Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

On 2018-12-12 at 4:22 PM, bustamente said:

Other one bites the dust at the old Basil location in Osborne Village. Why any one would try to make a go at that location is beyond me.

i do some work for Basil. there have been 4 restaurants in there since 2013 (including Basils itself). none have lasted even a year except basils and that was only 14 months or so. every time they go belly up i move in and clean out the place. it's a great location but i don't know what's gonna have to occur for something to stick and be profitable. maybe a large rich chain or split it into two independent businesses..

5 minutes ago, vadeux said:

i do some work for Basil. there have been 4 restaurants in there since 2013 (including Basils itself). none have lasted even a year except basils and that was only 14 months or so. every time they go belly up i move in and clean out the place. it's a great location but i don't know what's gonna have to occur for something to stick and be profitable. maybe a large rich chain or split it into two independent businesses..

Your right it is a great location, but nowadays everyone wants to be a restaurateur, big dreams little cash over priced food and drink poor service and they wonder why they close, give me a small mom and pop hole in the ground any day of the week.

4 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Your right it is a great location, but nowadays everyone wants to be a restaurateur, big dreams little cash over priced food and drink poor service and they wonder why they close, give me a small mom and pop hole in the ground any day of the week.

ya man. i live nearby and was pretty disappointed pete couldn't make it. it was the closest thing to a meat and potatoes breakfast place around. not a huge fan of Stellas although it's ok now and then. the old osborne village inn cafe was the best in its prime.

Edited by vadeux

• 1 month later...
On 2019-01-28 at 11:01 PM, Brandon said:

Is Za Pizza still in City Place?  If so then Konz will have a tough time competing. I don't think the cone gimmick is anything that special that it will bring people back... 

yes it is (and so is Boston Pizza) and yes I thought about the same thing, but I haven't bought 'za from there in eons because I don't live close enough to that area to haul a whole box home, I would have had to have brought ziploc bags with me. I wonder how big the pizza cones will be because I looked at the place online and it looks like it's about the size of a tacquito

Edited by iHeart

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/a-new-place-to-have-a-drink-grab-a-snack-507280412.html

Replacing The Pint but there's more to the story. Local Public Eatery bought the building, told The Pint to leave and is taking their place.

The Pint sold the building to Local Public Eatery. 

3 hours ago, iHeart said:

well Boston Pizza has unveiled 20+ new menu Items, I'm curious about the Pizza Poutine though I'll try it for sure (I mean smokes doesn't have that, the poutine place at Cityplace doesn't have that)

Pizza Poutine was popular in Ottawa....  it's disgusting though unless you really want a heart attack.

The new BP Menu was tested at the Henderson Hwy location for the last few months.... they got rid of a lot of the favorites =\    No more Smokey Mountain spaghetti but they did replace it with some super meaty pasta dish...

9 minutes ago, iHeart said:

so is Junction 59 Roadhouse a new place? because I've tried to look it up (Moxie's at Kildonan Crossing is being converted to that) and there's no website for the place just a facebook page with just the logo

Same company, just rebranding that location.