Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

I wouldn't consider it a reflection of fans in this city if the playoff game only has 25,000 or so showing up.  You would then have to say that fans of any team in the CFL don't show up for playoffs.  Semi-final games in all cities do not sell particularly well.  All you have to do is look at recent history.  The only exception would be some semi-finals in small stadiums out east like Tim Hortons Field.  If these 24,000 seaters expanded by 10,000 I'm sure they wouldn't sell more than a few hundred additional seats.

As I say this there are still a few thousand seats left in Ottawa for their game against the Riders.

41 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well if TSN didnt show every home game...

Oh look Mayor Bowman wants EDM to change their name.

Bowman has done nothing about roads, bridges, sewage treatment or water treatment but focuses on this or opening Portage and Main. Some village is missing its idiot.

55 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Bowman has done nothing about roads, bridges, sewage treatment or water treatment but focuses on this or opening Portage and Main. Some village is missing its idiot.

You won't find a politician willing to tackle these, unless they have a 1 and done election goal. Those projects are too big and cost too much for anyone to want to put their own name on them. Same reason they've been an issue for going on 30 years now.

As tempting as it is to rag on the good people of Winnipeg we have to remember not everyone in the 'Peg is a rabid Blue Bomber fan like us. We are not normal. The normal fan has endured decades of crappy Bomber teams with few exceptions and are rather jaded. Yes we've had two seasons in a row of good football but this regime has yet to win a playoff game anywhere, let alone in Winnipeg. I think we're going to have to cut these fans some slack if they don't come out in huge numbers to support this team at home. I now live in Toronto but my friends and relatives back in the 'Peg still talk of the Bombers as "those losers" and there isn't enough blue koolaid in the world that'll convince them otherwise. 

The Blue need to start winning playoff games at IGF (and elsewhere for that matter) if they are to earn the following of those fans again. Let's hope we can start that trend this weekend. Otherwise, I'm afraid it's going to be more of the same. A Grey Cup would do wonders to convert this ... 

Unhappy_Fans1.jpg into this ... Happy_Fans1.jpg

1 hour ago, J5V said:

As tempting as it is to rag on the good people of Winnipeg we have to remember not everyone in the 'Peg is a rabid Blue Bomber fan like us. We are not normal. The normal fan has endured decades of crappy Bomber teams with few exceptions and are rather jaded. Yes we've had two seasons in a row of good football but this regime has yet to win a playoff game anywhere, let alone in Winnipeg. I think we're going to have to cut these fans some slack if they don't come out in huge numbers to support this team at home. I now live in Toronto but my friends and relatives back in the 'Peg still talk of the Bombers as "those losers" and there isn't enough blue koolaid in the world that'll convince them otherwise. 

The Blue need to start winning playoff games at IGF (and elsewhere for that matter) if they are to earn the following of those fans again. Let's hope we can start that trend this weekend. Otherwise, I'm afraid it's going to be more of the same. A Grey Cup would do wonders to convert this ... 

Unhappy_Fans1.jpg into this ... Happy_Fans1.jpg

It's unfortunate but I certainly agree with what your saying. My uncle by marriage and his dad were season ticket holders for 20 years. The team flat out lost their support after years and years and years of bullshit.

I am 25 years old and I have not been alive for a grey cup. That's borderline " worst pro franchise" in sports with a streak like that.  I'm not ragging on the team or regime, just stating facts.

1 hour ago, CodyT said:

It's unfortunate but I certainly agree with what your saying. My uncle by marriage and his dad were season ticket holders for 20 years. The team flat out lost their support after years and years and years of bullshit.

I am 25 years old and I have not been alive for a grey cup. That's borderline " worst pro franchise" in sports with a streak like that.  I'm not ragging on the team or regime, just stating facts.

When we won it in 1990 I never dreamed we'd go this long without winning it again. As a fan who's never given up, at least not completely, each loss, each not making the playoffs, and each loss of yet another playoff game, has been crushing and the weight of it gets heavier each time. The loss to BC last year was brutal. A loss this year will be excrutiating. A GC win however, and I'll do everything I can to actually get drunker than I was 27 years ago, and that is going to be difficult.

Drunk1.gifDrunk6.gifDrunk8.gifDrunk9.gifDrunk10.gifDrunk4.gifDrunk3.gif

Edited by J5V

46 minutes ago, J5V said:

When we won it in 1990 I never dreamed we'd go this long without winning it again. As a fan who's never given up, at least not completely, each loss, each not making the playoffs, and each loss of yet another playoff game, has been crushing and the weight of it gets heavier each time. The loss to BC last year was brutal. A loss this year will be excrutiating. A GC win however, and I'll do everything I can to actually get drunker than I was 27 years ago, and that is going to be difficult.

Drunk1.gifDrunk6.gifDrunk8.gifDrunk9.gifDrunk10.gifDrunk4.gifDrunk3.gif

Amen... grey cup parade ... ahhh can't get my hopes up. 1 game at a time 

You lot have endured so many shite teams, shite managers, shite coaches and false dawns that could break the most diehard supporters' hearts into pieces. I'm glad for you to see that your team and organization has made such strides... but obviously the best that I can hope for you as long as the Boatmen are still alive is a trip to Ottawa.

Here's hoping for a Winnipeg v Toronto Grey Cup.

we're 6 and 0 against you guys in the GC

Edited by bluto
monkey business

42 minutes ago, bluto said:

You lot have endured so many shite teams, shite managers, shite coaches and false dawns that could break the most diehard supporters' hearts into pieces. I'm glad for you to see that your team and organization has made such strides... but obviously the best that I can hope for you as long as the Boatmen are still alive is a trip to Ottawa.

Here's hoping for a Winnipeg v Toronto Grey Cup.

we're 6 and 0 against you guys in the GC

All streaks come to an end sometime. 

12 hours ago, CodyT said:

Not even close.  I don't have time to look it up at the moment  (okay I'll look it up), but since 1990, I recall the Bombers have made the playoffs 16 times, won their division four times, had the best record in the league once, and made five trips to the Grey Cup, which is the average rate for the league.  The problem is they are 0-5 in those appearances.

Since 1990, Toronto has also made five Grey Cup appearances.  They are 5-0.  No one considers the Argos to be an elite franchise, or the flagship of the CFL.  Except Bluto.

The Bombers have had some absolutely dog seasons and stretches since 1990, but they have also had some elite and dominant teams in that time.

I understand, to every individual their perception is the facts, and the lows during that time have been so low that it feels like there have never been any highs.  It hasn't all been a valley of despair.  It's been a rollercoaster with far too much valley of despair.

7 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Not even close.  I don't have time to look it up at the moment  (okay I'll look it up), but since 1990, I recall the Bombers have made the playoffs 16 times, won their division four times, had the best record in the league once, and made five trips to the Grey Cup, which is the average rate for the league.  The problem is they are 0-5 in those appearances.

Since 1990, Toronto has also made five Grey Cup appearances.  They are 5-0.  No one considers the Argos to be an elite franchise, or the flagship of the CFL.  Except Bluto.

The Bombers have had some absolutely dog seasons and stretches since 1990, but they have also had some elite and dominant teams in that time.

I understand, to every individual their perception is the facts, and the lows during that time have been so low that it feels like there have never been any highs.  It hasn't all been a valley of despair.  It's been a rollercoaster with far too much valley of despair.

I don't know dude, it's been pretty bad. The highs have never been that high and the lows are as bad it gets. 75% of the teams make the playoffs in this league.  I started watching when Jim Daley was the coach, but I know reinbold came before that. The only time I've seen competenence was with Doug berry and a fluke year with Lapo in 2011.  I don't know if I've ever seen anything worse in sports than Burke/Mack. Oh I guess mike Kelly rivals that. 0-5 is still 0-5. 

All im saying is if you want to gain back the fair weather fans of the franchise (especially with the jets now being in town) you need to put a winning product on the field year in and year out 

Darryl Rogers was also horrible.

Perception becomes reality, and the perception is the Bombers have been failures for 27 years.  That's not the reality, but it doesn't matter to people who have that perception.  So far it's been 2 seasons with a winning record and a respectable team.  How many will it take to move the needle of perception?  That can't even start to happen until this team makes a Grey Cup appearance.

12 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/11/nye-riders-depth-can-carry-grey-cup/

Nye was sure huffing the paint thinner while putting this one together.

I'm pretty sure no other organization is looking at the Riders right now and thinking they have nice depth. If not for the crossover, their season would already be over.

Jamie Nye the anti-reality guy.