3 stars + HH deadmonton edition

wbbfan

1 Chris randle. Randle island. game saving pick 6. and game sealing pass knock down. 

2 ogopogo. Some great pressures tnite. A big sack, a few big hits on reily and scraped the ball really well a couple times.

3 Jovan santos knox. 9 tackles, all over the field side line to side line. Filled the gap really well a few times and was in the back field all night. 

HH It didnt get caught but the sweep to lankford, wicked deep pass. Should have been a TD. The wrinkles are really coming out of our offense now and its getting harder and harder to shut it down.

Harris has to get 1st star the guy was a workhorse out there all game 

Randle gets star 2 for the pick 6

gotta give 3rd to the entire D. aside from Van being in at RB,  we were facing a healthy edmonton offense with reilly behind center and other then zylstra and walker a few times, made everyone else look pretty pedestrian

HH goes to Adams and that awesome TD catch

1. Randle - no question

2. Harris - guy is a beast - leading rusher and receiver - can never forget that he carries the entire offence on his back

3. Alexander - up against some tough competition tonight, thought he played his heart out

Santos-Knox - all over the place and showing real leadership

HH - The Bombers coaching staff, for instilling a team-first selfless mentality throughout the team. The Bombers had 35 yards of penalties the entire game:

Penalties:
Offsides - Trent Corney (5 yards)
No yards - Jesse Briggs (5 yards)
No yards - Robert Porter (15 yards)
Holding - Patrick Neufeld (10 yards)

That's a darn clean football game.

Nichols for continuing to protect the ball.  Big difference in the outcome of the game.

Harris for soldiering through pain and grabbing first downs when the whole stadium knows he's getting the ball.

Entire linebacking crew were wreckers tonight.  Covering the field and all over Reilly when they blitzed.

HH to Fogg for the slow motion punt returns that are very productive.

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

HH - The Bombers coaching staff, for instilling a team-first selfless mentality throughout the team. The Bombers had 35 yards of penalties the entire game:

Penalties:
Offsides - Trent Corney (5 yards)
No yards - Jesse Briggs (5 yards)
No yards - Robert Porter (15 yards)
Holding - Patrick Neufeld (10 yards)

That's a darn clean football game.

The 15 yard no yards was egregious too.  Not even close.

randall: esp with the post-game interview, you can see why this guy is a steady shutdown corner every game.

harris: beasting, even after things tighten up he wills his way to yards and you can tell he grew up immersed in cfl

ogopogo: like molasses, slow start to the season but his motor was running tonight, and supported by the d, i was loving it

hh to brandon alexander for being a stud for the last couple weeks. hell yeah!!!

1. That ham 'n egger, Matt Nichols. Unlike Reilly he didn't force the ball at all and very adeptly threw it out of bounds or into the turf when the play had broken down. That's some cool ball control and game management right there.

2. Andrew Harris. How Wally could be so dumb as to ever let this guy walk away is truly astounding. The man won't be denied, is pure all-star, and is playing in beast mode. 

3. J. Adams. You can't teach the athleticism it takes to, in one motion, catch a ball thrown over your outside shoulder, one handed, while fending of a db with the other hand, and keeping a foot inches inside of the out-of- bounds line. Truly remarkable.

HH to Mo Leggett who got chewed up today by going into the nasty places where players are afraid to go. Get well soon!

32 minutes ago, Tehedra said:

I agree porter had backed out of the five yard safety zone prior to the catch. The eskies lucked out on that call.

How about their turf-assisted reception that led directly to a field goal? If that was the difference in the game there’d be hell to pay for those officials. 

2 hours ago, O2L said:

How about their turf-assisted reception that led directly to a field goal? If that was the difference in the game there’d be hell to pay for those officials. 

That one and the Adams TD both solid examples of why the eye in the sky needs to be able to alert the refs on the field without teams having to challenge.  Just imagine if they didn't rule Adams catch a TD on the field.  No way to review that.

Either let the command center buzz in or let coaches keep their challenge so long as they keep winning them.

The O line gets very few holding calls. One last night.

Although they do seem to have been calling it less in general this season.

Does Neufeld get reps on the O line or is it just as a tight end?

Edited by Mark F

What more can you say about Andrew Harris....the guy is the total package....Tireless and tenacious in his game and a tremendous asset to this club...I hope he sets all kinds of records this season, he deserves them all....Although our D as a whole played a very solid game...Jeffcoat, Okpalaugo, and Randal certainly stood out....Circus catch Adams...WOW...I don't know how he comes down with those but I hope he continues.....I'm going with : Harris, Jeffcoat (and the rest of the D) and Adams...A lot of players worthy last night.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

3 Stars:

1. Nichols - Found his deep ball. Threw it away when he needed to.
  2. Harris - Won't be taken down by the first guy and recovered a big fumble.
  3. Randle - Pick 6 for the win.

HH:

I'll go with Jeffcoat. Lots of pressure and a knockdown. 

The effort on the fumble was great, but it would’ve been wiped out by the too many men call against Edmonton anyway. 

38 minutes ago, tracker said:

The game may have been the best overall game the Bombers have played this year. The only complaint was Medlock's startling fall from perfection.  Hurl was his usual self (sigh) but Snatos-Knox is fitting in well. Knox was in for a few plays but mostly as a spectator.

Our second down conversions ( or lack thereof) and inability to capitalize on amazing field position are reason enough that this wasn’t our best overall game. Maybe best defensive effort, but best overall game is either last week against Ottawa or earlier in the year @ Hamilton. 

I just wanted to give a hat tip to the other Kelowna kid on the team, Jesse Briggs.  I saw him out there a lot on the D (apologies if he's been playing a lot all year and I just haven't seen him) and he was  making some big tackles.   Does he come in for Hurl?  Not sure what the schemes are but I noticed him out there and I'm glad he's getting some playing time.  I know his old coach here and he said that Briggs has what it takes to be a CFL LB.  Good to see that coming true.

52 minutes ago, O2L said:

Our second down conversions ( or lack thereof) and inability to capitalize on amazing field position are reason enough that this wasn’t our best overall game. Maybe best defensive effort, but best overall game is either last week against Ottawa or earlier in the year @ Hamilton. 

I should have said "best balanced" game overall. The offense was good, and the defense was better than they have been all season.  The D-line has pressure on Reilly more and more as the game went on , and it is very encouraging that the dumb penalties have stopped. I would consider the game last night as a much better measure of the Bombers- Ottawa was almost like a full-contact scrimmage.