Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

1 minute ago, JCon said:

You'll need to buy him a lot of beer to make up for the pain of being in Regina.

Feel free not to come if its that bad. Wouldn't want anyone to have to suffer or anything.  We will have a good crowd either way

On 6/27/2017 at 0:42 PM, Ripper said:

Things turn ugly for Jones if we go 0-3. Back to back at home. His job will be on the line soon.

Can you even fire a guy midseason when he's wearing four different hats in the organization?  Replacing a head coach is hard enough, but simultaneously replacing a VP, a GM, a HC, and a DC ... sounds like pure org chaos.

I wonder if firing a coordinator is even more damaging than firing a coach ... thinking back to the bad old Bombers of 2005 who had a promising D for a couple games until Rod Rust had to take a leave, and then they became instantly, historically bad.

(weirdly, the Roughrider website doesn't list a DC, it only lists a few defensive assistants and position coaches, so maybe Jones only has three hats now?)

13 hours ago, johnzo said:

Can you even fire a guy midseason when he's wearing four different hats in the organization?  Replacing a head coach is hard enough, but simultaneously replacing a VP, a GM, a HC, and a DC ... sounds like pure org chaos.

I wonder if firing a coordinator is even more damaging than firing a coach ... thinking back to the bad old Bombers of 2005 who had a promising D for a couple games until Rod Rust had to take a leave, and then they became instantly, historically bad.

(weirdly, the Roughrider website doesn't list a DC, it only lists a few defensive assistants and position coaches, so maybe Jones only has three hats now?)

I'm pretty sure the bolded part confirms your original statement... not contradicts it...

I don't think Jones is in trouble this year (mid-season)... unless we're talking about a catastrophically bad start... like 0-10 with an average deficit of 15 points, etc...

37 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I'm pretty sure the bolded part confirms your original statement... not contradicts it...

I don't think Jones is in trouble this year (mid-season)... unless we're talking about a catastrophically bad start... like 0-10 with an average deficit of 15 points, etc...

"You can fool all of the people some of the time..."

17 hours ago, Goalie said:

Administrative role

By 1992, Ambrosie took over as the secretary of the Canadian Football League Players' Association(CFLPA). He played a role in monitoring the 1992 NHL strike as the CFLPA and the CFL renegotiated their collective bargaining agreement that year.[34] Ambrosie was also part of the CFLPA board that oversaw the CFL's expansion into the United States.[35] During the expansion, Ambrosie took a strong stance against lowering the import ratio which requires each team to carry a certain number of Canadian players. He also took issue with a proposed expansion or dispersal draft intended to be held in early 1993 to provide players for the San Antonio Riders and Sacramento Gold Miners.[35][36] The CFLPA and Ambrosie threatened legal action over the import ratio issue, but no legal action came to pass.[37]

Business career

After retiring from football, Ambrosie became the North American head of sales at HSBC Securities. In May 2004, Ambrosie joined AGF Management Ltd. as their head of sales and marketing.[38] The president of the company reportedly hired him to "shake things up".[39] Ambrosie's leadership brought several changes to AGF Management Ltd., including new fund managers and the launch of new products.[40] In June 2006, Ambrosie was appointed president of AGF Funds Inc.[41] Due to another managerial change in 2008, Ambrosie left the firm.[42] In October of 2012, Ambrosie joined Canada's oldest investment firm, MacDougall, MacDougall & MacTier (3Macs) as president and CEO and guided them through a period of significant transition and growth. In 2016, 3Macs entered into negotiations ending in the eventual sale of the firm to Raymond James.

Edited by BigBlue

So I read this article by Terry Jones:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-eskimos/terry-jones-canadian-colquhoun-makes-rare-start-in-first-cfl-game?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+edmontonjournal%2FBPhZ+(Edmonton+Journal+)

and the general premise was confusing... take this quote for example:

"Colquhoun....became the first Canadian in a quarter century to start his first ever game in the CFL"

there is absolutely no way that is accurate... didn't Chungh (who is obviously Canadian) start his first ever CFL game just 3 years ago?... Technically Jamal Westerman started his first ever CFL game... I thought maybe he meant just for the Eskies but that was never clarified... then I thought maybe it was his first start ever (like he came off the bench in HS and college) but that just doesn't make any sense...

Not really sure what the point of this post is... just thought it was an odd premise to write a feature article about... 

8 minutes ago, bearpants said:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-eskimos/terry-jones-canadian-colquhoun-makes-rare-start-in-first-cfl-game?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+edmontonjournal%2FBPhZ+(Edmonton+Journal+)

"Colquhoun....became the first Canadian in a quarter century to start his first ever game in the CFL"

there is absolutely no way that is accurate... didn't Chungh (who is obviously Canadian) start his first ever CFL game just 3 years ago?... Technically Jamal Westerman started his first ever CFL game... I thought maybe he meant just for the Eskies but that was never clarified... then I thought maybe it was his first start ever (like he came off the bench in HS and college) but that just doesn't make any sense...

Not really sure what the point of this post is... just thought it was an odd premise to write a feature article about... 

I read that article and my head hurts. It's such a mess. Who's editing this mess??

It's totally unclear but Jones MUST be referring to Eskimos but the amount of references to the "CFL" and starting their "first game" is just weird.

It's like Jones was told to write six inches but only had enough material for two.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎27 at 2:54 PM, Ripper said:

Look me up and I'll buy you a beer if you have time, to ease your pain Mike

Yea...because drinking moosepiss Pilsner will ease anyone's pain. It's why you guys are such sore losers.

Edited by gcn11

17 minutes ago, bearpants said:

There are endless examples of Canadians who came in and started their first ever game.

His next paragraph says:

You have to go back 25 seasons to 1992 when rookie offensive lineman Chris Morris started the very first game of his 14-season Wall of Fame career with the Eskimos.

So he must be referring only to the Esks.  But terribly written.