Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
iHeart

Restaurant thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Uhhhh...Arbys RIP?

yeah arby's is starting to get kind of rare these days, I do kind of miss the one that was at BellMTS, but that moved out after the jets came back

Edited by iHeart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped going to Arby's when I found out that the meat comes to the store in a glob of goo that they solidify and then cut into slices and cook.      

KP needs an expansion or at least a few places to switch over to something new.   It's a lot of yuck and not many healthy options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I stopped going to Arby's when I found out that the meat comes to the store in a glob of goo that they solidify and then cut into slices and cook.      

KP needs an expansion or at least a few places to switch over to something new.   It's a lot of yuck and not many healthy options.

Good news, you can go back to Arby's:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/arbys-liquid-meat/

You can actually watch them slice the meat (I cant recall if its visible at the KP location, but they always had the side of beef visible on the slicing machine at other locations.  Very tasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My co worker had worked at Arby's many years ago and confirmed that it was indeed a goo that solidified and that they cooked and sliced.   He said that it was similar to a mixture of the pasty canned cat food mixed with the gelatinous goop that you get with canned dog food.   He absolutely confirmed that it wasn't one solid piece of meat that was being cooked and sliced.   He worked in the mid to late 90's. 

I'm guessing this shouldn't be considered gross since I would assume it's not all that different from the lunch meats you can get at the grocery stores. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ some of the content above.

Having slaughtered thousands of chickens, ducks, & geese in my life - plus hundreds of cattle and pigs - I can tell you that none of it looks appetizing in the slaughterhouse.  If that's your criteria, prepare yourself to not eat a whole pile of stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brandon said:

I do enjoy however when people are convinced that McDonalds beef patties are filled with saw dust and/or some kind of cardboard filler.   That was funny.

I can definitely understand why people would believe that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎09 at 4:24 PM, Brandon said:

I assume T-Cona?   Pizza Hut is way over priced and still very greasy.... you're not missing anything...

The pizzas come out of the oven & they lay on the melted butter.  One of the reasons I never order from them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Brandon said:

I stopped going to Arby's when I found out that the meat comes to the store in a glob of goo that they solidify and then cut into slices and cook.      

KP needs an expansion or at least a few places to switch over to something new.   It's a lot of yuck and not many healthy options.

Not many Burger King's anymore either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The pizzas come out of the oven & they lay on the melted butter.  One of the reasons I never order from them. 

No, they're cooked in vegetable oil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JCon said:

No, they're cooked in vegetable oil. 

Is that what they spray on the pizza after it cooks?  Every so often I have a craving for Pizza Hut and I arrived early to pick up last week.  Watched the pizza get made, go through the oven and then they spray it with something (I assumed it was what gives it a buttery taste on the crust).

Since Panago closed, we tried Pizza Gong (Panago location & owner).  Its really good and the gf likes the fact they have Vegan cheese as an option).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also worked with a guy who had worked with Little Caesars and also said that they used a cheap liquid cheese on top of their pizzas...   unsure if this is true or not but wouldn't doubt it based on how crappy it taste. 

For myself I only worked at McDonalds and I can verify the ones in the T-Cona area are very clean in the kitchen and wouldn't doubt that they have the most clean kitchen out of anyone in the city.   Very well ran and clean.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dated a manager of a Pizza Hut and she told me they were clean and professional UNLESS a customer complained and was rude.  She said you did not want to be a **** and send your pizza back...if you had an issue, get a credit for next time.  

Personally, I worked for Grapes.  That's the extent of my restaurant experience.  Fairly clean kitchen and good food (at the Main St location).  Pier 7 was pretty gross.  I dont know if its true but I heard they closed down to renovate and stopped halfway through when they realized the job was going to too costly to get it up to code.  As staff we always thought it was weird that they closed it since it seemed to be the only Grapes making money.

I recall working the Main St location where we'd have the manager come up to us on Sunday night and say he got a call from the owner or Director of Ops and told how under they were for the week...and we'd be told to make as much money as possible (in terms of how we handled the line up/capacity/over-serving).  Everyone knew it was only a matter of time before they went under.

They gutted the bar on Main st and totally ruined the vibe of the place.  it never recovered.  

I moved on to Pier 7 but wasnt there long as the atmosphere sucked.  I was 19 and worked at Scandals as well.  At Pier 7, I'd work alone doing security when it was packed and there would always be under-age drinkers (I was admonished for ID'ing).  It was fun to a degree (everyone from the manager to the bartenders etc were all openly sleeping with each other and patrons).  But after a few weeks of fighting alone, I instituted some new processes and was told "this isnt Scandals".  I said "yeah, at Scandals we have a team of bouncers, security log books, barring list etc,".  At Pier 7 it was me vs the world every Sunday.  We mutually agreed to part ways.

Scandals was a lot more fun for a 19 year old bouncer (and they had great pizza, bringing this back to the topic)

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I dated a manager of a Pizza Hut and she told me they were clean and professional UNLESS a customer complained and was rude.  She said you did not want to be a **** and send your pizza back...if you had an issue, get a credit for next time.  

Personally, I worked for Grapes.  That's the extent of my restaurant experience.  Fairly clean kitchen and good food (at the Main St location).  Pier 7 was pretty gross.  I dont know if its true but I heard they closed down to renovate and stopped halfway through when they realized the job was going to too costly to get it up to code.  As staff we always thought it was weird that they closed it since it seemed to be the only Grapes making money.

I recall working the Main St location where we'd have the manager come up to us on Sunday night and say he got a call from the owner or Director of Ops and told how under they were for the week...and we'd be told to make as much money as possible (in terms of how we handled the line up/capacity/over-serving).  Everyone knew it was only a matter of time before they went under.

They gutted the bar on Main st and totally ruined the vibe of the place.  it never recovered.  

I moved on to Pier 7 but wasnt there long as the atmosphere sucked.  I was 19 and worked at Scandals as well.  At Pier 7, I'd work alone doing security when it was packed and there would always be under-age drinkers (I was admonished for ID'ing).  It was fun to a degree (everyone from the manager to the bartenders etc were all openly sleeping with each other and patrons).  But after a few weeks of fighting alone, I instituted some new processes and was told "this isnt Scandals".  I said "yeah, at Scandals we have a team of bouncers, security log books, barring list etc,".  At Pier 7 it was me vs the world every Sunday.  We mutually agreed to part ways.

Scandals was a lot more fun for a 19 year old bouncer (and they had great pizza, bringing this back to the topic)

Cheap, good pizza. Thats the topic. Has to be 10-15 range for a large.

As for frozen...I guess anything can go?

 

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm that at many other restaurants that if you are rude then to be afraid of what kind of food you are eating when it comes back.     If you make note of something wrong but are kind and polite about it,  then what you get back will be safe and more then likely better then what you would normally get.     My source for this is my wife...  this is why I never complain about her cooking lol.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I also worked with a guy who had worked with Little Caesars and also said that they used a cheap liquid cheese on top of their pizzas...   unsure if this is true or not but wouldn't doubt it based on how crappy it taste. 

For myself I only worked at McDonalds and I can verify the ones in the T-Cona area are very clean in the kitchen and wouldn't doubt that they have the most clean kitchen out of anyone in the city.   Very well ran and clean.   

My girls love LILCeasar's . Personally I think its cardboard with sauce on it. Best pizza ,frozen or otherwise is at Save on Foods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

My girls love LILCeasar's . Personally I think its cardboard with sauce on it. Best pizza ,frozen or otherwise is at Save on Foods.

Ill have Ceasar's occasionally, nice for the ease of pick up but I agree, its not very good.

There's a brand and Save On (or maybe other places), I think called Mike's.  For frozen pizza, I enjoy it very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Is that what they spray on the pizza after it cooks?  Every so often I have a craving for Pizza Hut and I arrived early to pick up last week.  Watched the pizza get made, go through the oven and then they spray it with something (I assumed it was what gives it a buttery taste on the crust).

I worked just about every position at the Hut (with the exception of the dish pit). 

That goes back a while. 

In the past, we had a spray with would add to stuffed crust pizzas. It was a buttery flavoured*, garlic spray. They may be using that spray or others now. 

 

I can tell you, without a single exception, I never did or saw anyone do anything to a pizza for a rude customer. Not in my time. That does not mean other stores didn't but I never did or did I see anyone do it. 

 

 

* No butter was harmed in the making of the buttery spray. 

Edited by JCon
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...