3 stars + HH deadmonton edition

wbbfan

12 hours ago, J5V said:

3. J. Adams. You can't teach the athleticism it takes to, in one motion, catch a ball thrown over your outside shoulder, one handed, while fending of a db with the other hand, and keeping a foot inches inside of the out-of- bounds line. Truly remarkable.

Maybe it's just me but I thought Darvin did better on that play than Johnny did.  ?

I thought the offence and special teams underperformed last night but the defence had one of their best games.  It is nice that an off-night for this offence means a few dropped passes rather than a handful of turnovers.

1. Chris Randle
2.  Andrew Harris
3. Jovan Santos-Knox

Happy honker goes to Andrew Harris for recovering the botched handoff before Edmonton could get on it.

Edited by Atomic

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I thought the offence and special teams underperformed last night but the defence had one of their best games.  It is nice that an off-night for this offence means a few dropped passes rather than a handful of turnovers.

1. Chris Randle
2.  Andrew Harris
3. Jovan Santos-Knox

Happy honker goes to Andrew Harris for recovering the botched handoff before Edmonton could get on it.

I think teams was solid, medlock of course had a bad night but i think teams as a unit aside from his kicking was good. Some really good coverage and returns.

3 hours ago, Judd said:

I hate to say it but I think the d-line has been performing better without westerman

Its a small sample size, but I agree.  Westerman reminds me a bit of Elfrid payton. (a guy i was a huuuge fan of growing up)

Not so much in terms of being a guy who coasts, but a guy who gets his stats with out having the impact through on the game those stats would infer.  ogopogo, and jeffcoat get a ton of pressure but dont sell out for sacks. They get steady pressure and change the pace the offense can operate at.  They also dont take the guaranteed dumb penalty every single game.  

Still westerman has the right pass port and is a productive pass rusher. Losing that starting NI really hurts. 

22 minutes ago, Atomic said:

1. Chris Randle
2.  Andrew Harris
3. Jovan Santos-Knox

Would not of matter if he recovered it  Edmonton had too many men on the field

No Cactus Jack ramblings today (I'll save it for the home games, like he did) as a busy weekend continues, but he would have praised Harris and Randle before waxing poetic on Darvin Adams' phenomenal one-handed one foot down sideline TD catch that provided the winning points as the Happy Honker player and play of the game. As an aside, the precision of Nicholls' throw on that and many other passes was highly under appreciated in the commentary about the game. Tremendous ball protection.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

. As an aside, the precision of Nicholls' throw on that and many other passes was highly under appreciated in the commentary about the game. Tremendous ball protection.

yup - had to have a second helping this morning, and they sure tasted good...

Image result for ham and eggs

10 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Thought he was already declared done for the year. Or are you referring to something else?

He is done for the year.  When he gets back to the city we are supposed to learn some details on the why.

21 minutes ago, Rich said:

He is done for the year.  When he gets back to the city we are supposed to learn some details on the why.

Both he and Osh said they were hopeful he could make a return for the playoffs.  IMO and I know this won't go over well with some,  this was a cap saving move with some benefit in the long run - Westerman makes a triumphant return in week 20 for a rust shaker vs calgary then we head into the playoffs with a fresh Westerman all the while saving pretty significant $ during those absent 6 games.  

If I'm close to the truth I actually approve the move and it's bout time we start doing what everyone else does, and that's take advantage of the IR that gets exploited like chimps in a diamond mine

Related image

9 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I just wanted to give a hat tip to the other Kelowna kid on the team, Jesse Briggs.  I saw him out there a lot on the D (apologies if he's been playing a lot all year and I just haven't seen him) and he was  making some big tackles.   Does he come in for Hurl?  Not sure what the schemes are but I noticed him out there and I'm glad he's getting some playing time.  I know his old coach here and he said that Briggs has what it takes to be a CFL LB.  Good to see that coming true.

I might be off, this is entirely anecdotal, but I'd say Briggs has been on the field for about 20% of the defensive reps this year.  To me it seems like he's seeing action on about 1/2 of the second down reps.

On 10/1/2017 at 9:02 AM, Fraser said:

Even more rare, no calls of hands to the face.

And there was one called against Edm!... I guess there goes my "Winnipeg-only" penalty theory! :lol:

22 hours ago, O2L said:

The effort on the fumble was great, but it would’ve been wiped out by the too many men call against Edmonton anyway. 

I think what happened there is Goose recognized the late substitution (as he normally does) and snapped the ball quickly and perhaps this one time, Nichols wasn't ready for it... It definitely wasn't a botched hand-off as some suggested...

17 minutes ago, bearpants said:

And there was one called against Edm!... I guess there goes my "Winnipeg-only" penalty theory! :lol:

I think what happened there is Goose recognized the late substitution (as he normally does) and snapped the ball quickly and perhaps this one time, Nichols wasn't ready for it... It definitely wasn't a botched hand-off as some suggested...

Yeah true I guess the ball was never even really in Nichols' hands.

41 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Yep that’s what I saw too. 

12 hours ago, mbrg said:

I might be off, this is entirely anecdotal, but I'd say Briggs has been on the field for about 20% of the defensive reps this year.  To me it seems like he's seeing action on about 1/2 of the second down reps.

I've tried to pay closer attention to when Hurl is on the field and not. Seems like he's off the field a lot more recently. I think Briggs might be coming in more often for him on passing downs. We seemed to be rotating linebackers a bit against Edmonton, but maybe I'm just noticing it more or we're just shifting out LBs for DBs.

30 minutes ago, WildPath said:

I've tried to pay closer attention to when Hurl is on the field and not. Seems like he's off the field a lot more recently. I think Briggs might be coming in more often for him on passing downs. We seemed to be rotating linebackers a bit against Edmonton, but maybe I'm just noticing it more or we're just shifting out LBs for DBs.

It's impossible to keep track of all the rotations that take place during a game. In a fantasy world, I would be able to see the percentage of non special team snaps each player takes, and which position they play when they do.

Briggs and Neuf immediately come to mind.

42 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

It's impossible to keep track of all the rotations that take place during a game. In a fantasy world, I would be able to see the percentage of non special team snaps each player takes, and which position they play when they do.

Briggs and Neuf immediately come to mind.

Well it's not impossible, it would just be very time-consuming.  A restless spirit like yourself probably has plenty of time to spare  So I guess I'll expect the report on my desk by Wednesday morning.