tired of hearing about how good he was as a DB. He flat out got lucky. End of story. I pray to god that he needs to line up against Darvin in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

They've played better than I thought they would. Mostly on the arm of KG who played better than I thought he would...though I will give Jones credit for pulling him when he needs to be pulled (something other coaches didn't always do). 

On the play of Carter in D. Am I the only one who actually watched him? Balls being over thrown/under thrown don't make me impressed with his play. His pick 6 was 100% an under throw. The REC was behind him, it was just a poorly thrown pass. He didn't make a great play on the ball, he did have a nice run for the TD though I'll give him that. He was also beat on a Deep pass in the 1st half that was just over thrown. So while he made a good play once the ball was in his hands, his coverage skills aren't all that impressive. I'm getting tired of hearing about how good he was as a DB. He flat out got lucky. End of story. I pray to god that he needs to line up against Darvin in the playoffs.

Also Bridge. He looks like a legit heir appearant.  3rd highest in points for 2nd  lowest in points against. They really run and gun teams to death while doing what our defense is supposed to do in theory. 

Jones is a clown. period.  He managed to get the Riders to play some good football and found some decent players but hes still a clown running one hell of a circus.   His decision making, his "screw everyone" concepts and some of the players he has brought in besides the good ones were absolutely ridiculous..

I'm not going to stop taking about how craptacular he is until he proves himself worthy of not being called as such.   Any coach/GM that disregards league rules like he does, brings in players on a hell mary hoping to catch lightning in a bottle and refuses to ever admit hes wrong... aint a good coach in my books.  If Glenn had fell flat on his face this season or was hurt, I don't know if we would be even discussing this. 

Despite his pick 6, Carter did not look all that good in his debut as a d-back. Calgary played like poop and almost any other team would have beaten them. Bridge is starting to look able, but I'm not ready to anoint him as Russ Jackson's heir. Chris Jones has been lucky as much as good and his ignoring of the rules that others have to play by has helped him and the league ought to come down hard on him and the Riders and  let him know that his days of forgiveness are over. Jones' biggest asset is how badly the Riders sucked last year and  how low the bar had been set for this season.

I mean; Jone's defense is starting to do well and he has uncovered a few gems.  I still have no respect for the method in which he uses to accomplish these tasks.  That is why I can't cheer for Chris Jones even if the team seemingly is doing well.  As for Duron, well he is a hell of an athlete as a receiver, as a DB I think he lucked out with a very off game that was happening by Boo.  Both though are doing well and credit must be given where it is due.

5 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Meh, they're still below .500 vs. the West Division and still fourth in the division. It's been a roller-coaster season in Regina, so I'm not willing to give the man credit just yet. Let's see how he manages his roster next season.

How many guys has he been hiding? How many guys have got secret deals going under the table? How far over the cap is he? How big a hypocrite/liar is he? 

16 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

On the play of Carter in D. Am I the only one who actually watched him? Balls being over thrown/under thrown don't make me impressed with his play. His pick 6 was 100% an under throw. The REC was behind him, it was just a poorly thrown pass. He didn't make a great play on the ball, he did have a nice run for the TD though I'll give him that. 

This is exactly true... the only play he made on defense was the pick-6... a play in which a terribly thrown ball went directly to him... and he had to avoid the sure tackling Calgary O-line to get to the house...