Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

You're all wusses until you have eaten a beef suicide roti from Tropikis at 878 Ellice Avenue. It is addictive, however and curry lovers will be ecstatic.

I've had it many times,  it's tasty and the lady is absolutely bonkers who owns it.   

Not very spicy IMO.... I had some really spicy Ethopian food down the street (name escapes me).... now that stuff is deadly. 

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

It's no rumour.  The owner had confirmed the news a few months ago that it was coming.

FB-IMG-1588551747357.jpg

Sadly this made my day...possibly month!   

The location on Henderson used to be busy all of the time it was surprising that it closed down.  The food is light years better then the crap at McD's and BK....

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

Sadly this made my day...possibly month!   

The location on Henderson used to be busy all of the time it was surprising that it closed down.  The food is light years better then the crap at McD's and BK....

I was shocked when the Henderson location shut down.

Having a new location within walking distance could be a blessing and a curse for me! 😂

On 2020-05-03 at 12:37 PM, Brandon said:

I'd drink the rootbeer milk.... use it for milkshakes maybe also?

Now for the rumour that I hope the t-cona folks on here can confirm....

New Wendy's opening up on Regent and Plessis???  This end of town is sadly without Wendys after both of them closed down :(

I wasn't exactly without a Wendy's for awhile my old workplace had a wendy's nearby, i guess it will be nice to have it on my neck of the woods but it's not exactly close enough for me to want to get to by bus, I wish something would take that vacant lot where the first McDonalds in this city used to be. 

5 hours ago, iHeart said:

I wasn't exactly without a Wendy's for awhile my old workplace had a wendy's nearby, i guess it will be nice to have it on my neck of the woods but it's not exactly close enough for me to want to get to by bus, I wish something would take that vacant lot where the first McDonalds in this city used to be. 

Probably apartments the way this city works. That's a big azz property.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

First a deadly pandemic.  And now this???  How much can an Arby's franchise cost?  Lets open one.

well, now that Wendy's is going to open in Transcona sometime next year we might as well get an Arby's opened down there. Makes me sad that all the Arby's in town slowly went away, Bell MTS, Shaw Park, Polo Park, the area where the 'Za in my neck of the woods is currently standing, now KP

Unless it's going to go in the new expanded food court

I'll miss their Mozza Sticks....and their Chicken bacon swiss's

Edited by iHeart

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

well, now that Wendy's is going to open in Transcona sometime next year we might as well get an Arby's opened down there. Makes me sad that all the Arby's in town slowly went away, Bell MTS, Shaw Park, Polo Park, the area where the 'Za in my neck of the woods is currently standing, now KP

Unless it's going to go in the new expanded food court

I'll miss their Mozza Sticks....and their Chicken bacon swiss's

I live in the south end and we only briefly had an Arby's (On Pembina near McGillivray).  I'd drive to the one on Portage or Regent and then finally, do the KP location once a month or so for their sweet beef n' cheddars and curly fries.  Seems crazy Winnipeg has ZERO Arby's now.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

I knew a few people who had worked at Arby's years ago.....  I don't know about eating meat that came to them in goo form which they then congealed and cooked and pass it off as roast beef.   The fries were on point though.   

I dont care how its made.  It tastes awesome.

Also, the "goo" is, apparently, an urban legend.  I think Snopes debunked this.  It comes to the store in a vacuum sealed bag that also contains some sort of "broth".  But its allegedly real roast beef.   And its awesome.  And sliced to order.  Your friends must be among those people that claim to work for Arby's when they dont because it's obviously the coolest place to work 😉 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

50 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Also, the "goo" is, apparently, an urban legend.  I think Snopes debunked this.  It comes to the store in a vacuum sealed bag that also contains some sort of "broth".  But its allegedly real roast beef.   And its awesome.  And sliced to order.  Your friends must be among those people that claim to work for Arby's when they dont because it's obviously the coolest place to work 😉 

yeah you guys had this convo awhile back like in late 2018

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well it's not much different from how processed chicken was used to make McNuggets for years.   I'd assume cold cuts are the same idea.     I remember watching one of those "how is it made" with how they make hot dogs and how they give it a smokey flavour and how it starts as a gray gooey paste and they add color to make it more appetizing....  sometimes ignorance is bliss lol.  

14 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Well it's not much different from how processed chicken was used to make McNuggets for years.   I'd assume cold cuts are the same idea.     I remember watching one of those "how is it made" with how they make hot dogs and how they give it a smokey flavour and how it starts as a gray gooey paste and they add color to make it more appetizing....  sometimes ignorance is bliss lol.  

Sure, sausage, weiners, et. al. have a grey colour unless you add colouring or use reddish coloured salt.  Trust me on this, it’s the same with the homemade ones, it’s just the colour you get when you grind up pork or beef. 

46 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Well there are articles online debunking the Arby’s goo myth so I don’t think it’s ignorance on my part. Lol 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well there are articles online debunking the Arby’s goo myth so I don’t think it’s ignorance on my part. Lol 

https://www.mashed.com/145296/the-truth-about-arbys-roast-beef/

Pretty much what my friend said... comes in a bag with gel and a squishy "meat" and is then cooked.    Maybe the claim of it being pure liquid is a stretch but it's not that far off.   This isn't a fresh piece of meat that's roasted and sliced to order.  It's some frankenstein meat lol.

It's like Subway's claim of chicken.... it's technically mostly chicken but it definitely isn't the normal stuff you get at real restaurants (view marketplace episode for the details).

well at least BK still has Mozzarella sticks, but it doesn't taste the same though, and they don't offer sizes for them like Arby's did

I wonder what will go in it's place? no seriously I can't think of a possible thing.

Edited by iHeart

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

well at least BK still has Mozzarella sticks, but it doesn't taste the same though, and they don't offer sizes for them like Arby's did

I wonder what will go in it's place? no seriously I can't think of a possible thing.

Well the food court is moving/remodeling so who knows how much room they are gonna have when done.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

https://www.mashed.com/145296/the-truth-about-arbys-roast-beef/

Pretty much what my friend said... comes in a bag with gel and a squishy "meat" and is then cooked.    Maybe the claim of it being pure liquid is a stretch but it's not that far off.   This isn't a fresh piece of meat that's roasted and sliced to order.  It's some frankenstein meat lol.

It's like Subway's claim of chicken.... it's technically mostly chicken but it definitely isn't the normal stuff you get at real restaurants (view marketplace episode for the details).

I certainly will not defend the fast food industry, they can look after themselves quite well.  Most ground meat is very tasty, but the way it looks coming out of the grinder is anything but appetizing.  

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well the food court is moving/remodeling so who knows how much room they are gonna have when done.

That's true I guess they should start slowly moving things around, I should probably go on a couple of more BDI runs before everything is moved

Edited by iHeart

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

With Arby's gone from Kildonan Place....  that leaves it with A&W and Subway as the only safe places to eat....  I really hope after the renos that they get a  whole new set of food options.  Jimmy the Greek would be nice! 

I can always get NY Fries if I have to, or even get a pretzel dog from Mr Pretzel (surely there's nothing wrong with the former)

Edited by iHeart

50 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I can always get NY Fries if I have to, or even get a pretzel dog from Mr Pretzel (surely there's nothing wrong with the former)

I forgot about NY Fries...  My mind always goes to the extremely sub par asian options which are yuck.