Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Crap I didn't know Lovey's closed shop for good.   Does Winnipeg have any BBQ places aside from Famous Daves?

If you want really good BBQ and don't mind a drive Bigg Smoke in Steinbach really good BBQ 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Crap I didn't know Lovey's closed shop for good.   Does Winnipeg have any BBQ places aside from Famous Daves?

Montana's? Pony Corall?

those are the only ones I can think of at the top of my head, kind of makes me wish we had a Texas Roadhouse here

Edited by iHeart

51 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

If you want really good BBQ and don't mind a drive Bigg Smoke in Steinbach really good BBQ 

I had them when they had a place in harbour view...  found them to be super bland =\

I was told of a place called Blue Haze in beausejour... will have to try them out.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I had them when they had a place in harbour view...  found them to be super bland =\

I was told of a place called Blue Haze in beausejour... will have to try them out.

Bigg Smoak = Steinbach

Smokin Hawg = Harbour View.

Originally 2 different companies, but it looks like Bigg Smoak took over them over last summer.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Bigg Smoak = Steinbach

Smokin Hawg = Harbour View.

Originally 2 different companies, but it looks like Bigg Smoak took over them over last summer.

Is it the same food though....  Smokin Hawg cooked everything beautifully but the meat and the sides all had absolutely no flavour.

39 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Then they didn’t cook it beautifully. 

I went to a place about 5 years ago on Grant and Pembina (name escapes me) but they had brisket that was dried out almost like jerky.  They also had pulled pork that was also dried out and chewy.... that I consider poorly cooked.  

The place at harbour view was juicy and the sides were all made well (proper texture and fresh and moist).   Everything just lacked flavour when I went.  The rub on the brisket tasted only of pepper and the potato chips had no seasoning on it at all and the other sides just tasted like nothing.  They didn't even have a bbq sauce to use as a dip.   It was however cooked properly unlike that first place I went to.

When googling for the name of that first place.... I found this link:  https://www.iheartbbq.ca/

Has anyone been to this place?

25 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There goes another Winnipeg institution.  How can they survive? So sad & frustrating. 

they didn't exactly say they were closing down for good, they're just kind of saying the Drive thru experiment didn't work and they are closing again

18 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

People need to smarten up. Local business trying to keep people safe and survive and NIMBYers shut it down.

Well, if you can't get your car in & out of the driveway that is a big problem.  But those homes on Jubilee have backlanes & garages so...

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, if you can't get your car in & out of the driveway that is a big problem.  But those homes on Jubilee have backlanes & garages so...

The lineup was in the eastbound curb lane, where there is no back lane and the driveways go right on to Jubilee. They literally have an entire bridge they could have people line up six feet apart on. Or send the line down the sidewalk...

17 hours ago, nate007 said:

The lineup was in the eastbound curb lane, where there is no back lane and the driveways go right on to Jubilee. They literally have an entire bridge they could have people line up six feet apart on. Or send the line down the sidewalk...

Yeah I think that will be the way they go.  They'll put down some markings for social distancing and line people up.  The drive thru idea wasnt bad...they could have tweaked it with, perhaps, more staff but there is a maximum number of treats you can make at once.