"Get on your feet, Bomber fans"

aalgernon

So, how long must our stadium announcer persevere with this non-tradition? No one stands during kick-offs, and no one ever did. Traditions should be natural and organic, born from the fans themselves, not crafted by Bomber brass in the name of team spirit. It's silly. Can we end this already?

On a similar note, the only time the announcer should say "And that's another Winnipeg (first down)" is after we actually PRODUCE a first down!

Good win tonight, Blue.

58 minutes ago, aalgernon said:

So, how long must our stadium announcer persevere with this non-tradition? No one stands during kick-offs, and no one ever did. Traditions should be natural and organic, born from the fans themselves, not crafted by Bomber brass in the name of team spirit. It's silly. Can we end this already?

On a similar note, the only time the announcer should say "And that's another Winnipeg (first down)" is after we actually PRODUCE a first down!

Good win tonight, Blue.

Absolutely agree on the kickoff thing... it's not a thing that the fans are on-board for, so they should just drop it.

I disagree on the another first down, because they have got many in the past so every one going forward now is another one.

Great game, great atmosphere, and even with only 26K fans in the stands, it was nice and loud when the D was on the field.

Personally I despise the "first down" chant. I find it very stupid, when our team is on offense, a polite applause on achieving a first down is appropriate. The forced announcement amps up the crowd exactly when they don't need to be loud. When we're on offense - our crowd is supposed to be quiet. Nothing is more frustrating than hearing fans celebrating/going crazy whilst our offensive linemen are giving the universal "shut up we're  trying to call plays" signal.

11 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Personally I despise the "first down" chant. I find it very stupid, when our team is on offense, a polite applause on achieving a first down is appropriate. The forced announcement amps up the crowd exactly when they don't need to be loud. When we're on offense - our crowd is supposed to be quiet. Nothing is more frustrating than hearing fans celebrating/going crazy whilst our offensive linemen are giving the universal "shut up we're  trying to call plays" signal.

9 hours ago, Nolby said:

I totally disagree. Absolutely love the first down scream.

Maybe if we scream while doing a golf clap?

27 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Thank God I'm not the only one who rolls my eyes at the True North chant. I hate it at Jets games, it's beyond stupid to yell it at Bomber games.

No there's legions on social media that proclaim it to be the worst thing in all of pro sports, so you're not alone.

On 9/23/2017 at 2:31 AM, Nolby said:

I totally disagree. Absolutely love the first down scream.

Me too.   Love belting out a "whooooo haaaaa!" after "that's another Wpg ____________"

I'm not sure where all the hate for the "True North" is coming from.  I agree it needs to stay at Jets games though.    It's a fun thing and becoming a tradition , so why not have it?   Is it any less stupid than throwing an Octopus in Joe Louis arena?  Or sounding the Hurricane bell in Carolina?   Seriously, why get all bent out of shape about it?

As for the Bomber game experience... the announcer's job is to motivate the crowd and get them involved.    So telling fans to stand up at Bomber game or encourage the crowd to yell "First Down"  , i'm all for it.      Here's something to consider... if the fans are having fun and into the game... that makes the home team's adrenaline get pumping and they start to get amped.     THIS IS WHY IT"S CALLED HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE.

My .02

I have no problem with the kickoff ovation - pretty much a standard in all football (except here surprisingly)  Why not make it a reason to cheer?

Love the 1st down cheer.

Hate hate hate the true north yell during our country's national anthem.  Maybe we should place a Birchwood Honda emblem on the flag at the stadium? 

1 hour ago, captaincanuck12 said:

I'm not sure where all the hate for the "True North" is coming from.  I agree it needs to stay at Jets games though.    It's a fun thing and becoming a tradition , so why not have it?   Is it any less stupid than throwing an Octopus in Joe Louis arena?  Or sounding the Hurricane bell in Carolina?   Seriously, why get all bent out of shape about it?

As for the Bomber game experience... the announcer's job is to motivate the crowd and get them involved.    So telling fans to stand up at Bomber game or encourage the crowd to yell "First Down"  , i'm all for it.      Here's something to consider... if the fans are having fun and into the game... that makes the home team's adrenaline get pumping and they start to get amped.     THIS IS WHY IT"S CALLED HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE.

My .02

have you been to IGF before?  the crowd doesn't need much motivation to be that 13th man.  On offense, the team likes it quit so I do see the reasoning behind the "first down" chant.. its good as long as it dies off before the snap.  

and the issue of the "true north" is that is has zero connection to the bombers or the CFL.  its a jets thing.. its an NHL , hockey chant.  why bring it to the football stadium..

thats where people are getting irked. 

The True North chant at Bomber games has been slowly losing momentum, not as loud as it used to be.   Won’t be much longer until it is gone. 

Was mentioned earlier in the thread,  but my biggest pet peeve with it at Jets games is the crowd cheering themselves for chanting it.  

13 minutes ago, Rich said:

The True North chant at Bomber games has been slowly losing momentum, not as loud as it used to be.   Won’t be much longer until it is gone. 

Was mentioned earlier in the thread,  but my biggest pet peeve with it at Jets games is the crowd cheering themselves for chanting it.  

that's a really good point....the whole thing just smells like something Riders fans would do. It's like how every single thing in Sask revolves around the colour green. Not EVERYTHING has to revolve around the Riders.....

1 hour ago, captaincanuck12 said:

My .02

The reason I have always disliked the True North chant and why it is different than the octopus/cannon in Columbus etc. is the attachment to the corporate entity that it represents. I understand that for many people they are considered the saviors of hockey in Winnipeg and if they want to cheer it then good for them I guess but they might as well sponsor the anthem. If it was the Octopus throw sponsored by Little Ceasers, I would have the same disposition as I do the True North chant.

Personally, I don't understand why there is a need to publicly fellate the owners of the team before every game. As a fan I don't feel the need to ass kiss, the team is back and I pay a LOT of money to watch them play. That is more than enough thanks in my books. Also, this will be the same ownership group that will support a lockout in a few years when the CBA expires. Take my thoughts with a grain of salt, I'm an Oilers fan anyways.

That's my personal opinion on the matter. But keep it the **** away from my Bombers please. :D

8 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Personally, I don't understand why there is a need to publicly fellate the owners of the team before every game.

Disagree that the fans chant this as a tribute to the ownership. I just think it's a fun thing that the fans have enjoyed and because it WORKS. I mean the words and the anthem make it a natural thing to do. Let the fans enjoy it. 

And yes, it should just be a Jets thing.

As to the Bombers, that first down chant works also, and it keeps the fans engaged. It's a fun thing and if the fans are still going along with it, let 'er rip. 

Whats annoying is a stadium/arena announcer going full tilt, and hamming it up like his VOICE is what matters, and the game is a secondary event that just happens to be his vehicle for his own purposes. Something like the Argos stadium announcer. And, how would you like that blasted horn at their stadium going off every few minutes...just because. 

No, a Winnipeg fans have it good, and should appreciate that fact..