Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I wonder if the owner will be more considerate on rental prices or if he'll try to gouge like he did when COVID started.  

I'm not sure if that would be the best location considering Famous Dave is only a few minutes away.   

Famous Dave's is pretty dead these days, from what I've seen.  The few times I've been, the food has been hit or miss.  

I was actually at Bigg Smoak's out in Steinbach on Saturday and their food was amazing.   They are also very connected to the local BBQ/Smoking community (running classes & holding competitions) so they have a decent following already.  Whether or not that will translate to support for a second location is anyone's guess though.

18 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I'll promote a friend's restaurant.  At true North Square.  Miss Browns. My friend owns it and yeah, solid place 

Do they still have a spot on William Ave in the Exchange?  I went there a few times (pre-pandemic) and it was always great food.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

I'll promote a friend's restaurant.  At true North Square.  Miss Browns. My friend owns it and yeah, solid place 

Does "Goalie sent me" get me 10% off?

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

FcxspKW.png

Least they spelt BBQ right. 

Don't see that post on their FB page. Hmmmm 🤔🤔🤔

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Famous Dave's is pretty dead these days, from what I've seen.  The few times I've been, the food has been hit or miss.  

I was actually at Bigg Smoak's out in Steinbach on Saturday and their food was amazing.   They are also very connected to the local BBQ/Smoking community (running classes & holding competitions) so they have a decent following already.  Whether or not that will translate to support for a second location is anyone's guess though.

Famous Dave's from my experiences has degraded both in quality and quantity over the last three or so years.    We've found the place to also be really quiet with only a few tables with people and the service has been really sub par.   It is good however for catering,  we've used them a few times for the kids birthday parties and it's always been a hit.  

I wonder if Bigg Smoak were to go closer to downtown that it could fill the void of Lovey's closing up shop?  Back in the day Lovey's was almost always busy and had a tonne of people getting take out also.   Either way the city needs more places for Brisket and Pulled Pork!  

8 hours ago, iHeart said:

the menu kind of reminds of Famous Dave's a little bit. and oh btw Pony Corral is an even shorter distance away

You can cay the menu seems similar but there is no comparison. Rob’s food is prepared from scratch and smoked incredibly. Would be a loss for Steinbach if he leaves. 

11 minutes ago, iHeart said:

oh so it's speculation for now nothing is confirmed? well I don' know how much longer Famous Dave's would have left but maybe I should have a couple more goes...i really wish they didn't discontinue their crispy wedges

Big Smoak is at Goldeyes games this year, opens tomorrow at 5pm for the exhibition game. Might have to buy some baseball tickets. 

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

I wonder if Bigg Smoak were to go closer to downtown that it could fill the void of Lovey's closing up shop?  Back in the day Lovey's was almost always busy and had a tonne of people getting take out also.   Either way the city needs more places for Brisket and Pulled Pork!  

Pure speculation on my part but their current location has ample parking that allows them to hold BBQ competitions (as they did this weekend).  The Tony Roma's location would also allow for this so I wonder if that's a reason for them looking at that spot.  It would be harder to find that much room closer to downtown I suspect.

37 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Moxie's will be moving out of Canada Life centre after 18 years I don't have much info on it because I'm not currently logged into the free press website

They're reno'ing the north end of the arena. 

9 minutes ago, iHeart said:

wait is moxie's going to be a part of the Shark Club next door?

I doubt it.  Moxies and Shark Club have the same owners so I'm guessing when they say "join us", they are referring to other locations/restaurants owned by Northland Properties.