Bombers @ Argos: Dressler Return? + Lapo Must Call Deep Balls To Non-Lankfords Edition

USABomberfan

On 2017-10-20 at 11:07 AM, J5V said:

Yep and that's why I didn't take issue with Harris socking that guy in the jaw. He could have picked a better time to do it, but I'm glad it was done. BC was taking liberties with our players and the officials were doing nothing about it.

kick-the-face.gif

Sometimes you gotta just go berserk

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Sure it matters. If he's getting covered well or double covered, he doesn't get targets. This is what happens when an offense loses its top weapon(s).

I disagree- the Argos knew that Dressler was one of Nichols' prime targets yet Dressler had a great game- covered or not. The same could not be said for Denmark. Good receivers find ways to get open and last year Denmark did.

11 minutes ago, tracker said:

I disagree- the Argos knew that Dressler was one of Nichols' prime targets yet Dressler had a great game- covered or not. The same could not be said for Denmark. Good receivers find ways to get open and last year Denmark did.

I'm guessing you've never played WR in real competitive football before.

I would suggest that the game plan was for Dressler and Harris to be the go to guys this game. I think Dressler was targeted at least 15 times whereas Denmark 3. I stand to be corrected on the exact number. What that says to me in my humble opinion is Denmark was a secondary or third receiver in this scheme. LaPo has done this in the past. If you recall the last time Dressler returned to service he was targeted the most yet again even with Adams in the receiving corps. Interesting that Denmark is tied for the lead for TDs on the team. I just get this feeling that Denmark and in this instance Givens were not the main focus of this game plan. It is somewhat sad because LaPo seems to loose sight of the fact that when all receivers are involved in the game the attack is much more balanced and effective. If you look at the past two games, the offense has struggled and in both it has been either Adams until he was hurt and then no one, or in this one Dressler. I have a great deal of difficulty believing that the other receivers are covered or not putting out. Maybe if they are not  putting out as has been suggested it is because they are not involved in the game in a meaningful way. Yes I understand they have other duties to perform away from the ball but for an entire game??? I guess we will see what happens next game. Givens showed he could play, in my mind Denmark has shown he can play and Feilo G...., sorry can't spell his name, can catch as well. So why not use them???

On 2017-10-21 at 10:18 PM, Old Bomber Fan said:

Medlock missed the last field goal, something he was a given about 3 games ago and I don't really think that lost the game. However if you consider 2 missed field goals and this team and OC dependent on him so much well then I think that is what sunk the ship along with Fogg not doing well all night. Just my thoughts

I think the reliance on Medlock is somewhat overstated. Nichols is tied for the league lead in TD passes.

12 hours ago, tracker said:

No, but I'm pretty sure Dressler and Denmark have.

And Dressler has always done a better job of getting open and making defenders miss. Denmark, not so much. His production comes in spurts - always has. And right now, he's struggling. But that seems to be the case whenever the offense has been without its top weapons.

16 hours ago, tracker said:

and completely disregard the fact hes often covered by a teams second or third best cover guy. 

@DarrinBauming
Justin Medlock used the word “laughable” to describe his performance this season, and says it is a mental thing and not technical. Medlock called his miss on potential game-winner "upsetting" and that he beat himself up over it. "It's kinda hard to talk about." #Bombers

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

@DarrinBauming
Justin Medlock used the word “laughable” to describe his performance this season, and says it is a mental thing and not technical. Medlock called his miss on potential game-winner "upsetting" and that he beat himself up over it. "It's kinda hard to talk about." #Bombers

Sucks to hear a guy take it so hard.  hopefully he uses this as motivation to get back to his usual level of eliteness.  

37 minutes ago, Noeller said:

@DarrinBauming

Not sounding good. If he knows it's mental, he needs to do whatever he can to make peace with himself and the misses he's had. All kickers go through slumps. If he's still upset and doesn't want to talk about it, that's a sign he hasn't gotten over things yet and these woes may continue. 

I'm thinking personally that Medlock probably allowed missing that 61-yarder in the WSF to get to his head and it likely affected his kicking coming into this year.  Despite that, I'd still keep him and allow him to get out of it because I don't really see any upgrades in kickers out there right now considering Parades is not going to be leaving Calgary ever.

2 hours ago, aalgernon said:

Not sounding good. If he knows it's mental, he needs to do whatever he can to make peace with himself and the misses he's had. All kickers go through slumps. If he's still upset and doesn't want to talk about it, that's a sign he hasn't gotten over things yet and these woes may continue. 

Or there's simply nothing to discuss or worth discussing, and he needs to get over this mental hurdle on his own. It's only been a few days and biffing that FG still has to sting.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Or there's simply nothing to discuss or worth discussing, and he needs to get over this mental hurdle on his own. It's only been a few days and biffing that FG still has to sting.

Totally, I think he needs to get over it on his own... just based on his comments, I don't think he's done so yet.

4 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

I'm thinking personally that Medlock probably allowed missing that 61-yarder in the WSF to get to his head and it likely affected his kicking coming into this year.  

That was like God missing a kick. The guy was on a pedestal last year. 

23 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

I'm thinking personally that Medlock probably allowed missing that 61-yarder in the WSF to get to his head and it likely affected his kicking coming into this year...

18 hours ago, Mark H. said:

That was like God missing a kick. The guy was on a pedestal last year. 

So if we found ourselves in that situation again, do you think O'Shea would send him out to try a 61 yarder or would he opt to gamble this time on 3rd-and-five?

43 minutes ago, J5V said:

So if we found ourselves in that situation again, do you think O'Shea would send him out to try a 61 yarder or would he opt to gamble this time on 3rd-and-five?

Depends on the day because MOS checks with Medlock before each game to see what his range is. But he definitely trusts him... There's no question about that. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Depends on the day because MOS checks with Medlock before each game to see what his range is. But he definitely trusts him... There's no question about that. 

Fingers and toes crossed the Bombers don't find themselves in that position again, with a playoff victory hanging in the balance.

Edited by blue_gold_84

3 hours ago, J5V said:

Too many variables.  Such as, maybe Lapo has a really effective 5 yard play in reserve. Maybe the OL has been dominant run blocking, etc. etc.

For me, we'd have to be 3rd and a mile before I'd ask my FG kicker to attempt a 61 yarder no matter how good he told me he was feeling. 3rd and anything reasonable, say 20 yards and under, and I'm audibling and throwing a pass, screen, etc. If it's 3rd and 5 and my offense can't get 5, that's beyond putrid. But that's me.