Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

2 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Have to throw out an obligatory “Damn, I miss Barney Gargles’. 

You knew going in chances were 50/50 you’d get scolded for something but the food was always top notch. 

Never got scolded. Their daily roast sandwich, with the beef sliced right off the roast, was the stuff of legend. 

6 hours ago, Mark H. said:

That has to be a one off, Roxy's is usually great.  Next time that happens, ask for a seat in the lounge.

By the way, a burger platter with a drink is $15 - $20, the same or a little more than many fast food options - way more food and better quality

And this is my point,  these restaurants are far better options then going to McDonalds.   At Roxy's I've never been able to eat the full meal in one sitting.   I like getting the pulled pork + jalapeno sandwich with the bistro fries and that alone I can usually make it into 2 - 3 meals which makes the price even more attractive.   

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

And this is my point,  these restaurants are far better options then going to McDonalds.   At Roxy's I've never been able to eat the full meal in one sitting.   I like getting the pulled pork + jalapeno sandwich with the bistro fries and that alone I can usually make it into 2 - 3 meals which makes the price even more attractive.   

Can you explain your choice of Bistro over house fries? I can’t eat the Bistro but I’ve never understood why anyone would order Costco fries in a restaurant over fresh cut. 

8 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Never got scolded. Their daily roast sandwich, with the beef sliced right off the roast, was the stuff of legend. 

For us it was part of the charm, between the sisters and a couple of the long term servers one of them was going to bust on us for something. Like going home and having mom give you crap about not finishing your dinner. 
Desserts were to die for but there was never room after those meals. Had to take it home for later. Used to drive out once a month after we had moved back to the city. 

Another testament that if you are running a family owned business you need to have a rock solid succession plan. Was never the same without them and squabbling between heirs seemed to sink them for all of us to suffer through withdrawal. 

53 minutes ago, iHeart said:

okay first of all Costco fries are awesome I love what they do with them I need to know what style they do it in because there has to be a way to do it at home

They are by Cavendish, they sell them in store. They are as crispy as they are because of the coating applied to them (which makes many of us unable to eat them). I can’t remember all the ingredients but flour and egg are two of them. I’m a firm believer that fries should have one ingredient potato and then the oil they are cooked in. 

2 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Can you explain your choice of Bistro over house fries? I can’t eat the Bistro but I’ve never understood why anyone would order Costco fries in a restaurant over fresh cut. 

For us it was part of the charm, between the sisters and a couple of the long term servers one of them was going to bust on us for something. Like going home and having mom give you crap about not finishing your dinner. 
Desserts were to die for but there was never room after those meals. Had to take it home for later. Used to drive out once a month after we had moved back to the city. 

Bistro fries... probably because I enjoy the dip with the sweet chili sauce?   I didn't realize they were costco fries I thought they were home made?  

Desserts at Roxies are also top notch,  our usual routine involves buying a few squares of whatever and taking them home.   Then going to upper crust bakery (2 minutes away) getting cinammon buns and the apple cinammon bread and whatever else and taking that home.   All really good stuff.  

30 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Bistro fries... probably because I enjoy the dip with the sweet chili sauce?   I didn't realize they were costco fries I thought they were home made?  

Desserts at Roxies are also top notch,  our usual routine involves buying a few squares of whatever and taking them home.   Then going to upper crust bakery (2 minutes away) getting cinammon buns and the apple cinammon bread and whatever else and taking that home.   All really good stuff.  

As a celiac, I hate you right now...

I have actually heard the servers describe the Bistro fries to people as Costco fries. House fries are their home made option.

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

They are by Cavendish, they sell them in store. They are as crispy as they are because of the coating applied to them (which makes many of us unable to eat them). I can’t remember all the ingredients but flour and egg are two of them. I’m a firm believer that fries should have one ingredient potato and then the oil they are cooked in. 

cool I should consider  buying them more often

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

Well, there's always the renowned Costco dog and drink for $1.50.  Sweet. Most calories per dollar you can get.

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Yes sir. You can have a beer or shot, tip 5 bucks and still have a reasonably priced meal

I’m curious if those kettle chips will be a regular thing or just for the special.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

@Brandon have you tried Junction 59? The wife and I quite like that one too, the 10yr old not so much. The other out of town spot that you should try is Colin’s House in Beasuejour. Everything is made from scratch in house except the dessert and chicken fingers, might just be the best fries in the province. Just about anything on the menu can be Celiac friendly so I really enjoy my visits. Also struggle to decide between tacos and fish and chips, always start with a plate of beet chips.

Edited by GCJenks
Typo

50 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I’m curious if those kettle chips will be a regular thing or just for the special.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

@Brandon have you tried Junction 59? The wife and I quite like that one too, the 10yr old not so much. The other out of town spot that you should try is Colin’s House in Beasuejour. Everything is made from scratch in house except the dessert and chicken fingers, might just be the best fries in the province. Just about anything on the menu can be Celiac friendly so I really enjoy my visits. Also struggle to decide between tacos and fish and chips, always start with a plate of beet chips.

I have not tried Colin's house but will add that to the list thank you for the recommendation. 

I have gone to Drifters in Lac Du Bonnet and from the outside it doesn't look nice but the inside looks new and the food was really good.    The only other restaurant in that area of Manitoba that I've gone multiple time is the Hillside Beach eatery  (near Grand Beach),  the pizza is ridiculously good on a nice hot summer day.  Well worth the travel and visit.   

6 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Wife and I both saw this special and so it was hot dogs for supper tonight, along with air fryer poutine. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10160255075745491&set=a.77696030490&type=3

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Does Roxy's give out a stipend to anyone who mentions that restaurant's name? Just asking...

Did you not see me whining that I couldn’t even get a table last time I tried?  I see no harm in talking about a good locally owned restaurant. There just appears to be a few of us that live in or patronize the particular area. 

12 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Did you not see me whining that I couldn’t even get a table last time I tried?  I see no harm in talking about a good locally owned restaurant. There just appears to be a few of us that live in or patronize the particular area. 

Nope, you can talk about Roxy's's all you want. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2023-01-25 at 12:36 PM, GCJenks said:

Looks like a Lorena Bobbitt special.