Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Johnny's On Marion has a hell of a good burger.  I dont know what they season their burgers with but it was great. 

This!  One of my top three burgers in the city.  Fatboys are my achilles heel.  This one, Dairy Delight and Mrs. Mike's are my fav Fatboy's.  The fact that those idiot's put Johnny's and Mrs. Mike's so far down there list just shows me how much I hate their list.

It would take me a while to rank them, but here's some of my comments about some around the city that I've been to:

I like Superboy's burger, but I find it really salty.

I love Dairi Wip's Hot dog's, but I find their burgers a bit bland.

I've had a Wellington 529 burger.  It's really good, but not my favorite.

Marion Street eatery.  Burger was good, not fantastic.

I really like Five Guy's burgers.  I find them really tasty.

Fatburgers is absolute garbage.  Bland, no flavor.

I like Salisbury house cheese nip plus.  The onions are key on this burger.  Haven't had it a long while though.

George's Burger is pretty good too.  Although I find (since the last time I had it) that the bun to burger ratio was off.  Not enough meat.  Still good though.

Was just at Tavern United.  There burger was pretty good too.

Last time I had a Moxie's burger, I thought it was pretty good as well.

VJ's burger is like Dairi Wip's.  Bland.  Fries are great, but burger is meh.

Off the top of my head I can't remember all the nuances.  But I'm more of a, "if I find a place I like, why bother going somewhere else" kind of guy.  I don't mind trying different places but I know what I like.  It would take me a while rank all of these.  I'm sure I've had more but it's been a while.  I don't eat out much so...it is what it is.

@Logan007 I also enjoy Five Guys.  The gf is vegan so she's hard to please but really likes their fries so its often times our go-to order in place since you get enough fries that its dinner for her and lunch the next day.  When Im being weight conscious and eating Keto, Ill order their lettuce wrapped burger.  Really tasty.

Tried Fatburger once and felt it was like Five Guys but not as tasty.  Never went back.

Sals is great!  Some of my earliest memories are going to Sals with my grandparents.  Now it's my regular post-show tradition after a PCW wrestling show (Sals is next door), usually I gorge on the Big Earl.

14 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Sals is great!  Some of my earliest memories are going to Sals with my grandparents.  Now it's my regular post-show tradition after a PCW wrestling show (Sals is next door), usually I gorge on the Big Earl.

I dunno man...  I have tried 3 locations over the last 5 years and it's been terrible each time.  As the other guy said way over cooked burgers with little to no flavour to them.   

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

I dunno man...  I have tried 3 locations over the last 5 years and it's been terrible each time.  As the other guy said way over cooked burgers with little to no flavour to them.   

In Sals case, it's not the burger itself that has the flavor, but what you have on it.  I personally love the cheese nip plus.  Like I said, the onions are what make it along with the cheese, ketchup and mustard.  For TUP and myself, it's probably a bit nostalgic too.  I grew up going there when I was a kid with my parents and it just grew on me.  Again, not the best burger, and I rarely eat there.  I think the last time I had one was 2 years ago.

30 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Like the breakfast sausage and egg nip. The bun is what makes it.

Also true.  As Logan said, there is the nostalgia factor with Sals for some of us.  I do really like their nips as they taste quite different from the usual fast food burger options.  But I also agree they often over-cook them nowadays.  But those grilled onions and that BUN, mmmmmm to die for.

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Sals is all nostalgia... this is why the clientele tends to be a bunch of ancient seniors....  

Go there between midnight and 3am on Fri or Sat...  It does remind me of my grandparents though so it was always a place that skewed older.  Wasnt the one in Headingley an attempt to go with a "lounge" vibe?  Also, the newer one on pembina and stafford was always busy and younger (looked great inside too) when I was there.  Im usually at the one on St Annes now when I visit and by about 4am, the older folk start shuffling in.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Go there between midnight and 3am on Fri or Sat...  It does remind me of my grandparents though so it was always a place that skewed older.  Wasnt the one in Headingley an attempt to go with a "lounge" vibe?  Also, the newer one on pembina and stafford was always busy and younger (looked great inside too) when I was there.  Im usually at the one on St Annes now when I visit and by about 4am, the older folk start shuffling in.

I used to live across the street from the one on St Anne's .. about 7 years ago or so.   Late nights was mostly riff raff starting fights in the parking lot and/or getting thrown out for not paying.        If you were to go during the day and even up until 7 - 8 pm it was full of gray haired old cranky people.     I assume  young people only went late at night because of a lack of other options for late night food.  

Just now, Brandon said:

I used to live across the street from the one on St Anne's .. about 7 years ago or so.   Late nights was mostly riff raff starting fights in the parking lot and/or getting thrown out for not paying.        If you were to go during the day and even up until 7 - 8 pm it was full of gray haired old cranky people.     I assume  young people only went late at night because of a lack of other options for late night food.  

Yup.  Our go-to used to be Perkins, back when I worked in the nightclub business.  Southdale Perkins was the place for us for ages.  In fact, I dated a server from there, thats how often and much time we spent there lol   Then Perkins on Pembina but once it closed there werent many other options outside of Sals, fast food or pizza.

6 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Don't they also serve a big breakfast there?

Perkins?  I know they used to.  Used to blow my mind.  Like pancakes came with everything.  I'd usually get the Eggs Benedict which came with hashbrowns and pancakes.  Tons of food.  We had good times there (and broke up a few post-bar fights).

My fondest memory of the Perkins on Pembina was going to the nearby bar (forget which one it was at the time) ,   mostly done our post bar meal when all of the sudden I hear something that sounded like running water out of a tap from the table behind me.  

I turn around and see a girl with a massive amount of hair asleep on the table puking one way... unfortunately that table was not level at all and it would go up the table and then back down across her face and then through her hair and then it poured onto the floor.   The smell was a nice aroma of bile mixed with Vodka.    It was at that moment that we decided to leave and give our waitress a massive tip as we feel bad that they have to clean up messes like that.   The girl did wake up and yikes I'm glad that I didn't have to drive her home soaken wet covered in vodka puke lol. 

• 4 weeks later...

anyone ever eat at Rembrandt's? it was one of my grandmothers favourite places and then all of a sudden for some reason they shut it down about fourish years ago, which is a shame it had a nice interior and their chicken parm sandwiches were to die for

Edited by iHeart