"Get on your feet, Bomber fans"

aalgernon

1 hour ago, Rich said:

The True North chant at Bomber games has been slowly losing momentum, not as loud as it used to be.   Won’t be much longer until it is gone.

The question that always goes through my head is do these idiots yell "BLUE" at Jets games?

And of course, the answer is no, because it's a completely unrelated sporting event.

3 hours ago, SPuDS said:

have you been to IGF before?  the crowd doesn't need much motivation to be that 13th man.  On offense, the team likes it quit so I do see the reasoning behind the "first down" chant.. its good as long as it dies off before the snap.  

I've been to many games at IGF and the old stadium.    I was just pointing out that it's the announcers job to try and motivate the crowd.... whether we agree with it or not.  And i believe most of the audience/crowd/fans knows to be quiet when the offence is rolling.  Even if they don't, there's plenty of people to tell them or help them understand. 

And for the record, I want the True North to stay at Jets games.   Bring back glorious and blue at Bomber games.

Edited by captaincanuck12

20 hours ago, Rich said:

The True North chant at Bomber games has been slowly losing momentum, not as loud as it used to be.   Won’t be much longer until it is gone. 

Was mentioned earlier in the thread,  but my biggest pet peeve with it at Jets games is the crowd cheering themselves for chanting it.  

The True North chant was started by a couple of fans who wanted to offer a salute to the ownership group for bringing NHL hockey back to Winnipeg and tossed it out at the very first pre-season game. It has now organically morphed into a "Winnipeg" thing where fans yell it to announce their presence at and support for a Winnipeg's team's game, home or road. The cheer afterwards really is just more of that organic morphing, the fans acknowledging that they are there with their "brotherhood" (sisterhood) and ready to cheer loudly for their team, even in a hostile location. Of course it is more pronounced at Jets games, since that is its origin, but it really is more about a way of saying "We are Winnipeg, we are loud, and we are ready to cheer on our team". Hokey to some, I guess, but pretty harmless IMO. The yelling of "Blue" at Bomber games during the anthem is exactly the same concept, albeit more forced (since it was not organically created but a copycat move - see below). So if you hate the "True North" chant, you should logically hate the "Blue" chant as it is designed to elicit the same emotion. It's not about bowing to the corporate overlords. I get the sense that it is a sore spot of petty jealousy by some who don't like the idea that a "Jets" chant carries more power than a Bombers chant at a Bomber game, like the fans are rivals or something.

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

that's a really good point....the whole thing just smells like something Riders fans would do. It's like how every single thing in Sask revolves around the colour green. Not EVERYTHING has to revolve around the Riders.....

You do know that the entire "glorious and BLUE" chant is a direct rip-off of the "glorious and GREEN" chant Saskatchewan  fans have been saying for years at Rider games, don't you? Except their chant makes slightly more sense, since "green" at least sounds like "free", while "blue" completely doesn't fit and is truly just a copycat idea. So if it is such a bad "Saskatchewan" idea to do it, what does that say about Bomber fans who bash it as being self-glorification but feel the need to mimic it during their own anthem?

18 hours ago, mbrg said:

The question that always goes through my head is do these idiots yell "BLUE" at Jets games?

And of course, the answer is no, because it's a completely unrelated sporting event.

People don't yell it because it would sound stupid and out of context. The "True North" chant works because it fits directly into the anthem and has a link to the team and the ownership who brought them back, so it carries over to other sporting events. The "BLUE" chant doesn't even fit the song. But it's meant to show support for our team, I guess, so the sentiment is good, even if the execution sounds ridiculous.

If Bomber fans wanted something a bit more creative and unique to the anthem at their games, perhaps rather than yelling "glorious and blue" (which really makes no sense and has no semblance of any connection to the anthem other than to copy the Rider tradition), maybe fans should yell "BLUE North" instead. At least that rhymes, reflects the team colour and our geographic location as a football city, and has a nice tie-in to a Winnipeg tradition rather than another city's, but adds a Bomber spin to it.

I agree the get on your feet it's another blue bombers kick off is just dumb. Never got on my feet once,  never will either.

Gotta keep the first down chant. That dude with the first down jersey and  giant foam finger would be lost without it, and it's fun to watch at how excited he gets for them first downers.

with regards to the True North, I actually like it better then people changing the word free to blue that still comes off as a boo. Both are equally stupid imo but if people gotta do something that's my take.

my biggest pet peeve is my row/section never gets called to win ****. Give me a damn booster juice or giant turkey leg damn it. :774_broken_heart:

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

You do know that the entire "glorious and BLUE" chant is a direct rip-off of the "glorious and GREEN" chant Saskatchewan  fans have been saying for years at Rider games, don't you?

And don't you know that fans have been changing the words to anthems for years and not just in Saskatchewan?  For example, Kansas City fans have been shouting "home of the chiefs" instead of "home of the brave",  for at least 30 years now.

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

People don't yell it because it would sound stupid and out of context. The "True North" chant works because it fits directly into the anthem and has a link to the team and the ownership who brought them back, so it carries over to other sporting events. The "BLUE" chant doesn't even fit the song. But it's meant to show support for our team, I guess, so the sentiment is good, even if the execution sounds ridiculous.

I would maybe agree with this sentiment if True North owned the Bombers, but they do not. It links to the Jets (and I guess the Moose, but no one was chanting true north during the years 1997-2010). The only link between the two teams is the city they play in so any homage to ownership doesn't make sense to me.

If I'm being completely honest, just get rid of the anthem in sports altogether. (But I don't have the time or energy to get into that argument)

23 hours ago, Nash00 said:

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt, I'm an Oilers fan anyways.

You should've started with this so we would know your opinion is invalid anyways... :P

3 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

my biggest pet peeve is my row/section never gets called to win ****. Give me a damn booster juice or giant turkey leg damn it. :774_broken_heart:

We won the turkey legs once... let's just say I'm glad I didn't pay money for it... but I was hungry and it was free... so no real complaints....

I sit on the west side, and honestly, I could never really tell what the "Blue" chant during the anthem was. Always sounded kind of like "BOO" to my ears, but I knew that couldn't be right, being during the national anthem and all. Makes a bit more sense now.

I'm surprised at how many standing-during-kickoffs supporters there seem to be! From where I sit (upper deck, west side) it looks like... MAYBE 5% of the crowd stands? If that? Probably less. I maintain that they should do away with it.

On 26/09/2017 at 12:13 PM, bigg jay said:

And don't you know that fans have been changing the words to anthems for years and not just in Saskatchewan?  For example, Kansas City fans have been shouting "home of the chiefs" instead of "home of the brave",  for at least 30 years now.

To be fair to Kansas City.. All of America at some point was actually the "home of the chiefs" ?

Edited by Goalie

I'm all for getting the crowd amped up but some variety would be nice. It's pretty much the same two phrases every damned game from whoever that guy is. And Caroline Hunter is awful, especially when she interrupts the head referee while he's trying to announce an infraction, talking about some sponsor or whatnot. Piss poor.

Needless to say, I think the Bombers could do much better than the current duo.

I used to be annoyed at the "First Down" chant, but now I just tune it out.  I'm loud when I'm supposed to be, but I like the principle of getting people involved in the game somehow.

I'm on record with my opinion of shouting anything during the anthem.  sing like a normal person or be quiet.  I don't think it's unpatriotic or disrespectful per se, but I think there's something different about an anthem than just a song you like.

I sort of wish we had some music we could sing along to - a "fight" song. Or, at Packers games they play this fun little tune and everyone yells "Go Pack Go!" except me because I've never heard this music before. And they all seem to know when they hear it - I only caught on by the time we were on to "Pack Go!"

I will count my eternal stars that we do not have to pipe in a voice saying, "Flardablee! Make some Noiiiiiiiiiise" like the Als (I might have taken liberties with the first part). Whoever is in charge of pushing the button that makes that sound should have his fingers broken.

20 hours ago, wpgchris said:

I sort of wish we had some music we could sing along to - a "fight" song. Or, at Packers games they play this fun little tune and everyone yells "Go Pack Go!" except me because I've never heard this music before. And they all seem to know when they hear it - I only caught on by the time we were on to "Pack Go!"

There actually is a Bomber fight song that they played back at old Winnipeg Stadium (before the CanadInns rebranding) in the 1980's when I first followed the Blue and Gold. Real quaint college fight song feel to it, with male and female chorus:

"We're proud of the Blue Bomber name....So proud of it's glory and fame.

We're the best in the West, and we'll take on the rest....'Til we get to that East-West (later re-worded as "Grey Cup") game *FIGHT* *FIGHT* (yelled, not sung) 

We'll fight through that line down the field.....Our Blue Bomber teams never yield.

Let's fight on to victory, for great is our destiny.......So fight on, Blue Bombers, fi-i-ight" (pom pom shaking in the stands to follow the beat).

I think they pulled the song after the Bombers flipped to the east division the first time in 1987, tried to briefly resurrect it in the Jim Daley era, and then buried it.

Two other traditions I loved. One was Jack Skelly (so I'm told) in the east side upper deck with a voice so loud he didn't need a megaphone to be heard throughout the entire stadium. He would scream "Give me a B!' and the whole upper deck would yell "B!" 

"Give me an O!"  " O!" Give me an M!"  "M!" etc. until they got to "Give me an S!"  "S!"

"WHAT DO YOU GOT?"  "BOMBERS!"  "WHAT DO YOU GOT?"  "BOMBERS!"  "WHAT DO YOU GOT?"  "BOMBERS!!!" 

Followed by loud roar and banging on their metal benches with their plastic pom pom handles. Super loud and got the whole stadium jacked up.

The other one was an invention of a group of 4 season ticket holders about two rows behind me in the old joint, who had a touchdown cheer that they would only break out when the Bombers scored to take the lead or started pulling away in the  contest:

"Cigarettes and ashes, cigarettes and butts!

We've got the 'Riders (or insert other opposing team name here) by the NUTS!

SQUEEEEEZE 'EM! SQUEEEEEEZE 'EM! SQUEEEEEZE 'EM! (with a visual grasping in the air above one's head of some invisible junk)

And kick 'em in the cup too!!"  (Toast with a beer, and drink)

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

On 2017-09-28 at 1:23 PM, Super Duper Negatron said:

Since we are nitpicking, the anthem singer at the games is awful and in dire need of a metronome.

It was a relief that the usual singer was replaced at the Ti-Cats game, even if temporarily, by soprano Tracy Dahl - who really belted it out in the correct tempo. But then I have another quibble: why was there a moment of silence for events in Edmonton and Las Vegas? 

1 hour ago, Doublezero said:

It was a relief that the usual singer was replaced at the Ti-Cats game, even if temporarily, by soprano Tracy Dahl - who really belted it out in the correct tempo. But then I have another quibble: why was there a moment of silence for events in Edmonton and Las Vegas? 

Seriously...?

1 hour ago, Doublezero said:

I hear you on that as well. This won't be a popular opinion, but I don't like how football (particularly the NFL, but more so the CFL now too) tries to bridge together this weird strand of patriotism with sport. Of course the events in Las Vegas and Edmonton were terrible, but people die all over the world for all sorts of things. It seems selective to choose to only honour the victims of some tragedies. I'd rather do away with it all together. In the NFL, it makes a bit more sense based on their levels of patriotism (or, perhaps more accurately, nationalism), but we really don't share that value set in Canada and I don't think the CFL should be encouraging it.