Deadliest Mass Shooting In US History - Las Vegas

45 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

In what way?  People commit mass murder with knives?  People will always kill.  The point is to make it harder to kill in masses.  Charles Witman killed 17 people in a similar action using rifles (he was a sharpshooter).  Had he had assault rifles, it would have been much worse.  It also took much longer for police at that time to respond appropriately.

The point is that banning guns makes it no harder to run a truck through a crowd of people, or set off an explosive.  It's addressing a symptom of a huge societal issue that will still exist even if guns are banned outright.

6 hours ago, Mark F said:

I am going to guess that this wasn't done with an assault rifle, rather, a machine gun.

Read a few seemingly educated comments here and there, where that's what they thought.

assault rifle (I think) can't kill that many people, that fast, from that far.

apparently you can legally own a fully functional machine gun in the many states in the US including nevada, as long as it was built prior to 1986. cost 20,000.00 or so.

You can see videos of these on youtube.

As I understand it an automatic assault rifle is basically a light machine gun that fires from a magazine and can be switched between individual fire and rapid fire bursts to replicate a machine gun which is usually mounted.  An AK-47 is an example of an assault rifle and from the rapid fire sounds caught on video it appears this idiot was basically sweeping the crowd assembled below, no aiming needed.

31 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

As I understand it an automatic assault rifle is basically a light machine gun that fires from a magazine and can be switched between individual fire and rapid fire bursts to replicate a machine gun which is usually mounted.  An AK-47 is an example of an assault rifle and from the rapid fire sounds caught on video it appears this idiot was basically sweeping the crowd assembled below, no aiming needed.

so far police are saying nothing about what he used. for some reason. It's not as if they don't know.

now I find you can even legally own a fifty calibre machine gun in the USA.  They are completely nuts.

Edited by Mark F

No need to own semi automatic assault style weapons. Hunting? U gonna obliterate the animal. 

Here ill be a US congressman

Thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.

But i didnt take any money from the NRA like they all do... So i dont have blood on my hands. 

It's stories like this that make me so thankful to live in Canada.... Every time I hear someone talk about America being the best country in the world, my first reaction is "impossible, 2nd to Canada is as high as you can go"....

And yes, I realize we are not immune to terrorist attacks and extreme gun violence... but it is almost an every day occurrence in the US... How different could that Edmonton attack have been if the terrorist had easy access to assault/automatic weapons...

I genuinely feel safe going almost any where in Canada... can't say I feel the same way when I'm in a lot of areas in the US...

13 hours ago, bustamente said:

Between the hotel room and his residence in Mesquite they found 42 guns.

Owning that many guns should be changed from a "right" to a "red-flag".  So far they haven't uncovered any motive on this guy, but the number of guns he owned is telling, somewhere, someone in the gun owner's community must be able to shed some light on the darkside of his personality.

http://time.com/4499088/guns-us-super-owners-report/  3% of the American population own almost half (130 million) of all guns in the U.S.  

"According to the survey, gun stock in America has increased by 70 million since 1994, while the percentage of Americans who own guns actually dipped from 25% to 22%. The survey also found that the proportion of female gun owners is increasing while fewer men own guns. More women than men were likely to own a gun for self-defense purposes and more likely to own only a handgun.

On the whole, gun owners tended to be white, male, conservative and reside in rural areas, the survey found."

17 hours ago, bustamente said:

They can change gun laws but they will never stop these acts of violence .

Bullshit. You make it harder for the deranged people to get guns and you see a lot less of this **** happen. Yes a really determined person can still get a gun, but you weed out a lot of the crazies. Let's not put our heads in the sand here. Guns exist for only one reason, to kill things/people, you don't make it so bloody easy for whackos to get them you make it harder to whackjobs to kill and injure mass amounts of people and ruin lives. There is a reason the majority of these things happen in the States and only sporadically in other countries that have better gun control. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/3784603/australia-gun-control-ban/

In April 1996, a 28-year-old man armed with semi-automatic rifles entered a cafe in the small Australian town of Port Arthur,  shot and killed 35 people and injured 23 others. It was the worst mass shooting in Australian history.

The day after the massacre, the country’s prime minister, John Howard (a newly elected leader), started to put together the most sweeping gun control reforms ever contemplated by any Australian government.

The country passed the National Firearms Agreement, which banned automatic, semi-automatic and pump-action shotguns. It also introduced a stricter system for licensing and owning guns. The agreement is considered one of the strictest gun laws in the world.

A nationwide gun buyback scheme also saw more than 640,000 weapons turned in to authorities. The guns were collected and destroyed.

It took just 14 days after the Port Arthur massacre for gun laws to be proposed and then passed by the Australian government.

Interesting read to see the effect it had on mass shootings. 

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3784603/australia-gun-control-ban/

Interesting read to see the effect it had on mass shootings. 

Interesting. Clearly a right-wing country with their forced voting, ready to go to any war and you must be born here to be leader law but then they did this. Commonwealth thinkin.

22 hours ago, bustamente said:

They can change gun laws but they will never stop these acts of violence .

So if they disallow people easy access to these types of weapons, it wont stop?  The difference between a guy with 42 weapons including assault rifles, autos etc and a guy with a hand gun or hinting rifle is the difference between killing 58 and killing 4.  Not perfect but a hell of a lot better.

I was also going to mention Australia where their strict gun control had an immediate and clear positive impact.  This is common sense stuff.  Its not complicated.  And every single one of these lying politicians who deflect it away has blood on their hands.  Ryan trying to say its a mental health issue and we have to weed those people out better.  So they want more invasive efforts to identify mentally disturbed people but more passive gun control.  WTF.

These GOP is in the midst of loosening regulations on silencers.  Among other efforts to lessen gun control.

Assault rifles exist to kill humans.  Period.  Thats it. 

Common sense - adopt Australia's program.  Just adopt it.  Its great. 

CNN had some polling that showed the majority of Americans are ready for stricter gun control.  And those with guns say "protection" is their leading reason for having.  This is so common sense.  Hunters want rifles.  Homeowners want hand guns.  Get rid of semi auto, assault rifles, pump action etc.  Its brain dead simple.

I dont know how easy it is to get a firearms license in the US but I imagine not that hard.  Hell, we have a graduated drivers licensing here where it takes months of restrictions to get a license. 

I see people saying "if you take their guns they will use knives".  The single stupidest argument of them all.

I saw them say he had a highly illegal, hard to get on the black market machine gun.  Oh really.  Not that hard to get obviously.

How about owning more than, I dont know, 10 ******* guns is a big red flag.

Take the guns.  Just ******* take the guns.