Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

15 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Surprised they just not give it to McPhee.

I think Chevy deserves it more...  McPhee was gifted Fleury - Chevy drafted Helle in fourth round...   

McPhee deserves huge credit for hiring Gallant - but the rest of his moves are either 'gifts' from Dave Tallon or over-achievers...

Plus that Brassard stunt was ridiculous.

Just now, Floyd said:

I think Chevy deserves it more...  McPhee was gifted Fleury - Chevy drafted Helle in fourth round...   

McPhee deserves huge credit for hiring Gallant - but the rest of his moves are either 'gifts' from Dave Tallon or over-achievers...

Plus that Brassard stunt was ridiculous.

yeah I agree, the jets worked their butts off this year, Chevy really deserves some recognition here.....I don't remember does the owners or the GM's do the hard work on trade deadline?

McPhee has to win GM of the year, no question.  He built a team from scratch - in part to dummies like MIN and FLA - and made them a legit Stanley Cup threat in < 12 months.  The award is presented yearly afterall. 

I'm a Chevy fan (not the vehicle) but he's had 7 seasons to build a winning team.  Not in even the same ballpark arena as McPhee.  Chevy does deserve "GM of the Decade" if this team wins 7 more games, though. WINNIPEG - Manitoba...ya that Winnipeg... making a Cup Final would get Chevy getting a lifetime contract from TNSE. 

And holy CRAP did that Trouba "news" ever fly under radar.  Maybe it's all talk, maybe it's not worth over-analyzing. But him and his status in WPG, to me, is / was the biggest obstacle this offseason.  Helle will sign, Laine will agree to a mega-deal, Lowry, Connor..... none was as pressing as #8 because of all the history between the 2 sides. 

Top pairing D don't come cheap.  He & Morrissey can conceivably be our #1 pairing well into the 2020's.  SIGN. THE. MAN.  And hope he dumps his agent at some point and makes life a tad easier for Chevy. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

McPhee has to win GM of the year, no question.  He built a team from scratch - in part to dummies like MIN and FLA - and made them a legit Stanley Cup threat in < 12 months.  The award is presented yearly afterall. 

I'm a Chevy fan (not the vehicle) but he's had 7 seasons to build a winning team.  Not in even the same ballpark arena as McPhee.  Chevy does deserve "GM of the Decade" if this team wins 7 more games, though. WINNIPEG - Manitoba...ya that Winnipeg... making a Cup Final would get Chevy getting a lifetime contract from TNSE. 

Vegas paid $500 million for that team...  that's a pretty heft headstart

18 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I'm on Team Chevy here. McPhee was given a list of players to choose from and handed some really key players. He hasn't built anything. 

Chevy has slowly, meticulously, built a team, drafting players that fit in Winnipeg. A couple of trades and very few FAs. 

okay a little reminder about who is up for Free Agency

my thoughts: Of course Helle will be re-signed he deserves it after the performance this year, Morrissey has 

also Morrissey has shown up alot more often this season. well I'm mentally prepared to part with Dano and Hutch, I do admit Hutch has improved a little bit, sending him to the moose definitely helped. I like everyone else would love to see Stast stay even if it's just for a year....or if it makes him an RFA or something

so if Enstrom goes, would we be promoting within and signing a moose full time (if so I'd nominate Niku, but then again I was impressed by Hutch's first game...hey I would know I was there for that late season game) or would we be signing someone else? I can kind of see us keeping Hendricks and Matthias but they'd probably be sent to the moose

33228010_1874140345969980_35979143288601

I don't know why it's not embedding

Edited by iHeart

On 2017-10-05 at 9:22 PM, Goalie said:

Chicago 8 

Pittsburgh 1 

Mid 2nd period. 

Umm.. Yeah

yeah I'm having a hard time believe here that Chicago didn't make it to the playoffs, but then we did beat the penguins in similar fashion later that month

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

how does this kind of stat get judged???

By measuring more in-depth variables during games beyond the standard ones (SOG, G, A, P). Team/player possession statistics (corsi, fenwick, PDO), shot attempts, shots/shot attempts for/against, etc. It's still a pretty new concept as far as the NHL goes but it's gained considerable traction the last few years as several teams have adopted analytics to improve their rosters. It's far from perfect but can paint a clearer picture in determining a team's or player's strengths/weaknesses.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nhl-dives-into-the-advanced-stats-pool/

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nhls-analytics-awakening/

https://thehockeywriters.com/future-of-hockey-analytics/

Think Moneyball... Only call it Moneypuck.