Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

it appears that Dairy Queen has unveiled their summer menu items, aside from the chicken and waffle basket (I really don't understand the appeal of chicken and waffles I really don't), and the dreamiscle dipped cone (so is it supposed to be an orange flavouring?)

they dropped the royal blizzard with the strawberries

here are the blizzards

Image may contain: hat

so I guess no s'more blizzard this year? (I guess I could always try and get the stuff from BDI, but DQ usually has Marshmallow sauce with the stuff)

Edited by iHeart

41 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I  find that the local ice cream places to be a million times better then Dairy Queen.  Sweet Tops on Henderson is ridiculously good and the ice cream doesn't melt and taste like water like it does at DQ.

KO's in Headingley - best soft ice cream in MB.  But I'll go to any place that serves blue licorice - just cannot buy that stuff in bulk anywhere. 

I never saw any of them as tasting like water, it's allegedly supposed to be iced milk, but hey I'm sure they're all better than the stuff at McD's because usually when I order a McFlurry I get stiffed on the pieces, and that's why I never order a cadbury creme egg mcflurry from there anymore

I do have positive things to say about the local flavours though, I've had BDI, I've had neon cone, I...haven't had the stuff from Golf Central but I heard amazing things about it

Edited by iHeart

Having two little kids and dealing with ice cream cones I definitely can say that Dairy Queen has the lowest quality of ice cream.   Literally it starts melting the second you get it.   I'm guessing it's because of a higher water content over the dairy?  It's a disaster with my kids because right away it gets all over their hands and clothes.

We went to dairy queen the other day at work and my co worker had a dreamsicle cone and had to throw it out because the time it took them to make my oreo mint mcflurry his cone completely melted and was soup.    Also a big thumbs down in the oreo mint mcflurry....  regular vanilla ice cream with some green squirts of "mint" shot into the flurry was extremely mediocre. 

When I go to a Sweet Tops or Cool Encounters local type store the cones stay solid for at least 5 - 10 minutes before slight meltage.  Also the flavours actually taste like what they are advertised ....

DQ is only ahead of McDonald's ice cream afaik.  In the north east part of the city, there are at least 4 other places, off the top of my head, that I would go to 1st. 

Sweet Tops, Sub Zero, Coney Island and the ice cream shop inside the driving range on Plessis are all far better than DQ.  The driving range is surprisingly good and their soft serve cones are huge compared to other places.

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Not sure they'll make the opening and even then wait a month before they get things straight.

well no kidding, Fresh co on my end of the planet was supposed to open last month but it looks like it won't open til May

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Not sure they'll make the opening and even then wait a month before they get things straight.

This might not be a chain, but it's run by Eatz Enterprises, the same company that owns Moxies so they know what they are doing.  I doubt it will take them long to get things going once the doors open.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2019-05-15 at 10:23 AM, Jimmy Pop said:

Wpg's 2nd Popeyes Chicken coming to Westwood... moving into Hakim Optical's spot at Portage and Cavalier. 

RIP Jimmy's waistline 🤣

oh good, they're spreading, I'm hoping it comes to my end of town eventually maybe it can go into the eventual vacant spot that will soon used to be Hudson's Bay Home, or Payless

Edited by iHeart

New Popeyes rumoured to open up at Henderson and Chief Peguis near Boston Pizza.    I tried Popeyes on Kenaston and found it extremely mediocre.  On par with KFC which isn't saying much at all. 

In unrelated news I saw a Facebook post that had someone with a picture of maggots in their food at Yes buffet from this past weekend.   Yikes! 

I saw the same post... I had zero interest in trying Yes before that (Foody Goody has scared me away from any and all chinese buffets like that) and now that picture sealed the deal.

If Popeyes comes to this end of town, I'll try it but if it's KFC-like then it'll be a one and done for me.  I'll stick to Mary Brown's for my fried chicken.