The Tech Thread

The Unknown Poster

• 2 weeks later...

Form Energy’s Iron-Air Battery Considered Potentially Disruptive for Power Industry

Washington Post
“Iron-air batteries: Huge green-energy breakthrough, or just a lot of hype?”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/07/27/iron-air-batteries-huge-green-energy-breakthrough-or-just-lot-hype/

This Washington Post article is very cautious, noting that battery breakthrough announcements often do not pan out, but the author does bring up the point that iron is 2000 times more plentiful than lithium, and that replacing lithium with iron would make it much easier for the United States to be come self sufficient in storage batteries, since no rare-earth materials (few are currently produced in the US) are required.

Oilprice.com
“Iron-Air Batteries Could Be The Breakthrough Energy Markets Are Waiting For”
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Iron-Air-Batteries-Could-Be-The-Breakthrough-Energy-Markets-Are-Waiting-For.html

The authors of this article not that Form energy has raised $250 million, and the company has announced a deal to provide 150 hours energy storage to the Great River Energy cooperative in Minnesota US (lithium-ion energy storage systems are typically for 2-4 hours).

They write: “a relatively inexpensive 100 hour plus utility-scale storage battery is as disruptive a technological force for the electric utility industry as anything we have ever seen.”

I don't know about you guys, but I wish AM/FM portable radios would make a comeback the one I had been using for a long time had died on me, and unless 97.5 also broadcasts bomber games I might be out of luck tomorrow I'll be super busy and god knows how long it will be until I get home

3 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I don't know about you guys, but I wish AM/FM portable radios would make a comeback the one I had been using for a long time had died on me, and unless 97.5 also broadcasts bomber games I might be out of luck tomorrow I'll be super busy and god knows how long it will be until I get home

You can stream it on your phone, via CJOB. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I am continually amazed at how many people stream radio these days. I get regular numbers sent to me and my steaming numbers are staggering. 

I have SiriusXM and YouTube. That's my music. I also have Spotify but only because it's free for 6 months. Radio is dead to me right now. I would listen to CBC radio when I was driving to work. 

I listen to some podcasts, otherwise, what I noted above. 

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

I have SiriusXM and YouTube. That's my music. I also have Spotify but only because it's free for 6 months. Radio is dead to me right now. I would listen to CBC radio when I was driving to work. 

I listen to some podcasts, otherwise, what I noted above. 

I listen to Spotify pretty exclusively... But a **** ton of people stream terrestrial radio through websites and apps like Radio Player Canada... 

11 hours ago, iHeart said:

Lots of them on Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace.

On 2021-09-17 at 9:40 PM, Noeller said:

I listen to Spotify pretty exclusively... But a **** ton of people stream terrestrial radio through websites and apps like Radio Player Canada... 

Do they give you location specifics.  I would wonder if the people listening to certain stations are outside of their coverage area.

I sometimes stream CJOB on my phone for the pre and post games shows at home games because I've got a 15-20 minute walk to my car from the stadium.

Just now, Sard said:

Do they give you location specifics.  I would wonder if the people listening to certain stations are outside of their coverage area.

I sometimes stream CJOB on my phone for the pre and post games shows at home games because I've got a 15-20 minute walk to my car from the stadium.

Yes, I'd say it's about a 50/50 split of people in the listening area who just prefer to use their phone, and half people who are out of the area....

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I did order one a while ago but cousin needed it as soon as i got it. She liked it.

I know there was one today(RFD mention) for <40 now @ 43 which is meh price to me. 

That's what I saw too, which is why I asked. Sketchy seller, so I wasn't going to order. Supply is still low but I'm sure the price will go down, in time. Home Depot carries them, along with other retailers, so I expect a sale at some point. Hopefully before Xmas. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...