Carmicheal gone for remainder of the season

SPuDS

Our coach actually said that about Carmichael? Really? Or is that fake news?

Rod Hill WAS the greatest defensive back not only in Bomber history but IMHO in league history. He was so good that when we had him and Less Browne (leagues all-time INT leader) at the same time QB's would throw to Browne's side instead of Hill's side. Wow, that was a defense!

13 hours ago, bustamente said:

Pretty sure you'll never see him in Blue and Gold ever again, at least I hope not.

Hey, he could still attend our fine stadium as a fan.

2 hours ago, Blue in the loops said:

Rod hill was before my time.  Was he better then Bolden?

For anyone else who wants a bit of background on Hill (per wikipedia, I'm lazy);

Hill signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League in May of 1988, where he became a dominant player. He was the team's starting cornerback for 5 seasons and was part of two Grey Cups championships. He received CFL All-Star honors in 1989 and 1990.

He retired at the end of the 1992 season, with team records for most career interceptions (47), most interceptions in one game (5) and career blocked punts (8). In 1996, he was inducted into the Winnipeg Football Club Hall of Fame.

Edited by Eternal optimist
idiocy

They played a bit of a different game. Hill as a pure cover guy was phenomenal.. just had a knack for being in a guys hip pocket and basically running the route for the receiver and stealing the ball.

Bolden all around was dominant..big body..great cover skills and the definition of a shut down corner.  He would play and line up all over almost with no set position and just shut down a teams number one..where hill was strictly on the corner.

Bolden too could really play a physical game and stick a guy..hence why he was called "Stick" in some circles and it wsnt because his tall long body.

Another beauty who was total shut down was Roy Bennett 

Juran Bolden was one of those rare players who was actually too good for the CFL and should never have been here.....like Mike Sellers or Doug Flutie.....never should have been here in the first place, and we're just lucky to have been able to see him play up here, and in our colours no less. The guy was a freak.

19 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Our coach actually said that about Carmichael? Really? Or is that fake news?

Rod Hill WAS the greatest defensive back not only in Bomber history but IMHO in league history. He was so good that when we had him and Less Browne (leagues all-time INT leader) at the same time QB's would throw to Browne's side instead of Hill's side. Wow, that was a defense!

I saw Hill at Duckworth today...working the room.

Looks like he could still strap them on.

13 hours ago, Blue in the loops said:

Rod hill was before my time.  Was he better then Bolden?

Id say bolden was one of those guys who was on another level, even from greats but for a very short period of time. Its a lot harder to do it in the cfl every years for many years on end. You take a real beating up here. 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Juran Bolden was one of those rare players who was actually too good for the CFL and should never have been here.....like Mike Sellers or Doug Flutie.....never should have been here in the first place, and we're just lucky to have been able to see him play up here, and in our colours no less. The guy was a freak.

^ this. 

Id also throw out there that less browne was on a similar level to rod hill. Young marvin coleman was crazy good.  Once upon a time he was a deadily return man, and an absolute pick 6 fiend. I mean 13 total tds in his career. As a db/returner. I feel like a ton of guys dont get credit, but db is one of the harder positions to name an all time great at. (even down south with guys like night train lane) Db is harder to play now then ever before. There was a time whe na DHB played more like a saftey then any thing else on every down. Now its a full time cover spot. Same with the sam (mo) lber spot. 

3 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I saw Hill at Duckworth today...working the room.

Looks like he could still strap them on.

I would pay top dollar to see milt and hill do 1 on 1 drills with dunigan throwing the ball. Shut up and take my money,  money.  Rod hill is one of the greatest bombers the city/ culture of the team has been lucky enough to have. Walby and rod no 1 and no 2. Khari was high on that list some time ago as well. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I would pay top dollar to see milt and hill do 1 on 1 drills with dunigan throwing the ball. Shut up and take my money,  money.  Rod hill is one of the greatest bombers the city/ culture of the team has been lucky enough to have. Walby and rod no 1 and no 2. Khari was high on that list some time ago as well. 

A buddy and I ran into Rod Hill years ago at Buffalo Bills. Super awkward, we went up to him and were like "Hey Mr Hill! So 5 picks in a single game huh?? You were awesome!" He was like "Yeah, thanks guys". Lol. So we bought him a beer.