Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

12 minutes ago, mfranc said:

Jones took a risk in going cheap in some areas and that gives him flexibility.  Until they are proven in violation of the SMS it is bs.  There is no doubt that the Riders are spending a lot less on QBing then the rest of the league.  That will afford a team flexihility.

As shown, the difference in your starter is at most 1 player. And possible far far less. Remember vince young? what he was paid while there still counts. Dont expect he came playing for free. Also as i showed, even if you have 1 stars worth of extra cap space created from cheaper then average QBing, you have an extra 22 players on your roster!

A frequent and flagrant breaker of roster rules such as jones face a reverse onus. Until he shows for an extended period of time that he can conduct him self with in the rules of the league he is a cheater. 

Duron carter, dennis, chad owens. That is a metric ton of money. I would bet thats with in a min contract of nichols salary.  We went into the off season not expecting to sign a vet qb to back up due to price. fevers market fell low enough for us to sign him.  Is vernon adams and brandon bridge drastically cheaper then davis and fever? I very much doubt it. 

Edited by wbbfan

Cool your jets everybody with the accusations about the SMS.  Every year fans of every team point to other teams and say they are cheating.  Yet, there have been very few violations, and of a minor nature when it happens.

I have hear a lot of players complain that they wish they made what the media says they make.

Now, do some teams play in cities where they have some corporate supporters that help to find outside work for players?  Probably.  But I never have a problem with hearing a player telling me about the car dealership I should check out.  If you want the Bombers to keep a good player, you could always offer to put the second mortgage on your house and hire one to be your window washer each week for $500 a window. 

1 minute ago, MC said:

Cool your jets everybody with the accusations about the SMS.  Every year fans of every team point to other teams and say they are cheating.  Yet, there have been very few violations, and of a minor nature when it happens.

I have hear a lot of players complain that they wish they made what the media says they make.

Now, do some teams play in cities where they have some corporate supporters that help to find outside work for players?  Probably.  But I never have a problem with hearing a player telling me about the car dealership I should check out.  If you want the Bombers to keep a good player, you could always offer to put the second mortgage on your house and hire one to be your window washer each week for $500 a window. 

I do not think fans from every team point fingers at other teams. In fact the only team in the last few years I think most fans see shorting the system are the riders. 

Probably largely due to taxes. Americans are not used to the taxation rate up here. They hear 150k, pay taxes here and in the US take home half that and wish they took home 150k.

That type of thing used to be extremely common. But with the demands of a modern day athlete its not nearly as popular. Now a days such a thing is like having a "dealership" job while playing at USC. At a dealership that happens to be owned by a USC booster. 

Idr the last impact player the bombers lost to cfl FA that we would have preferred to have back?  More we cut guys the fan base wish we didnt. Even tony burnette who was well received and a great teams guy didnt show well as a starter. JSK has been drastically better on D and mini knox as good on teams. 

We have let go of guys and made room to get the pieces we have. Weve restructured contracts to make room. Montreal had a massive cut back just to get under the cap this year. TO cut lose a bunch of guys last year. Point is, they subtract in order to add. While we see the riders continue to add with out a purge (since dressler and smith) The drop from durant to glenn even if it saved 200k. Even if they saved 500k in qbing, the massive amount of bodies, + guys like carter, dennis, lefrance, and owens ate that up with ease. Add a full TC worth of bodies, guys like trent richardson, muamba, MoB, and guys back from the NFL and you dont even need to consider jones' sorted past to smell the stink of fkery. 

Bodies out side of the 46 man roster;

riders 41

bombers 19

lions 16

esks 34 (that front 7 has been ravaged all year.)

stamps 29.

cats 31

argos 31

Rbs 23

Als 20

The only team even close, edm, features a ton of guys from the first half of the season. week 3, 4 , 5 etc. As you would expect having started 2 rookie NI on defense, and not highly drafted guys in particular. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Bodies out side of the 46 man roster;

riders 41

bombers 19

lions 16

esks 34 (that front 7 has been ravaged all year.)

stamps 29.

cats 31

argos 31

Rbs 23

Als 20

The only team even close, edm, features a ton of guys from the first half of the season. week 3, 4 , 5 etc. As you would expect having started 2 rookie NI on defense, and not highly drafted guys in particular. 

Game, set and match. QED

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

As shown, the difference in your starter is at most 1 player. And possible far far less. Remember vince young? what he was paid while there still counts. Dont expect he came playing for free. Also as i showed, even if you have 1 stars worth of extra cap space created from cheaper then average QBing, you have an extra 22 players on your roster!

A frequent and flagrant breaker of roster rules such as jones face a reverse onus. Until he shows for an extended period of time that he can conduct him self with in the rules of the league he is a cheater

Asshole.jpg

35 minutes ago, MC said:

Even if we won a Grey Cup using backdoor, underhanded tactics as you suggest - it is still cheating and would tarnish that championship forever. I would much rather the drought continue and honestly win a Grey Cup, or try to do so than use those tactics. The "it is only cheating/illegal if you're caught" logic is a slippery slope at best, and led to much bigger problems in other much more real issues at worst. For a fantastic, terrifying example of what happens when an entire industry lies through their teeth, look no further than the housing market crash in 2008.

Remind me again about SMS?  The team who just extended Labatte for four years, no doubt with a bonus from this year's cap, is over the cap?

How about the team who has an all-star NI running back, a 200 k kicker and had their starting NI tackle get injured yet he had no recollection of how  it happened?

The blue Kool-aid is strong.

Edited by mfranc

https://www.bluebombers.com/2017/11/02/bombers-release-four-pr/

WINNIPEG, MB., November 2, 2017 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has released the following players from the practice roster.

International quarterback Philip Nelson
International receiver Garry Brown
International defensive end Chris Casher
International defensive lineman Sam Montgomery

2 hours ago, mfranc said:

Remind me again about SMS?  The team who just extended Labatte for four years, no doubt with a bonus from this year's cap, is over the cap?

How about the team who has an all-star NI running back, a 200 k kicker and had their starting NI tackle get injured yet he had no recollection of how  it happened?

If you're reffering to Westerman... first he is a DE, second it is a legit injury since he already took a surgery for that. 

The Riders cheat in every way conceivable. You would too if you won as few Grey Cups as they have. Cut them some slack....it's all they've got over there and it's been a disaster for the vast majority of the last 100 years. They are the league equivalent of the drunk brother that has finally found a job after 20 years of welfare. You just hope that it doesn't fall off the rails because it is so sad to watch when it does, and it's kind of nice he stopped pestering you for twenty every Friday even though his bragging about his new found minimum wage job is a little over the top.

Edited by gcn11

6 hours ago, mfranc said:

You know this isn't going to end well, so why don't you just **** off now.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Seems like an inefficient process to me, only bring them back if they are better than somebody on the current roster, if not let them go and keep looking.

It's getting a jump start on next year's Spring Camp. Get a look at 'em now in practice reps and see if they're worthwhile bringing back next spring.....seems like a smart move to me. Let 'em go now, because the season is over and we don't need them anymore.

27 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Seems like an inefficient process to me, only bring them back if they are better than somebody on the current roster, if not let them go and keep looking.

The PR expansion window is closing so they had to let guys go.  It was basically an in-season mini camp... they had 30 days to get a look at guys to see if they are worth bringing back next season.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/02/four-players-fined-week-19-action/

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced on Thursday that four players were fined after Week 19 action.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats defensive back Mariel Cooper was fined for a late hit out of bounds on Ottawa REDBLACKS receiver Jake Harty.

Calgary Stampeders offensive lineman Randy Richards was fined for an unnecessary hit to a vulnerable player (Euclid Cummings) in the game against the Edmonton Eskimos.

BC Lions linebacker Dyshawn Davis was fined for leading with the crown of his helmet on a hit to Winnipeg Blue Bombers running back Andrew Harris.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers linebacker Kyle Knox was fined for leading with the crown of his helmet on a hit to BC Lions running back Tyler Davis.

As per league policy, the amount of the player fines was not disclosed

9 hours ago, mfranc said:

Amazing how defensive you get... But unsurprising when it comes to flatbillies. If this forum is BS and we're drinking Kool-Aid, why are you even here? Other posters state actual facts about your team, and all you can do is deflect and make childish comments. That's awfully telling.

3 hours ago, mfranc said:

I'm done.  Kool-Aid flows in all places and all fans are guilty.

I'm sure your ilk at RiderFans will welcome ya with open arms. Bye.

12 hours ago, mfranc said:

Its almost like jones doesnt even pretend to care about the sms. Like he just keeps spending and spending till the league will crack down on him. hmmm.

We have been tight to the cap all year. Hense minimal off season splash moves. Including drastically reducing OUR qb cost by cutting glenn just before FA. Member? We picked up some teams guys mostly and depend on our rookie scouting. We didnt spend like drunken sailors.

Hardrick was hurt the previous week. The same game bond was hurt. Both were day to day. Hardrick was not good to go, bond was. 

5 hours ago, mfranc said:

I'm done.  Kool-Aid flows in all places and all fans are guilty.

Sure it does. Fans league wide expect better of management groups from the teams. Which team has been infracted by the league for cap abuse in the last few years? And who has been spending like mad with no purging and has head and shoulders more players then any other team in the league?

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

We have been tight to the cap all year. Hense minimal off season splash moves. Including drastically reducing OUR qb cost by cutting glenn just before FA. Member? We picked up some teams guys mostly and depend on our rookie scouting. We didnt spend like drunken sailors.

Not to mention Smith retiring before the season saved them some money, and they cut a veteran DB to go with rookies instead after training camp, why can't I get the guys name right now... man how easily those guys get forgotten.... 

If anything Walters cares too much about the SMS. Always cutting veterans and going with rookies. 

27 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Not to mention Smith retiring before the season saved them some money, and they cut a veteran DB to go with rookies instead after training camp, why can't I get the guys name right now... man how easily those guys get forgotten.... 

If anything Walters cares too much about the SMS. Always cutting veterans and going with rookies. 

bruce johnson. great point as well. Thus far weve done a good job in finding new talent. Guys like JSK, poop, jeffcoat etc. That said under previous regimes we would have been all over a couple guys that would have helped us a great deal this year even if we got a fine next year. Thats our team though. The winnipeg blue boy scouts. 

12 hours ago, gcn11 said:

The Riders cheat in every way conceivable. You would too if you won as few Grey Cups as they have. Cut them some slack....it's all they've got over there and it's been a disaster for the vast majority of the last 100 years. They are the league equivalent of the drunk brother that has finally found a job after 20 years of welfare. You just hope that it doesn't fall off the rails because it is so sad to watch when it does, and it's kind of nice he stopped pestering you for twenty every Friday even though his bragging about his new found minimum wage job is a little over the top.

Hey man, that's a low blow. No drunk person or individual on welfare deserves to be compared to the lowly 'Riders... show some class.