Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I worked just about every position at the Hut (with the exception of the dish pit). 

That goes back a while. 

In the past, we had a pray with would add to stuffed crust pizzas. It was a buttery flavoured*, garlic spray. They may be using that spray or others now. 

I can tell you, without a single exception, I never did or saw anyone do anything to a pizza for a rude customer. Not in my time. That does not mean other stores didn't but I never did or did I see anyone do it. 

* No butter was harmed in the making of the buttery spray. 

It was a stuffed crust I ordered so that must be it.  

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What is sprayed on the pizza when it comes out of the oven? So greasy it'd catch fire. 

If you're having a stuffed crust, they spray a garlic flavoured spray on the crust. It's meant to give you the hint of garlic in the crust without going to the expense or trouble of actually putting garlic in the crust. 

When I worked there, they did not add anything to the pan pizza.

Part of the challenge, and for anyone who has done frying, is that the dough sits in the oil and slowly heats. That causes the oil to absorb into the crust, which impairs the taste. If it were truly fried, added to hot oil, then it would just fry the outside, making it crispy. As it is, it's kind of crispy at first but mostly becomes soggy and very greasy. 

From my time working and testing out pizza recipes (I got paid to taste test pizzas at one time lol) the grease on top of the pizza is usually from the fat and moisture content of the cheese. I did not realize how much of a science there is when it comes to pizza places picking the correct cheese.

The same goes with the meat and the fat content of the meat.

35 minutes ago, Brandon said:

From my time working and testing out pizza recipes (I got paid to taste test pizzas at one time lol) the grease on top of the pizza is usually from the fat and moisture content of the cheese. I did not realize how much of a science there is when it comes to pizza places picking the correct cheese.

The same goes with the meat and the fat content of the meat.

Not long after I started at PH, they changed their cheese. It became a lot drier and, presumably, cheaper to produce. It was quite noticeable to the staff and caused a lot of burned pizzas. 

Cheese came frozen in a large box. It took several days to thaw out in the walk-in cooler. Quite often, at busy times, we would swap boxes of cheese with other stores if it was too frozen and they had some that were thawed. Actually, we were pretty well run, so it was other stores looking to swap with us. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I never did get some peoples' beef with Pizza Hut.  It is what it is - every once in a while I'll enjoy a Supreme or Canadian.  If the Bud is cold it's all good. 

Hate PH all u want but when they were doing their large pizza of the day for $10 you cant beat that.

Speaking of PH the last time i had a supreme it was awesome only cause the usual edge was gone replaced by a thin slightly hardened edge. WTH was that?

All I know is at one point some handsome devil was trying multiple variations of Bothwell cheese on pizzas for ph and it came cubed and was super delicious. It also came not frozen and was super tasty eating straight up.

The crust was home made but apparently many chains including Boston pizza were moving to frozen doughs to save a few pennies. I tested frozen dough and I found it super bland. 

From my memory of the breakdown of costs... The cheese is absolutely by far the most expensive part of a pizza. This is why Little Caesars I assume had liquid cheese whiz crap cheese. 

Just because a pizza is greasy it doesn't mean it's low quality cheese... The fat content, the water content and salt all change the flavours dramatically of the fromage.  

I also found out that many pizza places ordered their toppings from the same source ... I much prefer the gourmet non chain places which use fresh and local ingredients. It makes a big difference imo.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I delivered  Panago for years & really like their pizzas. They're popular here in Calgary with stores all over the city. Hard to believe that they've shut down in Winnipeg. 

Back in the late 90's Panago had a really good high quality pizza...  I stopped going and tried them a few years ago and it was terrible.   On the same level of quality of Pizza Pizza which is bottom of the barrel imo. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I delivered  Panago for years & really like their pizzas. They're popular here in Calgary with stores all over the city. Hard to believe that they've shut down in Winnipeg. 

Panago is good.  My gf is Vegan so our choices (or rather, HER choices) are limited.  Mr Bones had a vegan option so we'd often drive all the way to McPhillips for pizza night.  Panago delivered to our area and was pretty darn good (had better side dishes than Mr Bones too).  The Panago here on St Mary's is Pizza Gong and is a bit different than Panago but arguably better.  I recommend it.

The way I hear it, Panago HQ shut down Winnipeg to focus on expansion out East.  And the local owners were caught off guard and not happy.

12 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Panago is good.  My gf is Vegan so our choices (or rather, HER choices) are limited.  Mr Bones had a vegan option so we'd often drive all the way to McPhillips for pizza night.  Panago delivered to our area and was pretty darn good (had better side dishes than Mr Bones too).  The Panago here on St Mary's is Pizza Gong and is a bit different than Panago but arguably better.  I recommend it.

The way I hear it, Panago HQ shut down Winnipeg to focus on expansion out East.  And the local owners were caught off guard and not happy.

That seems strange but yeah, I read that. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That seems strange but yeah, I read that. 

We just had Gong last night.  The gf got some Skip bucks for taking part in some app review group.  Funny thing is, she let Skip know the biggest problem is bad drivers (and then Skip customer service tries to gaslight you over it).  The response was surprise.  Well, we ordered and saw it bounce around...a Skip driver got the order and was on his way, then everything went blank.

It wasnt a big deal because we expected a delay due to weather.  When the Skip driver arrived he told us at least two other drivers got the order then dropped it and thats why it was delayed.  Gong wrote on an included menu to order directly for "no delay". lol

STD is horrible. Slow, rude and constantly blaming the restaurant when there are delays.I won't give them any business. 

God forbid you have to be on Market in the evening, where their drivers double-park block the street, block the sidewalk (standing there and smoking) and don't bother looking before driving or wait for pedestrians. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I'm not sure if I mentioned it earlier in the thread...  Za Pizza is surprisingly cheap and decent quality.  I've gone about 20 times and have never had any issues.

my mother has been using it quite a bit, I actually introduced it to her last year, she was so surprised at how inexpensive it is, however she doesn't want to eat inside due to the terrible music they play

59 minutes ago, JCon said:

STD is horrible. Slow, rude and constantly blaming the restaurant when there are delays.I won't give them any business. 

God forbid you have to be on Market in the evening, where their drivers double-park block the street, block the sidewalk (standing there and smoking) and don't bother looking before driving or wait for pedestrians. 

We use it a lot less due to poor customer service.  Seems to be ever since the big buy out.  And I agree, they DO put the heat on the restaurant and their usual response is to offer you freebies, which I assume the restaurant has to eat.  We've watched drivers drive around a parking lot repeatedly unable to find the restaurant...once had a driver end up on the other side of the river from where we live...I mean, they ARE using GPS, no?  If you open a chat, they basically act like nothing is wrong and we just dont understand.

I also agree, their drivers seem to lack basic knowledge about parking laws (or ignore them).  Ive seen parked the wrong way on pretty major streets.

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm not sure if I mentioned it earlier in the thread...  Za Pizza is surprisingly cheap and decent quality.  I've gone about 20 times and have never had any issues.

I've had it a couple of times and liked it.  I think if they had a larger one, I'd go more often.  I enjoy having leftovers.

Well today my mom and I tried Popeye's.....fries we didnt get any chicken because we already had a dinner committment we'll try the chicken on a less busy day

anyway the fries were just okay, I'm surprised that popeyes actually has popcorn shrimp even KFC never toyed with that

Edited by iHeart

• 2 weeks later...