Why isn't the Bombers #5 jersey retired?

IC Khari

Serious question, the guy had the misfortune of playing at the time of the greatest dynasty in CFL history and still won TWO MOP of the league awards in 80 and 81 during it's height. The team was actually ripped off IMO of a Grey Cup trip in 82 after they had the game won in the West Final in Edmonton save for a brutal official's call. Grey Cups are important but Milt never won one. It's that Zoo thing isn't it? OK semi serious ... but why?

An excerpt from a really good article by Ed Tait:

The Bombers haven’t formally retired numbers, but the following are officially no longer available to players:

11 – Worn by hall of famer Ken Ploen, the face of this franchise during his playing days from 1957-67 and later into his retirement. Ploen also wore 89, as did many players of that era who played both sides of the ball.

28 – Jeff Nicklin was a decorated Bomber from 1934-40 before becoming a decorated soldier in World War II, passing away on the battlefield in 1945. The winner of the Most Outstanding Player Award in the West Division is annually presented with the Jeff Nicklin Memorial Trophy.

75 – As a tribute to Tommy Lumsden, who played end, defensive end, tackle and guard for the Bombers from 1951-54 but passed away at the age of 25 in a Winnipeg hospital while suffering a gall bladder attack near Beausejour. The Tommy Lumsden Trophy is presented annually to the Bombers’ top Canadian player.

That information is passed down from one equipment manager to the next and Brad Fotty, who has been in the position since 1990, has since put Walby’s 63 and Stegall’s 85 out of commission. The same was done for Bob Cameron’s 6, but when the club signed quarterback Dominique Davis – who asked for that number – the hall of fame punter gave his thumbs up for it to be brought back.

Other numbers – like Doug Brown’s 97 or the 1 worn by Roberts – are not available for a few years after their retirement as a sign of respect, but with close to 90 players brought in annually to training camp, football teams simply can’t retire the numbers of all their greats.

https://www.bluebombers.com/blue-by-the-numbers/

Edited by Jacquie

8 hours ago, Jacquie said:

An excerpt from a really good article by Ed Tait:

https://www.bluebombers.com/blue-by-the-numbers/

This is a good article. I have been getting autographs for over 12 years now and the only numbers of players I don't have are 28, 48, 73,75,76,78,79. This article explains 28 and 75. I guess the others just aren't popular numbers or there is a reason for them as well?

Two other Numbers I have but you don't see players wearing are 36 (Buddy Tinsley) and 72 (Mitch Zalnasky).

On 9/25/2017 at 8:08 AM, Bomber_fanaddict said:

This is a good article. I have been getting autographs for over 12 years now and the only numbers of players I don't have are 28, 48, 73,75,76,78,79. This article explains 28 and 75. I guess the others just aren't popular numbers or there is a reason for them as well?

Two other Numbers I have but you don't see players wearing are 36 (Buddy Tinsley) and 72 (Mitch Zalnasky).

Leo Ezerins wore 72 for us.