Leo's @ Bombers: Nail In Buono's Coffin Edition

USABomberfan

Well, since BC didn't help us out against Edmonton last week, it's time for us to help ourselves out and drive home the final win needed to bring home a WSF home appearance.

If we get up on them by 2 scores early, I say they're done.  While it's already a given no playoffs in BC, win this one and Buono's coffin gets the last nail driven in it.  Good thing Dressler will be here taking those defenders off of Harris this time.

49 minutes ago, northwd said:

Are you including safeties in this scoring? :lol::lol:

While Jason Maas and I have very little in common, such as ear span, how we treat people, use of expletives when representing our organizations, etc., we do apparently share a very strong disdain for intentionally giving up safeties.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

RB Johnson (healthy scratch) and OL Steward  (ankle) are not expected to suit up on Saturday.

Johnson is a beast. But the thoughts of rainy getting significant carries against our gap missing front 7 is scary.  I think he would be the perfect compliment to harris in the 2 back set. 

I have a very hard time thinking that Pasquale Buono is going to be deep-sided by the Lions organization. He’s also VP of Ops. and GM.  He has for such a very long time been largely responsible for the success of the franchise. A year like this doesn’t/shouldn’t do him in, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

I have a very hard time thinking that Pasquale Buono is going to be deep-sided by the Lions organization. He’s also VP of Ops. and GM.  He has for such a very long time been largely responsible for the success of the franchise. A year like this doesn’t/shouldn’t do him in, IMO. 

I've heard stories he's going to retire. 

It’s entirely possible that Buono may decide he wants to take baby steps to the door, moving away from all his responsibilities with the Lions. Braley doing him in, whacking him, nailing his coffin, pulling the trigger, all seems excessive for Wally’s future. He will be the one to decide if he takes the third down plunge or to punt, IMO. 

2 hours ago, Rod Black said:

It’s entirely possible that Buono may decide he wants to take baby steps to the door, moving away from all his responsibilities with the Lions. Braley doing him in, whacking him, nailing his coffin, pulling the trigger, all seems excessive for Wally’s future. He will be the one to decide if he takes the third down plunge or to punt, IMO. 

Why would anyone with self-respect want to stay where they are not wanted or respected?

Before the season, Wally said it was his last season as HC. He's softened that in the last few weeks as he realized that he'll go out as a loser in his last season.

I suspect that everyone involved assumed that the Lions would be sold this off season and therefore would want to go a different direction, but in the last couple of weeks Brailey said that the sale is being hung up because of pending lawsuits. IMO: No sale = Brailey stays = Wally stays

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Before the season, Wally said it was his last season as HC. He's softened that in the last few weeks as he realized that he'll go out as a loser in his last season.

I suspect that everyone involved assumed that the Lions would be sold this off season and therefore would want to go a different direction, but in the last couple of weeks Brailey said that the sale is being hung up because of pending lawsuits. IMO: No sale = Brailey stays = Wally stays

All that being said, he likely won't be the HC next year. Too much wear-and-tear on his body.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Wally spoke with Bob on the Pre-game show a couple of weeks ago and pretty much confirmed that it was a difficult decision but he was going to stick to his retirement plan, win or lose.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

3 hours ago, Rod Black said:

They shoot horses, don’t they? 

Personally, I don't think one bad season is going to all the sudden tarnish his legacy or make him the ridicule of the entire CFL fan base.  They all know he stayed on just a little beyond his expiration date.  But everyone knows when change has to be made, it has to be made, and I'd say that coffin is getting nailed shut on the Buono era.

This season will have no impact on Buono's legacy.  He was a terrific linebacker and outstanding special teamer, and a legendary coach and GM.

Buono did a reasonably job of coaching this year.  He had the wheels fall off when his QB situation strangely unraveled.  Before that happened, they were a shoe-in to make the playoffs and potentially another Grey Cup run.  His team is still talented and the QB will still likely continue on with an impressive career.  There is a lot of talent on this team and they could very well win out.

The Bombers better not sleep on this team.

3 minutes ago, MC said:

This season will have no impact on Buono's legacy.  He was a terrific linebacker and outstanding special teamer, and a legendary coach and GM.

Buono did a reasonably job of coaching this year.  He had the wheels fall off when his QB situation strangely unraveled.  Before that happened, they were a shoe-in to make the playoffs and potentially another Grey Cup run.  His team is still talented and the QB will still likely continue on with an impressive career.  There is a lot of talent on this team and they could very well win out.

The Bombers better not sleep on this team.

There's no sleeping on anyone when the Eskos could still win their last two, though I hope Calgary blasts them on Saturday regardless of our game's outcome.

Edited by USABomberfan