2017 Preseason

FrostyWinnipeg

So mich special teams play = no flow to the game. Helle was very good. So was Michalek for Minny. 

Teams combined to take over 40 minutes in penalties and the game was 65 minutes long. That was the problem. 3/4 of the game 1 team was shorthanded. Thats the problem. 

I thought helle poolman buff toby were very good. Laine scheif wheeler ehlers little perreault connor lemieux were good also. Chiarot and nogier sucked as did dano and sgarbossa. Lowry was meh as was Armia. Stanley was meh also... Tons of giveaways but was ok period 2 and 3. Jets pretty much owned the wild 5 on 5. But special teams was yeah . no flow to the game at all. Hard to watch actually. Was boring. 

Its preseason. Leafs lost 6 2. 

2 for 10 on the PP. Haven't even practiced it yet. 

Edited by Goalie

First game of the preseason and is was about what you would expect, some of the vets were going through the motions, so I focused on the younger players starting with Hellebucyk who I thought followed the puck better tonight than I remember from last year, we got a keeper in Poolman, Connor might still need a year in the AHL but the improvement from last years camp is night and day he will be a Jet on day, Lemieux  looks like he has some promise, Stanley and this point is a project, and Nogier will be with the Moose . 

Good / Not so good - Preseason Game #1

(Good) - Helle was solid.  As already mentioned... he was just seeing the play way better and moving cross crease quicker.  Poolman looked solid.  Skates well, mostly smart decisions with the puck, didn't notice any glaring errors.  I don't have his ice time in front of me, but Lemieux was flying out there.  Hitting everything that moved, obligatory scrap too.  Little was our best forward last night; no surprises there.  He may just have a monster season if he gets a steady dose of Ehlers on his wing.   Oh, and the 10 lbs Laine put on certainly ain't hurting his shot.....is it better now?!  Straight lethal. 

(Not so good) - Officials were in preseason form.  Jets discipline in typical regular season form.   Our PP converts 12 secs into powerplay #1 of preseason.... pretty quiet with the other 219840 man advantages they had.  I'm not in the hate-everything-about-Logan-Stanley group, but pretty clear he's not ready. Major seasoning needed.   Thought Benny Chairot needs to clean up a lot if he wants regular mins this year.   Kyle Connor wasn't all that noticeable... again, not a ton of even-strength ice out there for a lot of guys - KC needs more ice before Oct.4.    

Lol yeah 2 on 1's are so weak. The only thing weak about it was Danos backcheck. 

Its preseason game 1. You could stop the ridiculousness until the season actually starts. I mean wait till you see tomorrows roster for the Jets. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thought the 2nd goal was weak.

Meh... Hard to fault the goalie on a pass the Jets give up constantly in their own end. Dano was terrible back-checking.

Pretty typical pre-season game. Gotta say the upgrades to the arena are pretty damned sweet with a lot of attention to detail. The Observation Deck really opens things up in the 300 concourse.

GRAIN OF SALT REPORT 

Helle looked really good. Kept himself big. Still a little shaky on the glove hand but he stood his ground all night. 

Dano didn't help his cause last night with blowing his assignment on minni's  goal. Armia was good in the neutral zone but still doesn't have much finish.

Chiarot is still horrible and I'm glad he's the pressbox guy this year.

Stanley didn't look out of place to me. I was expecting a pylon based on media reports and Twitter but he's clearly got more skill than he gets credit for.

Connor didn't get any ice time cause 34 minutes of the game was special teams- ridiculous. 

Little, perreault looked awesome tonight.

D corps looked pretty good considering we were missing two of our top 3 defenders in troub and Morrissey

Laine's bombs: *swoon*

Edited by Judd

17 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Meh... Hard to fault the goalie on a pass the Jets give up constantly in their own end. Dano was terrible back-checking.

Pretty typical pre-season game. Gotta say the upgrades to the arena are pretty damned sweet with a lot of attention to detail. The Observation Deck really opens things up in the 300 concourse.

a ) glad the offseason renos are nice, as they should be for the $$ they've invested.

b ) it better be more open up there!!; extra few hundred people will be milling about up there since we can't go outside. 

I thought Stanley had a really bad 1st.. Like terrible. He settled down in the 2nd and 3rd but didnt get much ice time with all the special teams. Hes definitely a project who is years away.  I actually think his O game is way better than his D game.. Dont see him being that shutdown type of D man.