The Tech Thread

The Unknown Poster

16 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I have an OLED I got to replace my several year old LED.  I notice a difference when Im watching a great source.  But honestly, I doubt I'd lean towards a more expensive model in the future (I was able to get a deal cause I knew a guy who knew a guy).  

Check out Costco if you're able to.  They have some non-name brand TV's, great prices and ofcourse, their warranty is great.  I bought my mom a TV from there and it looks as good as mine (or at least comparable) for a fraction of the price.

I've got a power board on the way.

But for how I watch tv/sports, I know I want OLED. Dark room, lights off etc. I looked at 2 tv's on clearance at the Brick side by side, both LG, one OLED and one LCD. Clear difference in the blacks (both playing same source Age of Ultron). OLED suffers in bright rooms as they don't get bright enough, but this is for the basement with blackout curtains.

If I can't fix it (and I'm pretty sure I can), then Costco is a good choice for the warranty. Price between them and others is the same on the same model, but $100 to extend the in home warranty to 5 yrs vs. $500 and other stores. They don't quite have the model I'm looking for. They have the LG B9, but I want the step up C9.

26 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

I've got a power board on the way.

But for how I watch tv/sports, I know I want OLED. Dark room, lights off etc. I looked at 2 tv's on clearance at the Brick side by side, both LG, one OLED and one LCD. Clear difference in the blacks (both playing same source Age of Ultron). OLED suffers in bright rooms as they don't get bright enough, but this is for the basement with blackout curtains.

If I can't fix it (and I'm pretty sure I can), then Costco is a good choice for the warranty. Price between them and others is the same on the same model, but $100 to extend the in home warranty to 5 yrs vs. $500 and other stores. They don't quite have the model I'm looking for. They have the LG B9, but I want the step up C9.

Mine is a 65" LG OLED.  Its our primary TV and is in our living room.  I hear what you mean about brightness as we have a large window opposite the TV and I always have to pull the black out curtains.  But it does look awesome with those deep inky blacks.  I paired it with an OPPO 4K Blu Ray Player which was a splurge as at the time it was the best rated player but pretty expensive.  There are lots of options now but its pretty awesome to throw in an older Blu Ray (as I did with the Sopranos) and have it be practically a new viewing experience!

Let us know what you get if you do get a new one!

On a semi related topic, Im slowly working on our basement.  We bought my parents home and the basement was finished by my dad about 40 years ago (wood panneling, stucky, mirrors etc).  I want to tear it all out and do a simple dry wall & carpet combo for a nice dark home theatre.  I've always shied away from projectors but I'd like to go with a very large screen for a movie theatre experience.  Anyone do this?  (If I can afford it, we'd do an Atmos surround as well).  Probably a year off at best.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Mine is a 65" LG OLED.  Its our primary TV and is in our living room.  I hear what you mean about brightness as we have a large window opposite the TV and I always have to pull the black out curtains.  But it does look awesome with those deep inky blacks.  I paired it with an OPPO 4K Blu Ray Player which was a splurge as at the time it was the best rated player but pretty expensive.  There are lots of options now but its pretty awesome to throw in an older Blu Ray (as I did with the Sopranos) and have it be practically a new viewing experience!

Let us know what you get if you do get a new one!

On a semi related topic, Im slowly working on our basement.  We bought my parents home and the basement was finished by my dad about 40 years ago (wood panneling, stucky, mirrors etc).  I want to tear it all out and do a simple dry wall & carpet combo for a nice dark home theatre.  I've always shied away from projectors but I'd like to go with a very large screen for a movie theatre experience.  Anyone do this?  (If I can afford it, we'd do an Atmos surround as well).  Probably a year off at best.

@kelownabomberfan has a nice setup with a projector. My room is too small for one as I'm under 10 ft from the TV. I like my 60" but would go 65 if I went OLED. Price jump to 77 is insane (IMHO)

I painted the wood paneling instead of replacing it. When the basement was done (long before I bought it) it was framed for drywall, but then they put up thin paneling. So the put in scrap strapping to get the depth right. So if I pulled out the paneling I'd be having to tear out thousands of pieces of strapping. I just am finishing the ceiling, but left it a kind of home made drop ceiling in case I need to get up there again.

On 2020-01-08 at 11:16 AM, tacklewasher said:

@kelownabomberfan has a nice setup with a projector. My room is too small for one as I'm under 10 ft from the TV. I like my 60" but would go 65 if I went OLED. Price jump to 77 is insane (IMHO)

I painted the wood paneling instead of replacing it. When the basement was done (long before I bought it) it was framed for drywall, but then they put up thin paneling. So the put in scrap strapping to get the depth right. So if I pulled out the paneling I'd be having to tear out thousands of pieces of strapping. I just am finishing the ceiling, but left it a kind of home made drop ceiling in case I need to get up there again.

I have this great fear of tearing open the walls but I'd like to replace the insulation as its 40 years old too.  And I've always loved a normal drywall ceiling but yeah, probably just leave the drop ceiling (maybe replace the tiles with something a bit more modern)...makes it easy.  Especially if/when I install the ATMOS system lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2020-04-15 at 5:33 PM, Tracker said:

The absolute best/cheapest cellphone provider is Zoomer wireless out of Vancouver. The wife and I get new phones and a very nice (for our needs)  plan for $50.00 per month. We have been very happy with our service for the past 5 years.

Hey just joined up here.

uBJzLqH.png

Day before it was 6GB data.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Last year, Canada’s Big Telcos asked the government to block a key CRTC decision that will make Internet prices more affordable for millions of Canadians. You joined over 150,000 Canadians who spoke up, and told the government you deserved lower internet and cell phone bills. Bad news: the Government caved to pressure from the Big Telcos and Internet prices are already on the rise. Shouldn’t the government look out for your interests, not Big Telco profits? Click the link below to visit OpenMedia.org and make your voice heard:

https://openmedia.org/BigTelecomBains/

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

• 3 weeks later...