Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

Some sad news from the Dallas Stars

https://www.nhl.com/news/dave-strader-dies-at-age-62-of-cancer/c-291498528?sf64281338=1

yeah I know it should be in the random death notice but considering I keep getting heck from other members for putting people in there that they've never heard of....

hey should I start another injury watch thread or just attempt to bring the other one back up

Edited by iHeart

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Preseason is over.  Time to get to the real season and do it in style like only Jagr can.

Partying with Kane

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Really don't understand how vegas did not sign jagr 

Vegas did a lot of things we don't understand. They could have had a decent team this year if they didnt make any deals.

An interesting discussion on TSN 1290 this morning. If you look back at the 2016 NHL draft, Edmonton actually owned the 2nd overall pick.  If the draft lottery had unfolded according to the standings, Edmonton could have had Laine and McDavid.  Don’t know if they would have ultimately been able to afford both of them, but that would be a hell of a line for a few years.

Poolman and Connor make the team. 

Man...that is really interesting on Poolman's side.  I wonder if its indicative of some banged up bodies.  Unless they see more value in him being around the big club and practicing with pros then playing top minutes with the Moose.

Didnt they do this with someone last year..Petan, maybe?  Or Connor?  Where they kept him for awhile and then finally sent him down to get more playing time.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Poolman and Connor make the team. 

Man...that is really interesting on Poolman's side.  I wonder if its indicative of some banged up bodies.  Unless they see more value in him being around the big club and practicing with pros then playing top minutes with the Moose.

Didnt they do this with someone last year..Petan, maybe?  Or Connor?  Where they kept him for awhile and then finally sent him down to get more playing time.

Yeah Connor started with the team last year but then went down after a few weeks.

Poolman straight up earned a spot with his play.  We'll see where it goes from here.  I get the "he needs to play" argument but he is also 24 years old.... a little different style of rookie from a 19-21 year old.  It could be beneficial to keep him with the team and let him practice with NHLers... and then either make the decision to send him down, or maybe there is an injury and he finds his way into the lineup.  It's not like he will be in the pressbox for 82 games.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Yeah Connor started with the team last year but then went down after a few weeks.

Poolman straight up earned a spot with his play.  We'll see where it goes from here.  I get the "he needs to play" argument but he is also 24 years old.... a little different style of rookie from a 19-21 year old.  It could be beneficial to keep him with the team and let him practice with NHLers... and then either make the decision to send him down, or maybe there is an injury and he finds his way into the lineup.  It's not like he will be in the pressbox for 82 games.

What if we're incredibly healthy on the back end this season?  Does it make Toby expendable early?  The instinct would be (if the Jets really do compete this year) to keep him and have depth for the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

What if we're incredibly healthy on the back end this season?  Does it make Toby expendable early?  The instinct would be (if the Jets really do compete this year) to keep him and have depth for the playoffs.

Totally injury free in the D-corps?  I don't know.  The idea is almost so unlikely that it doesn't need to be considered.  We always seem to have at least one guy go down for the season or a large portion.

My plan?  Have Poolman as the 7th defenceman for when someone inevitably gets injured.  If he plays well... find a way to fit him in.  If he plays poorly, send him down and default to Chiarot as the new 7th man.  If we really do end up 40 games into the season without an opportunity for Poolman, then you consider sending him down to get some icetime with the Moose.  But I can't see it.

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

Poolman is RHD right?  Anyone else see this as a signal that they want Poolman to get the NHL playing time so he's ready to take over when Trouba is traded?