Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/26/murray-johnson-fined-week-18/

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced on Thursday that Toronto Argonauts linebacker Rico Murray was fined for a dangerous tackle on Winnipeg Blue Bombers receiver Weston Dressler.

The league also announced that Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive tackle Cory Johnson was fined for a high hit on Toronto Argonauts quarterback Ricky Ray.

As per league policy, the amount of the player fines was not disclosed.

On 24/10/2017 at 1:48 PM, 17to85 said:

The reason they have to have so many last minute drives is precisely because Lapo is content to go 2 and out all game long until he has no choice but to try and win the game. At least Ritchie Hall is willing and able to adjust as a game progresses. I have no great love for the bend but don't break defense, but I much prefer a guy that changes according to the game to the offensive coordinator who bases his entire game around "don't try until you're losing"

Yea it has nothing to do with the defence not being able to stop anything....i mean worse to or close to worse in yards given up 3 years straight is an Offensive problem...not defense. All football minds know that.

7 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I have an idea for stopping hits on quarterbacks that are sliding. 

let them do a signal, same as the "fair catch" signal they have for punters in the NFL. ball is placed where the signal is made,

That is what the slide is supposed to be.  The second they start that slide, they are ruled down and the whistle is to be blown.

http://www.tsn.ca/shiltz-to-become-12th-post-calvillo-starter-for-alouettes-1.901795

MONTREAL — The long list of quarterbacks who have taken snaps for the Montreal Alouettes in the past four years is about the stretch a little farther.

Rookie Matt Shiltz is to get his first Canadian Football League start, and Antonio Pipkin is to make his CFL debut when the Alouettes end the regular season with an otherwise meaningless game in Hamilton on Friday night

I remember those days here in Bomberland. Thank Christ that's over.

On 10/27/2017 at 12:50 PM, Mark F said:

I have an idea for stopping hits on quarterbacks that are sliding. 

let them do a signal, same as the "fair catch" signal they have for punters in the NFL. ball is placed where the signal is made,

Interesting thought but my first reaction would be that it is too difficult to consistently and clearly signal when you're running around with the ball, rather than the fair catch which is a guy with no one around, waiting to catch a ball.

5 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Frick...

?TRANSACTION?

The @sskroughriders have brought another RB into the fold.

DETAILS: http://on.cfl.ca/dbjM30gi4gQ

DNk0CRAWkAEEVRM.jpg

We can laugh and sneer all we want, Jones is playing to win.     

typed in moment of weakness. fixed.

@blue_gold_84Antonio Pipkin is a great name!

Edited by Mark F

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Does this mean that Trent Richardson's ankle injury is worse than first thought?

Maybe but Jones is always adding guys.  I'd say one of either Marshall or Richardson is a no go for the semi-finals.

1 minute ago, tracker said:

I have little doubt that Jones does what he wants and does not consider the salary cap, so if he wants to bring in extra bodies, he will, with no regard for the rules- he has proven that repeatedly.

Or he doesn't pay a starting QB 400k and has some flexibility.

Typical BFBS.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:42 PM, johnzo said:

How many fourth quarter game winning drives have Lapo and Nichols put up in the last two years?  Would've had yet another one against Toronto if Medlock wasn't slumping.

I think "controversial" is a flattering word for this opinion.  I'd go with "disappointing" or "underachieving" because  I expect you to say smarter things.

Those last drives are all hurry up. Its not lapo orchestrating those.  Matter of fact, by far the best of our offense is hurry up with plays called by nichols. 

On 10/24/2017 at 2:06 PM, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, except when the offense does generate a come-from-behind win. And I'm pretty sure the 2011 Bombers were simply beaten a better, more complete team.

Jee-zus... The bias is real.

All offensive actions are not because of the OC. insanely talented players making out of this world plays for instance. As well as the above mentioned. 

On 10/24/2017 at 2:05 PM, johnzo said:

Ah, yes, here it is, from the week 18 stats PDF.  We're second-best at 2-and-outs, and if you look back to past weeks, we were the best until a couple of games ago, right around when  Flanders got hurt. 

We're second-best in offensive touchdowns, too.  That is definitely the hallmark of a failed, too-conservative offensive coach who is too concerned about winning the turnover battle (we're second in giveaways, too.)

If Lapo doesn't play to win, he's pretty crappy at it.

Screenshot_from_2017_10_24_12_03_21.png

Also the highest field goal attempts, 2nd lowest 1st down average yards,  mtl is the only team with less possessions. Thats the fun of statistics. When you look at it, our offense is mostly middle of the pack with a few drastic off middle outliers in both directions. What it all points to is explosion plays. We feast on game breaking long scores by big time talent like adams and dressler. When we dont get those, we tend to starve and kick a lot of field goals. 

4 minutes ago, mfranc said:

Typical BFBS.

Bull. Jones has been caught hiding players for Christ's sake! The guy is a POS. I'm glad you've got him but I wish you were further away. The smell is drifting over here and I keep getting a whiff of something rotten from the vicinity of your coach and his football team.

pissonriders.jpg

mosaic.jpg

8 minutes ago, mfranc said:

Typical BFBS.

Even so, there are still a ton of players on that roster and it isn't like they're all making peanuts. It is interesting how Jones continues to add pieces but it does make one wonder about the Riders' SMS.

No need to get salty. A view not in line with yours doesn't make it bullshit.

9 minutes ago, mfranc said:

Typical BFBS.

Glenn with incentives is 300k. Base was 200ish k. How much did he pay the ni rb starter of the future in the off season? 150k? Chad owens? etc. Even if glenn missed his performance bonuses, and was say 175k, the other massive amounts of cash he threw around blew through that gap long long long ago. Do you believe trent richardson came up here after a heafty nfl rookie contract for peanuts?

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Even so, there are still a ton of players on that roster and it isn't like they're all making peanuts. It is interesting how Jones continues to add pieces but it does make one wonder about the Riders' SMS.

Jones took a risk in going cheap in some areas and that gives him flexibility.  Until they are proven in violation of the SMS it is bs.  There is no doubt that the Riders are spending a lot less on QBing then the rest of the league.  That will afford a team flexihility.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Current roster shows 8 guys on the 1 game injured list. 17 guys on the 6 game, who only do not count against the cap for 6 games. A quick look shows guys put on late in the season. Added week 20, not gonna have 6 weeks to qualify eh?  if they remain on the list for 6 games. 16 guys on the PR. (would getzlaf or thorpe sit on the PR for the pr base pay? I would think not. especially not thorpe)

Thats 41 guys NOT on the active or inactive roster.  Essentially a full TC size roster. The bombers who have suffered a massive rash of injuries the last few weeks have 2 guys on the 1 game, 2 guys on the 6 game and 15 on the PR. For 19 players off the main roster. Less then half what the riders have. Signing bonuses even for a guy on the 6 game still counts the year of signing as well. 

6 minutes ago, mfranc said:

Jones took a risk in going cheap in some areas and that gives him flexibility.  Until they are proven in violation of the SMS it is bs.  There is no doubt that the Riders are spending a lot less on QBing then the rest of the league.  That will afford a team flexihility.

brainwashed.gif