Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

On ‎2020‎-‎06‎-‎10 at 9:54 PM, Brandon said:

I posted a few before that I think sold some folks on going to the place.   It's a good place we've never had bad food in many visits

You guys and Jonesys are going to be the death of me!

So had had to make a trip out that way for work today. Thought I'd stop in and grab something to go. Had a burger, and it was one of the best I've ever had. I'm into burger that pays attention to the patty used, not just piling on a variety of toppings and calling it a day. I think I might have to make another excuse for the almost 40 km trip one way.

well I don't have nostalgia for this place because for one thing I had never been in one, also would this be one of those cases where if you've been to one of these places you've been to all of them? but that's probably not true because Adventure City didn't have what they had, AC had a train. I don't know what DZ had that Chuck E Cheese didn't have (but then again I don't think DZ made it's way here) 

My memories of Chuck E Cheese was the poor guy in the mascot costume being beaten by little kids non stop.  Constantly stomping on his feet and punching him .  

Also the ticket machines breaking and spitting out a full roll of tickets.

Finally beating the Ninja Turtles arcade game with 3 strangers was probably one of my highlights of my youth lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out that BDI won't reopen at KP.....stupid virus.

they'd better replace it with something that will make me want to go there often (like a Rocky Mountain Chocolates, or a Lindt chocolatier, which actually does do ice cream something I found out when I visited the location near IKEA, or even a BR do you know how disappointed I was when that moved out of Portage Place?)

3 hours ago, iHeart said:

they'd better replace it with something that will make me want to go there often (like a Rocky Mountain Chocolates, or a Lindt chocolatier, which actually does do ice cream something I found out when I visited the location near IKEA, or even a BR do you know how disappointed I was when that moved out of Portage Place?)

Closing for good?  I'm surprised they didn't just go with a smaller kiosk,  rent at food courts is stupid expensive.   

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Closing for good?  I'm surprised they didn't just go with a smaller kiosk,  rent at food courts is stupid expensive.   

I wish they had frozen the rent for all the businesses there, maybe Arby's would still be there as well.

They haven't started dismantling yet, but now I'm going to have to try and resort to other ice cream places (their main location is way too far for me), I'll be going out and doing stuff downtown and I think I'll go to Tee Yah's after I get some Bodegoes (if they still do chicken fingers) Neon Cone is a little bit closer to me but I'd have to spend alot of time at the forks, I hope Phantom Amusements is still there

There are plenty of empty businesses at KP with another one already having the Store Closing banners, KP is kind of turning into Portage place but without the trouble makers (but then again I've never encountered any in the few times I went to Portage Place by myself, I mean if anything I actually once helped a woman pick stuff up off the floor after she spilled a bag of stuff that wasn't food)

4 hours ago, iHeart said:

Sargeant Sundae on Portage Avenue near the Deer Lodge Center is pretty good, but ti doesn't have the ambience or the history of the BDI. Sad.

I'm going to say it.... BDI is highly over rated.  It's the equivalent of Mitsy's Chicken Fingers and Jeannie's Cakes where Peggers rave about it but it's really super average.  

I'm not sure about what Ice Cream places that T-Cona has that you can go to... but if you're down Henderson Hwy Sweet Tops has really high quality ice cream that's tasty.   

there is a place close to KMTS, i had tried their twisters or whatever weather phenomenon they normally call it and well, I don't think the rocks or the salts ever get dissolved or something like that

I think I had sweet tops once but I don't really remember the experience, but maybe I'll give it another try

I do miss BJ's ice cream though, used to be near Munroe library, I think it closed in 2000

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I'm going to say it.... BDI is highly over rated.  It's the equivalent of Mitsy's Chicken Fingers and Jeannie's Cakes where Peggers rave about it but it's really super average.  

I'm not sure about what Ice Cream places that T-Cona has that you can go to... but if you're down Henderson Hwy Sweet Tops has really high quality ice cream that's tasty.  

Tap & Hold to Copy GIF
giphy.gif

9 hours ago, iHeart said:

It’s too bad you don’t drive. Golf Central on Plessis South of Duglad Rd is excellent    Probably half the price of BDI and better. Dug and Betty’s in St B is superb as well, corner of Marion and DesMeurons. Of course if you get a chance for a road trip go to the Dairy Bar in Beausejour for dipped and rolled cones. (More on dining in Beausejour in a minute) 

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

Sub Zero used to be good but I stopped going when the lady with the thick glasses started to become really nasty to customers.  It's on Brazier I think. 

Sub Zero has new owners again and is back to being decent. They were even doing online orders for pick up via Door Dash. 

Took the drive out Hwy 44 to Beausejour yesterday. I’d been hearing some buzz about a new place that was very Celiac friendly and wanted to try it. 

Colin’s House opened about 7 months ago and is owned by 2 Colins that have plenty of experience in the biz. Menu is small and tight but everything we had was superb. Some basic items have a little fine dining touch at the same time the triple cooked fries had my seven year declaring them better than McD’s...

If you are in the mood to drive farther than Jonesy’s you should check out Colins House. Then walk up the street to the DairyBar (don’t eat the crap at the Dairy Bar)... 

https://www.colinshouse.com/

46 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

It’s too bad you don’t drive. Golf Central on Plessis South of Duglad Rd is excellent    Probably half the price of BDI and better. Dug and Betty’s in St B is superb as well, corner of Marion and DesMeurons. Of course if you get a chance for a road trip go to the Dairy Bar in Beausejour for dipped and rolled cones. (More on dining in Beausejour in a minute) 

Sub Zero has new owners again and is back to being decent. They were even doing online orders for pick up via Door Dash. 

I've heard many praises about Golf Central (I'm actually shocked they can pull off a Jolly Rancher flurry)  I do take a bus around but it doesn't seem to be a bus friendly trek (I tried looking up the place and it kind of looks like it's in the middle of nowhere

6 minutes ago, iHeart said:

So, something I came across today while seeing the Transcona group on facebook  talk about restaurants that don't exist anymore, did Don Cherry really have his own restaurant back in the day?

In Winnipeg they had one I think it is where 5 Guys is.... either in that location or closer to Boston Pizza. 

In Ontario he had quite a few restaurants,  they were very much like the Boston Pizza lounge.   Lots of hockey and UFC and average food.  

Mr Mikes -  I've only gone to the one in Dauphin a few times and it was really good,  I found it better then Montana's. 

5 hours ago, iHeart said:

So, something I came across today while seeing the Transcona group on facebook  talk about restaurants that don't exist anymore, did Don Cherry really have his own restaurant back in the day?

Yes, it was called grapes, it was an ok place.