"Get on your feet, Bomber fans"

aalgernon

Perhaps it does come off as petty and I'm sure the guy is either not getting paid or not getting paid much but Bob McGregor the PA guy has to be the worst at his job in the entire world. He never appears to know what's going on and gets the player's name wrong more than half the time. I'm not suggesting that it's easy to see every little detail from the booth but it almost has become something to celebrate the odd time he correctly identifies the player who made the play and pronounces their name properly. 

Edited by AKAChip

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

Perhaps it does come off as petty and I'm sure the guy is either not getting paid or not getting paid much but Bob McGregor the PA guy has to be the worst at his job in the entire world. He never appears to know what's going on and gets the player's name wrong more than half the time. I'm not suggesting that it's easy to see every little detail rom the booth but it almost has become something to celebrate the odd time he correctly identifies the player who made the play and pronounces their name properly. 

He's terrible. I recall two instances last night where Flanders carried the ball and he called out Harris' name. Poor, poor attention to detail.

14 minutes ago, aalgernon said:

I hear you on that as well. This won't be a popular opinion, but I don't like how football (particularly the NFL, but more so the CFL now too) tries to bridge together this weird strand of patriotism with sport. Of course the events in Las Vegas and Edmonton were terrible, but people die all over the world for all sorts of things. It seems selective to choose to only honour the victims of some tragedies. I'd rather do away with it all together. In the NFL, it makes a bit more sense based on their levels of patriotism (or, perhaps more accurately, nationalism), but we really don't share that value set in Canada and I don't think the CFL should be encouraging it.

I believe Matty D said it best that football is where you go to escape.      No need for this kind of stuff when watching the game.  

I also agree that I find it interesting that people in terrible countries (Burma for example) are completely massacred in large numbers... yet that kind of stuff gets ignored and/or the players have zero interest in creating public awareness for that...

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He's terrible. I recall two instances last night where Flanders carried the ball and he called out Harris' name. Poor, poor attention to detail.

Easily the funniest part about him is that about 1 in 10 times he actually corrects himself and it makes me wonder why he doesn't bother the other 90% of the time. 

3 hours ago, aalgernon said:

I hear you on that as well. This won't be a popular opinion, but I don't like how football (particularly the NFL, but more so the CFL now too) tries to bridge together this weird strand of patriotism with sport. Of course the events in Las Vegas and Edmonton were terrible, but people die all over the world for all sorts of things. It seems selective to choose to only honour the victims of some tragedies. I'd rather do away with it all together. In the NFL, it makes a bit more sense based on their levels of patriotism (or, perhaps more accurately, nationalism), but we really don't share that value set in Canada and I don't think the CFL should be encouraging it.

Bombers didn't give it much thought, obviously. But there are many terrible events around the world and the selection of those 2 events seems arbitrary and jingoistic. What should be the appropriate criteria for a moment of silence at a sporting event? Why Vegas? That was not made clear.  If you're going to honour victims of a tragedy that has transpired in a foreign country, why not then the Manchester bombing in the UK? What about natural disasters - why not also honour earthquake victims in Mexico? What about the Rohinga in Burma? The Edmonton event seems a weird thing to honour or memorialize - since there were no fatalities and the perp appears simply to have been a nutjob since there was no evidence it was terrorism and therefore no terror-related charges. As you say, better to avoid entirely.

Edited by Doublezero

5 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Bombers didn't give it much thought, obviously. But there are many terrible events around the world and the selection of those 2 events seems arbitrary and jingoistic. What should be the appropriate criteria for a moment of silence at a sporting event? Why Vegas? That was not made clear.  If you're going to honour victims of a tragedy that has transpired in a foreign country, why not then the Manchester bombing in the UK? What about natural disasters - why not also honour earthquake victims in Mexico? What about the Rohinga in Burma? The Edmonton event seems a weird thing to honour or memorialize - since there were no fatalities and the perp appears simply to have been a nutjob since there was no evidence it was terrorism and therefore no terror-related charges. As you say, better to avoid entirely.

Exactly my point. Strange and unnecessary, I think. 

20 hours ago, Doublezero said:

The Edmonton event seems a weird thing to honour or memorialize - since there were no fatalities and the perp appears simply to have been a nutjob since there was no evidence it was terrorism and therefore no terror-related charges. As you say, better to avoid entirely.

The Edmonton event was addressed as the police officer hit was working at a barricade for the CFL game (near Commonwealth Stadium, where the Blue Bombers were playing the Eskimos at the time of the first incident).  Why wouldn't you want to show support to the officer, the Edmonton Police, and to those injured later in the evening?

The Las Vegas event was pure evil.  Those people killed and injured were co-workers, neighbours, friends, and possibly family of Bomber fans.  As a concert promoter/host, the events in Las Vegas are directly related to the operation of our stadium and team.

Edited by ALuCsRED

On 10/7/2017 at 1:59 PM, Doublezero said:

See this is what I tried to explain to my dad when mom died.  I said "Dad, 30 people died in Iraq yesterday and you didn't care at all.  Why so emotional now?  You xenophobic ****."