3 stars + HH red black and blues

wbbfan

1 Darvin adams. 7-195 1 td. and narrowly missed another deep ball when he had 3 steps on his db. Made the big plays. and the short ones. Elite wr.

2 Harris/flanders. 215 yards combined 2 tds. Tons of first downs and tons of time killed. They really mashed the ott defense and changed the pace of the game forcing them to slow the blitzes.

3 Nichols. 23/34 2 tds. 1 freak, freak pick. Finally got the closer in controlled the game and made the weather look trivial. 

hh Lots of potential here. Jeffcoat holding up the rb, forcing the fumble and recovering it. Davis coming in and leading the blocking for flanders. But im going with darvin adams again. He gets tackled, both arms wrapped up before the ball arrives. Gets the flag. But still makes a sick catch. It wasnt needed, just icing on the cake. Like the whole game was. 

43 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

1 Darvin adams. 7-195 1 td. and narrowly missed another deep ball when he had 3 steps on his db. Made the big plays. and the short ones. Elite wr.

2 Harris/flanders. 215 yards combined 2 tds. Tons of first downs and tons of time killed. They really mashed the ott defense and changed the pace of the game forcing them to slow the blitzes.

3 Nichols. 23/34 2 tds. 1 freak, freak pick. Finally got the closer in controlled the game and made the weather look trivial. 

hh Lots of potential here. Jeffcoat holding up the rb, forcing the fumble and recovering it. Davis coming in and leading the blocking for flanders. But im going with darvin adams again. He gets tackled, both arms wrapped up before the ball arrives. Gets the flag. But still makes a sick catch. It wasnt needed, just icing on the cake. Like the whole game was. 

Lazy tonight but this sums it up for me.

I'm going to go with three not-so-obvious ones.

Brandon Alexander (couple beautiful knock downs), Matthias Goossen (no snapping miscues on a night where nobody would blame him if there were several) and Justin Medlock (for realizing that distance on punts wasn't going to be massive tonight and opted to punt the ball in ways that made it a nightmare for McDuffie to handle all night)

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

I liked Flanders ... the hustle and giving the td ball to a kid... good guy.  

The only negative I saw in the game was the soft defense at the end and a few whiffed tackles by Hurl.   Nearly everything else was bang on. 

http://www.reactiongifs.com/colin-farrell-disgusted/

Edited by J5V

57 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I really can't  add anything to the three stars but my HH  goes to the fans who stuck it out in monsoon type rain.

*loud clapping* 

I was a little surprised the confiscated my umbrella at the gates, like c'mon man it's raining sideways! Luckily my seats were dry and relatively void of wind - thank god cuz i stupidly came to the game in shorts and a jersey lol. 

Those people in the endzones were troopers tho. Hats off to them for sticking around, especially those not in those bombers tarp rain coat things.  Bombers might want to rethink those designs though.  They are covered with small bomber logos about the size of a fist, but from a distance, you can't see them and when you put dozens together in 1 section it seriously looks like a KKK meeting

jack.jpg     

Well friends, The Winnipeg Blue Bombers returned to the field tonight after a mid-season respite of 13 days to continue their quest for a home playoff date, something that has not been seen in these parts since the days of Buck Pierce and Paul LaPolice. I wonder where they are at now? Hope they are doing well.

In any event, they returned to action this evening facing the Ottawa RedBlacks, who we should not forget are the defending Grey Cup champions, so they were prepared for a stiff test. Also stiff was the wind, as the conditions were not the  most ideal to hold a football contest, but then again a little rain never hurt anyone, at least that's what the sailor Noah said all those years ago, if I am quoting him directly....the transcript of that conversation is a little spotty, I must confess. But the inclement weather did not dissuade many thousand faithful supporters in blue and gold attire from coming out to support their hometown squad as they attempted to secure a winning record at Investor's Group Field for the first time since this shiny new building opened some 5 years ago.

And it was a night of celebration, as we got to see the unveiling of a new statue honouring the late great kindly Cal Murphy, the crusty old Irishman with a heart of gold so big he needed two of them to fill his life's work [Ed. note: not sure if that is "politically insensitive" in this day and age, but Cactus would have said that with nothing but affection], who returned Lord Grey's silver mug to our beautiful province after so many years, and who was befitting of such recognition. And we recognized the accomplishments  of our local baseball heroes, the Winnipeg Goldeyes, before the game, saluting them for their victory in the championship game a couple of nights ago, adding to the sports lore of River city. And we even got to see the Winnipeg Police Pipe Band at halftime, always a treat, although I must admit I was a little disappointed not to see their back-up singer Paul McCartney with them.

But the excitement was not just confined to the events off the field. The Bombers came out with their tried and true methodical approach, combining strong running from Andrew Harris, ably supported by Timothy Flanders, who I'm told prefers Timothy to Tim, so who am I to argue with him? And of course Matt Nicholls could be counted on to distribute the ball evenly and fairly to all his receivers in a controlled short passing game, although we did see him stretch the field on a few occasions, most notably to Darvin Adams, who had himself quite a game today with almost two hundred yards and a pair of touchdowns, although only one of them counted. And that defence played a steady game in keeping the new RedBlack quarterback, who was it, Jeff Lynne - didn't he front that Electric Light Orchestra band back in the day? ....off balance throughout the contest. And when it was all said and done the local side had emerged victorious, and despite the soggy conditions, it turned out nice again, as I am want to say.

Now after the game I am asked to come out and say a few words and reminisce about the events of the day, but beyond that I am here to bestow the privilege of the Happy Honker Award on one lucky individual. Now this award as you may well know goes to the individual who did that little something extra special in the game that made them stand out, and as you may not know has been given out since the days mighty Mac Herron, Don Jonas, and Bernard Ruoff, 3 Bomber players of my vintage for the younger generation who may not know those names, and I guess the younger generation is anyone younger than me, that is to say pretty much everyone, so don't be afraid to dig into the history books to learn about their exploits.

But on to the present day, and the individual who tonight distinguished themselves on the field. And I of course mentioned our running backs, who each dug a little deeper with their touchdown scores, especially Mr.Flanders, who would not be denied, shaking off 3 tacklers before crossing the plane and delivering a gift to a deserving young fan in the end zone. But tonight, there was one play that stood out and changed the course of the game. It was late in the second quarter, with the Bombers in command of the play clock and both sides of the ball, but with the score still tight at 9-2. Ottawa's running back William Powell, who was a namesake of a great actor back in the day, but not related to him I believe, had been fairly productive against the Bombers' defence, and was rolling to another impressive gain on a first down play, bouncing off and dragging would-be Bomber tacklers and leaving a trail of Blue and Gold in his wake, when big defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat wrapped his rather large arms around the ball carrier and tore the pigskin loose, preventing more damage on the run. But not satisfied there, he proceeded to recover his own forced fumble in Ottawa territory, giving the Bombers a golden opportunity to break the game open before the half. And of course, as they have done so often, the Bombers capitalized on the turnover as the aforementioned Andrew Harris rumbled 24 yards across the goal line a few plays later, and the contest was really never in doubt after that point.

So for a wonderful individual effort, and the play that really set the win in motion for the Blue Bombers, today's Happy Honker Award goes to Jackson Jeffcoat. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I'm not sure why that is ruled a pick.  It was a fumble.  The ball came out before his hand went forward.

If it hits the ground they would rule the ball live, not dead as an incompletion.  So it's a fumble, not an interception.

Weird play though.  Kinda like Jones blocking the punt before it was kicked.

9 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Agree with your 3 stars.

HH - For me, the fans on the away side for being absolute menaces to the Redblacks. Their players were too busy mouthing off to the Blue faithful to realize they were getting their butts handed to them by the Bombers.

We aim to please:D.

My favourite part was when Pruneau made a special teams tackle after his sideline freak-out and started waving his arms at us in mock celebration.  Dude, your team has two points.  Two.

26 minutes ago, mbrg said:

We aim to please:D.

My favourite part was when Pruneau made a special teams tackle after his sideline freak-out and started waving his arms at us in mock celebration.  Dude, your team has two points.  Two.

I'd add Elliotts spin ball move after making a first down. Dunnigan's reaction to that was priceless. He said something to the effect of dude you moved the chains, you didn't just win the Grey Cup.

3 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I was a little surprised the confiscated my umbrella at the gates, like c'mon man it's raining sideways! Luckily my seats were dry and relatively void of wind - thank god cuz i stupidly came to the game in shorts and a jersey lol. 

Those people in the endzones were troopers tho. Hats off to them for sticking around, especially those not in those bombers tarp rain coat things.  Bombers might want to rethink those designs though.  They are covered with small bomber logos about the size of a fist, but from a distance, you can't see them and when you put dozens together in 1 section it seriously looks like a KKK meeting

did you get your brelly back?   Its getting a little ridiculous these days with what you can and can't bring in to a sporting event.  I mean a womens high heel shoe could do more damage than an umbrella.   And I'm sure you didn't see a lot of women walking around in bare feet last night.    But of course this is IGF and not Mosaic stadium where many women are shoeless and  many men are toothless.