Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

really? he owned that?! I guess I did go there once

I don't think Don Cherry was involved in the Grapes restaurants that were at Kenaston & Grant, on Main near York, on Pembina (Pier 7), etc. His restaurants were called "Don Cherry's Grill" or something like that.

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

This isn't the same as "Grapes" restaurant that was kind of like the Keg and had purple grapes as a logo.   That chain had a few locations around town and closed around ten years ago.  Just to make things more confusing. 

16 hours ago, iHeart said:

another eatery bites the dust (I think it's in the same area as Canadian Brewhouse) I haven't had Mr.Mikes myself though

https://accesswinnipeg.com/2020/07/mr-mikes-steakhouse-on-kenaston-permanently-closes-its-doors/?fbclid=IwAR0yBpjOvOBRZybbOBjOz66PREbHIIy83-IIlmGXDGiT6xhL-VxOLURxaYw

It was next to the Steinbach Credit Union at McGillivray and Kenaston, in the same block as the Canadian Tire. Went once, was very underwhelmed. Montana`s was way better, if I was to vote on it.

10 minutes ago, Stretch said:

I don't think Don Cherry was involved in the Grapes restaurants that were at Kenaston & Grant, on Main near York, on Pembina (Pier 7), etc. His restaurants were called "Don Cherry's Grill" or something like that.

oh well then I don't think I've eaten there. 

2 hours ago, Stretch said:

3 hours ago, iHeart said:

Yeah Don Cherry's Sports Grill.

On 2020-07-06 at 4:33 PM, Super Duper Negatron said:

Mr Mikes was just a matter of time. Super mediocre. When your thing is steak "casual", and Montana's does it better, you are in trouble.

IMO, of course.

The Mr Mike’s here in the Peg was a lousy representation of the brand. I am surprised the franchisee didn’t get booted. 

Couple more ice cream adventures. Dug and Betty’s is just excellent. No other way to put it. Top quality ice cream with generous portions. Sour cherry with dark chocolate is my new favourite, the pistachio does not disappoint.  

Tonight tried Sweet Annie’s for the first time. Bus stop out front, routes 19 and 50. It’s about a block North of Fermor on Westmount (South side is Beaverhill). Generous portions and the option of some baked treats as well. Both Vegan and Keto dessert options available. 

We’ve completed our list of new to try, anyone else have a “secret” favourite place?

4 hours ago, GCJenks said:

The Mr Mike’s here in the Peg was a lousy representation of the brand. I am surprised the franchisee didn’t get booted. 

The one I went to in Dauphin was really good,  the place was very clean and modern and the food tasted good to me. 

23 hours ago, Brandon said:

This isn't the same as "Grapes" restaurant that was kind of like the Keg and had purple grapes as a logo.   That chain had a few locations around town and closed around ten years ago.  Just to make things more confusing. 

True, Grapes was a Winnipeg chain & closed its doors for good in July of 2010. Don Cherry owns Don Cherry's Sports Grill with locations across Canada. Since he was turfed last November from Sportsnet, I don't know how that has affected his restaurants.

35 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

True, Grapes was a Winnipeg chain & closed its doors for good in July of 2010. Don Cherry owns Don Cherry's Sports Grill with locations across Canada. Since he was turfed last November from Sportsnet, I don't know how that has affected his restaurants.

You people ought to be grateful to be allowed to come in there.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Never have I seen a colleague throw his friend under a bus faster than Ron MacLean to save his skin. What a snake. 

Ron McLean had to put up with Cherry's off-screen objectionable comments for years and said nothing, so he was desperate to not get tarred with the same brush as Cherry. I do not blame him to get away from that.

On 2020-07-06 at 4:33 PM, Super Duper Negatron said:

Mr Mikes was just a matter of time. Super mediocre. When your thing is steak "casual", and Montana's does it better, you are in trouble.

IMO, of course.

Definitely mediocre and it was no surprise to read about them closing.  I had high hopes for them based on things I had heard but was very disappointed the few times I went.

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Ron McLean had to put up with made his career off of Cherry's off-screen objectionable comments for years and said nothing, so he was desperate to not get tarred with the same brush as Cherry. I do not blame him to get away from that.

Fixed :) 

8 hours ago, Tracker said:

Ron McLean had to put up with Cherry's off-screen objectionable comments for years and said nothing, so he was desperate to not get tarred with the same brush as Cherry. I do not blame him to get away from that.

Cherry made Ron Maclean. Before CC he was just a young CBC sportscaster from Red Deer that nobody knew or cared about. Cherry made MacLean wealthy as well because his show was so popular & he rose up through the CBC ranks on HNIC because of it. Conveniently he saved his ass over Don when the chips were down. I think Cherry's time had come but Maclean went & saved himself. When Cherry went on his "You People" rant there was MacLean sitting in silence & nodding his head yes.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, iHeart said:

the US Franchisee filed for Bankruptcy, not the Canadian Franchisee

It would be A franchisee since there is no one single franchise owner in either the US or Canada. 

This particular one was rather large though (the guy owns about 1200 Pizza Huts and 400 Wendy's).

https://popculture.com/trending/news/pizza-hut-wendys-bankruptcy-franchise/