The Tech Thread

The Unknown Poster

Google Photos news...

Starting June 1, 2021, all new photos and videos backed up in High quality will count toward the free 15 GB of storage that comes with your Google Account or any additional storage you may have purchased, the same way other Google services like Google Drive and Gmail already do.

All photos and videos you back up in High quality before June 1, 2021 are exempt from this change and will not count toward your Google Account storage. This includes all of your existing content uploaded in High quality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Brandon said:

That is super cheap all things considered.  People up North or in remote areas will be absolutely thrilled at those prices.

Considering the speeds and supposed reliability, the initial upfront cost seems worth it. $129 a month is pretty reasonable but keep in mind that pricing will likely change as more and more users get on StarLink over time.

This is huge for rural/remote populations across the country where access to reliable and fast internet remains mostly impossible with current land-based technology.

I own a business out of town. Xplornet and MTS are available but they both suck. They have download speeds of 1-10 mbps even though I pay for 50.
I think I pay about 100/month or so.

When Starlink gets its kinks figured out I will certainly get it. It'll make all my staffs lives way easier. They just want to watch Netflix and not wait 15 minutes for it to buffer. It shouldn't be that difficult in 2021

Edited by Dr Zaius

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

I own a business out of town. Xplornet and MTS are available but they both suck. They have download speeds of 1-10 mbps even though I pay for 50.
I think I pay about 100/month or so.

When Starlink gets its kinks figured out I will certainly get it. It'll make all my staffs lives way easier. They just want to watch Netflix and not wait 15 minutes for it to buffer. It shouldn't be that difficult in 2021

Friends live in St. Andrews, just north of the airport there. They were paying for high-speed service but it was barely better than dialup. They complained repeatedly but eventually Bell/MTS told them that it was just too expensive to provide real highspeed service to them, and if they did not stop complaining, they would be cut off. They went to a dish service.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Considering the speeds and supposed reliability, the initial upfront cost seems worth it. $129 a month is pretty reasonable but keep in mind that pricing will likely change as more and more users get on StarLink over time.

Gonna have a world monopoly on out of the way internet. No one can compete.  They've put up 800 and they still are sending up another 42000!

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

It may have been political hot air, but during the last election, the Liberals promised to begin the process of providing high-speed internet to remote communities. No doubt that the horrendous expenses associated with the pandemic has kiboshed that.

Connect To Innovate is the program name and it's still up and running, AFAIK. 

The Connect to Innovate program is investing $585 million by 2023 and will bring high-speed Internet to 975 rural and remote communities in Canada, including 190 Indigenous communities. Challenging geography and smaller populations present barriers to private sector investment in building, operating and maintaining infrastructure in these communities.

This program supports new "backbone" infrastructure to connect institutions like schools and hospitals with a portion of funding for upgrades and "last-mile" infrastructure to households and businesses. Canadians will have the opportunity to innovate and participate in our economy, democracy and way of life using new digital tools and cutting-edge services like tele-health and tele-learning.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/119.nsf/eng/home

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Intriguing, anyhow....curious to see if that takes off. 

Hey, tech related thing......... what all are you guys doing for smart watches these days? I'm an Android-only guy, and want to get a new smart watch for the usual stuff...sleep tracking, fitness monitoring, and I like the idea of being able to receive texts and stuff on it. I think @17to85you've got a Samsung, right?  What's everyone else doing? Are they all in around that $250 mark -ish? 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Hey, tech related thing......... what all are you guys doing for smart watches these days? I'm an Android-only guy, and want to get a new smart watch for the usual stuff...sleep tracking, fitness monitoring, and I like the idea of being able to receive texts and stuff on it. I think @17to85you've got a Samsung, right?  What's everyone else doing? Are they all in around that $250 mark -ish? 

I have a 5x, but it's not around $250. Also not the current best for Garmin, but was when I bought it.

Is really more than I need, but it does a whole lot of stuff.

10 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

I have a 5x, but it's not around $250. Also not the current best for Garmin, but was when I bought it.

Is really more than I need, but it does a whole lot of stuff.

I'll look into that...thanks!

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Yeah I have the active 2. I quite like it, especially since I have a galaxy phone so pairing is quite smooth. Even the times I have answered a phone call on the watch it is pretty good quality. It was reasonably priced I think, but it's also old tech so if you want the latest and greatest who knows what they cost.