Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

man iHop needs a second location, the Tony Roma's building on my end has been empty for two years, and the vacant lot where the first Winnipeg McDonalds was.....actually it should be another fast good joint....WE NEED A CULVERS

Transcona/ East&North Kildonan do not need another chain fast food place. We need decent family restaurant with home made food. What I wouldn’t do for a Taverna Rodos, Papa’s, DJays or so many others that the city has but this area is void of. 

5 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Transcona/ East&North Kildonan do not need another chain fast food place. We need decent family restaurant with home made food. What I wouldn’t do for a Taverna Rodos, Papa’s, DJays or so many others that the city has but this area is void of. 

Rae's Bistro is up in North Kildonan and the food is fantastic.

12 hours ago, iHeart said:

man iHop needs a second location, the Tony Roma's building on my end has been empty for two years, and the vacant lot where the first Winnipeg McDonalds was.....actually it should be another fast good joint....WE NEED A CULVERS

Living in the same area.... that area of town desperately needs less fast food, greasy spoon, or generic white people food (i.e. Perkins/Applebees/Boston Pizza)  restaurants and sure can use a Thai,  Greek,  or Italian restaurant.    

6 hours ago, Sard said:

Rae's Bistro  Jonseys  is up in North Kildonan East St Paul and the food is fantastic.

Fixed that for you :)   

Rae's is really good but have really over priced themselves and they removed the kids menu when ownership changed.  The last time I went they had a plate of Yam Fries as a daily special and it was $14 dollars... that's insane.  

Perkins is gone......but Chungchun Rice Dogs is Korean hot dogs (trust me once you've had their stuff you will never want to buy pogos again) though I'm actually hoping it goes into where the 'Za was but there's enough fast food in that area, I mean there's a DQ and a Five Guys and a Ben and Florentine and a sushi place

Edited by iHeart

11 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Perkins is gone......but Chungchun Rice Dogs is Korean hot dogs (trust me once you've had their stuff you will never want to buy pogos again) though I'm actually hoping it goes into where the 'Za was but there's enough fast food in that area, I mean there's a DQ and a Five Guys and a Ben and Florentine and a sushi place

Perkins was replaced by R n R which is basically the same as Perkins (frozen white people food heated up).  My Mom likes it... it seemed to be full of a lot of seniors both times that I went with her.  

I'm assuming the reason that this area is basically all greasy hamburger / chicken places is because of the clientele in Elmood/T-Cona are not the type that eats out side of comfort food.   I was at KP yesterday in the food court for about a half an hour and the placed was packed and each place had a consistent line of 5 people or so... with exception of the newer African place which didn't get a single customer at all.    

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Perkins was replaced by R n R which is basically the same as Perkins (frozen white people food heated up).  My Mom likes it... it seemed to be full of a lot of seniors both times that I went with her.  

I'm assuming the reason that this area is basically all greasy hamburger / chicken places is because of the clientele in Elmood/T-Cona are not the type that eats out side of comfort food.   I was at KP yesterday in the food court for about a half an hour and the placed was packed and each place had a consistent line of 5 people or so... with exception of the newer African place which didn't get a single customer at all.    

I can't speak for Elmwood but you're using outdated stereotypes for Transcona.  The population is much more diverse these days and I know I can find Indian, Syrian and Filipino restaurants all within a 5 minute drive from me.

6 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I can't speak for Elmwood but you're using outdated stereotypes for Transcona.  The population is much more diverse these days and I know I can find Indian, Syrian and Filipino restaurants all within a 5 minute drive from me.

I cannot tell you how many times I've driven by the Wendy's on Plessis and have seen the drive thru wrapped around with cars going back to Regent.  And this is even during odd hour times like 10 pm at night.      The area is still heavily into burgers and french fries.   

The whole side of town has some options but it's very limited... it's sad that the fancy Italian place is considered the Olive Garden lol, the top Vietnamese restaurant is a donut store, Henderson Hwy has basically nothing but fried chicken places etc....

Compared to when I'm at work (Polo Park and Kenaston area) in which they have multiple options for each style of cuisine.   

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I cannot tell you how many times I've driven by the Wendy's on Plessis and have seen the drive thru wrapped around with cars going back to Regent.  And this is even during odd hour times like 10 pm at night.      The area is still heavily into burgers and french fries.   

The whole side of town has some options but it's very limited... it's sad that the fancy Italian place is considered the Olive Garden lol, the top Vietnamese restaurant is a donut store, Henderson Hwy has basically nothing but fried chicken places etc....

Compared to when I'm at work (Polo Park and Kenaston area) in which they have multiple options for each style of cuisine.   

Every area is still heavily into Burgers and Fries, that's not exclusive to this end of the city and I've seen the same traffic at the Wendy's on Fermor (check out that strip if you want to see an area that is overwhelmingly Burgers and Fries).

I agree that the options on/near Henderson are lacking.  I was skeptical about Grand Donut (just based on the name) but co-workers swore by the Banh Mi so I gave it a shot (it was fantastic).  I haven't tried anything else from there so I can't rate it overall but Watt St Bistro is another decent option for Vietnamese in that area. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

trust me they actually BEGGED for a Wendy's for a long time (I'm in the Transcona group on facebook) but I have seen people ask where to get good Chinese, plus there's this other place that's different I can't remember it's name but it's usually not open in the Winter

8 minutes ago, iHeart said:

trust me they actually BEGGED for a Wendy's for a long time (I'm in the Transcona group on facebook) but I have seen people ask where to get good Chinese, plus there's this other place that's different I can't remember it's name but it's usually not open in the Winter

I'm assuming this is Maggi's (Syrian food) - they took over the Whistle Pig's location a few years ago and like the WP, they close down for the winter.

yeah that's it

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

no they have different stuff they dropped the mozza sticks and they have a different line of desserts (perkins NEVER sold Boston Cream Pie) If it were the same they would have the Peanut Butter Silk pie complete with a Reese's cup

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Every area is still heavily into Burgers and Fries, that's not exclusive to this end of the city and I've seen the same traffic at the Wendy's on Fermor (check out that strip if you want to see an area that is overwhelmingly Burgers and Fries).

I agree that the options on/near Henderson are lacking.  I was skeptical about Grand Donut (just based on the name) but co-workers swore by the Banh Mi so I gave it a shot (it was fantastic).  I haven't tried anything else from there so I can't rate it overall but Watt St Bistro is another decent option for Vietnamese in that area. 

I am not aware of any Thai ,  Vietnamese,  Jamaican,  Greek,  Mexican,  Italian,  Shawarma places in T-Cona area.   The Asian options and Sushi are also severely limited.      Meanwhile on the other side of town you have numerous options for those types of food. 

I lived off of Fermor and St Anne's... that area is a special area that should be mocked more then T-Cona... the characters that would walk over from the Beliveau appartments in that area felt like I was living in an episode of Trailer Park Boys. 

Fortunately a new Jamaican place is "suppose" to open up near Munroe same with an Ethopian restaurant so slowly this area of town is getting more options.      

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

I feel like we must see each other on the daily commute. That or my alter ego is posting under your name. Love Jonesey’s but so busy again that you have to plan ahead. I also like Jeffery’s and Junction 59. The 9yr old has no love for 59 so that’s out most times. 

8 hours ago, bigg jay said:

7 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I'm assuming this is Maggi's (Syrian food) - they took over the Whistle Pig's location a few years ago and like the WP, they close down for the winter.

We may have had our last meal at Watt Street Bistro, drove by there Saturday evening and it looks to be gone. 

Would be so nice to have a Bellamy’s, Big Guys, Pasquale’s or something similar. 

I’m a little surprised no one has said “ What about Dals or Charley’s”. Been there, done that and don’t need to again. They don’t make it easy to match our dietary restrictions.  

On 2022-05-01 at 8:19 PM, iHeart said:

FcxspKW.png

I wonder if the owner will be more considerate on rental prices or if he'll try to gouge like he did when COVID started.  

I'm not sure if that would be the best location considering Famous Dave is only a few minutes away.   

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I wonder if the owner will be more considerate on rental prices or if he'll try to gouge like he did when COVID started.  

I'm not sure if that would be the best location considering Famous Dave is only a few minutes away.   

the menu kind of reminds of Famous Dave's a little bit. and oh btw Pony Corral is an even shorter distance away