"Good" but "Stand Pat Sally" vs "Improving"

TheSource

Have to say that this year's Bombers have impressed with talent level at many positions and have brought in some good players during the off-season, but the team seems to refuse to use a philosophy of continuous improvement.  Over the last few years, during the regular season Bombers have become the "Stand Pat Sallies" of the CFL. Not sure whether this is because they are trying to be cheap, are afraid of making mistakes, or are overly loyal to under-performing players, or a combination of those reasons. The one thing I know is that similar to a DB covering a receiver, if you stand still, you will get blown by and lit up. I think its safe to say we may be seeing the bombers getting passed by teams that are willing to get better.

And I don't buy the argument any more that because you have certain players at other positions, you can't afford to change the bad parts of the team. That's a full-on load of crap. Every other team (including Calgary) has brought in players to get better during the season. Some teams, like Hamilton and Sask, have made a large number  of in-season changes and  now have a team that talent-wise on paper is at least as good as the Bombers, if not better (in terms of team speed and athletic ability). Not trying to continuously improve a team is weak, and I think it send the wrong message to players, letting them get too complacent and comfortable.

Now in the past off-season the Bombers have done good work in bringing in these players:

Jeffcoat, Poop, Walker, Alexander

And they have a core of great players that I wouldn't change including:

Entire O-Line, Nichols, Harris, Adams (he's made a believer out of me), Mo, Loffler, Heath, Randle, (and the list goes on)

However there are some glaring weaknesses that just do not seem to get addressed:

*** HURL *** (really make me want to, every time I see him out there doing nothing)

Lankford (love his speed and they REALLY do need another speed guy, not another possession receiver, but Lankford is showing that he is clueless)

Kyle Knox

Wolitarsky (supposedly a possession receiver but dropped and easy one right away)

Coates (not going to scare anyone)

Jake Thomas

Dom Davis (does not look good enough to be backup - expected more from a guy who has been around this long)

Addison Richards (yes, he's gone, by his own devices, but he never should have been kept around that long)

Now if you say we have to play those guys because they are non-import, then I'd say this team is still too weak in Canadian depth to compete with the other teams in the League, and likely due to a lack of Canadian depth, Bombers may either miss the playoffs again this year, or do another one and done, possibly on the road. No other team would put Hurl out there just because he's Canadian. and that's a fact.

If Bombers have an early exit, or miss the playoff entirely, you can sill blame their chronic weak Canadian talent level, and their inability to make changes to keep up with the other teams in the league. Their record is great, and they are definitely a much better team, but you have to do more than that to get to the next level...

While anyone with a keyboard is entitled to their opinion, and to post same, and to be fair some of the criticisms are exactly the same as have repeated by many on this board, I have to say personally I have a problem with an ex-employee of this franchise, who has twice publicly departed under bitter circumstances, taking pot shots at the current regime's building of this team and questioning its approach, and the ability of its players, especially when those criticisms come right after one unpleasant loss given all the success of the past two months, when you've been amazingly quiet. Kind of like you were sitting in your mom's basement for the last 9 games just waiting to pounce and bash the team once a bad loss came up.

As an aside, complaining about the "stand pat" nature of this team is pretty rich coming from a guy who refused to get away from the "jet package" and who defaulted to Brock Ralph around the end or draw play up the middle every time it was called, despite the "multiple looks" it was claimed to present.

8 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I'm assuming the real Mike Kelly has better things to do - but that's just me

And like Mike Kelly, he runs his mouth after a loss like a damned know-it-all. But he's nowhere to be found after a win.

Saying the team has stood pat really shows he doesn't pay attention, either. Then again, standing pat would still be an improvement over what he managed to do in 2009.

43 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

While anyone with a keyboard is entitled to their opinion, and to post same, and to be fair some of the criticisms are exactly the same as have repeated by many on this board, I have to say personally I have a problem with an ex-employee of this franchise, who has twice publicly departed under bitter circumstances, taking pot shots at the current regime's building of this team and questioning its approach, and the ability of its players, especially when those criticisms come right after one unpleasant loss given all the success of the past two months, when you've been amazingly quiet. Kind of like you were sitting in your mom's basement for the last 9 games just waiting to pounce and bash the team once a bad loss came up.

As an aside, complaining about the "stand pat" nature of this team is pretty rich coming from a guy who refused to get away from the "jet package" and who defaulted to Brock Ralph around the end or draw play up the middle every time it was called, despite the "multiple looks" it was claimed to present.

You're assuming it's Mike Kelly. I may be wrong but I'm not convinced that is him posting. If it is, he is entitled to his opinions. 

10 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Interesting how he shares the same DOB as the real Mike Kelly (1958/02/11). And Widener is located in Chester, PA, which is just outside of Philadelphia.

It's either him or a pile of garbage troll posing as him.

My location says Section 234 but, to be honest, I post mostly from home. 

so much lulz to this post.

Wolitarsky's first game and he dare drop a ball?  come on man..

Dom Davis not good enough to be a backup?   you deduced this from his limited reps where he didn't screw up, completed passes and made first downs with his legs did ya?   smh.

and lastly, Jake freakin' Thomas??!  the guy is a very capable interior lineman.  He shouldn't be starting but definitely in there for rotation.  to suggest he sucks and needs to be cut is laughable at best..

fail fail fail.. all over this post.

Just now, Atomic said:

Backup QB comes in cold and doesn't mount a game-winning comeback.  Should be cut immediately.  Rookie receiver drops a pass?  Cut!  Who else can we cut?  Maybe if we cut enough players we will never lose another game.

I loved the dig on a player who isn't even here anymore too.. Addison Richards? Bring him back and cut him again!  

Just now, gcn11 said:

I highly doubt that any ex-HC, even a boneheaded one like Kelly, would make comments like the ones made by the OP.  Even Kelly wouldn't tear down a guy like Wolitarsky, or make commentary about players he's never coached. This is not Mike Kelly people...no matter how stupidly he tries to imitate him.

yea I'm pretty confident you are right.  I don't believe he would be this moronic.

2 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

yea I'm pretty confident you are right.  I don't believe he would be this moronic.

I would think that even if an ex-HC decided he would weigh in on the Bombers that he would come up with a much more thoughtful, accurate, and insightful post than that. I know it's Mike Kelly, we're talking about, but that post is just throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. Even someone as awful as Kelly was, would give a much better and in depth synopsis than that.

Edited by gcn11

25 minutes ago, aalgernon said:

Didn't the Bombers literally just add 6 players to the PR about a week ago?

They don't count. None of them are ex 1st round NFL draft picks.

"Coates (not going to scare anyone)"

Our back up Canadian Rec isn't going to scare anyone??? OMG THIS TEAM IS ****!!!!!

And anyone who dumps of Thomas needs to STFU and either relearn or just learn how the CFL works when it comes to CND players. Thomas would be scooped up immediately if released tomorrow.  He makes a significant play in almost every game. FOOOOOR example, against the ticats, he hustled off his block and tripped up Green AFTER he got to the second level. Had he not made that play Green scoots for at least 30 yards and possibly a TD. Thomas made the play and stopped the drive.