The Tech Thread

The Unknown Poster

• 1 month later...

https://www.reuters.com/technology/samsung-australia-fined-97-mln-over-false-water-resistance-claims-2022-06-23/

June 23 (Reuters) - Australia's competition regulator said on Thursday a court ordered the local unit of Samsung Electronics (005930.KS) to pay a A$14 million ($9.65 million) penalty for nine misleading advertisements about a water-resistance feature in some of its smartphones.

Samsung Australia admitted to misleading buyers of some of its 'Galaxy' phones about the water-resistance level, the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) said. The regulator had first sued the company in July 2019.

https://newatlas.com/wearables/mojo-vision-ar-contact-lens/

Forget your bulky AR headsets, smart contact lenses are coming to place augmented reality displays right there on your eyeball. Last week, Mojo Vision CEO Drew Perkins volunteered to test the first feature-complete prototype of his company's design.

Mojo Vision has been working on a smart contact lens design since 2015, and its latest prototype Mojo Lens packs in a pretty impressive amount of gear – especially for something that has to live behind your eyelid.

For starters, it has the world's smallest and highest-density display capable of showing dynamic content – a green monochrome MicroLED display measuring less than 0.5 mm (0.02 in) in diameter, with a resolution of 14,000 pixels per inch. It's got an ARM Core M0 processor, a 5-GHz radio capable of communicating at ultra-low latency, and enough accelerometers, gyroscopes and magnetometers to track your eye movements with extreme precision, allowing the image to stay stable even as you move your eyes around.

It's got a medical-grade micro-battery built into its outer ring – which will be big enough to run the thing all day long in the final product version – as well as power management circuits and a wireless charging system. And you won't need hand controls, or a smartphone, or even Meta's crazy nerve-hijacking control inputs to control it – Mojo Vision has designed a hands-free user interface controlled by your own eye movements.

His comments on the experience were pretty succinct: "After completing preclinical testing and mitigating potential safety risks, I wore Mojo Lens," Perkins said in a blog post. "Much to my delight, I found I could interact with a compass to find my bearings, view images, and use an on-screen teleprompter to read a surprising but familiar quote. I experienced firsthand the future with Invisible Computing ... Wearing the lens was inspiring. Seeing the future literally put me at a loss for words."

I can't wait to see the final version for consumer use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not saying that this is how you end up with Skynet... but I feel like this is the beginning of how you could end up with Skynet...

https://www.gpb.org/news/shots-health-news/2022/10/14/brain-cells-in-lab-dish-learn-play-pong-and-offer-window#:~:text=Neurons Play Pong&text=A dish of living brain,reports in the journal Neuron.

Fascinating technology though

Edited by Sard
added comment

Haven't been here for a bit, but figured this would be the best place to ask a question.

I've got the 2019 and 2021 Grey Cups on my Shaw Gateway PVR. I would like to move to Bluecurve (before we win the 2022 Grey Cup) but I don't want to lose the last two.

Does anyone know of a reliable way to get something off the Gateway? Or, alternatively, can I buy DVD's of the Grey Cups?

25 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

Haven't been here for a bit, but figured this would be the best place to ask a question.

I've got the 2019 and 2021 Grey Cups on my Shaw Gateway PVR. I would like to move to Bluecurve (before we win the 2022 Grey Cup) but I don't want to lose the last two.

Does anyone know of a reliable way to get something off the Gateway? Or, alternatively, can I buy DVD's of the Grey Cups?

Pretty sure 2019 is on YouTube