The Tech Thread

The Unknown Poster

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I've got Ring items and you need to protect it like any wireless device. Not a Ring issue per se, just that these have become popular, the setup is easy so consumers can do it and not secure it well. No different than a wireless printer.

26 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

I've got Ring items and you need to protect it like any wireless device. Not a Ring issue per se, just that these have become popular, the setup is easy so consumers can do it and not secure it well. No different than a wireless printer.

Oh so you thought. It looks like they probably were hacked.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/19/ring-doorbell-passwords-exposed/

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Oh so you thought. It looks like they probably were hacked.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/19/ring-doorbell-passwords-exposed/

Maybe. But the two step authentication they have available is reasonable protection. The issue is most don't enable it. Again, consumers not understanding how to protect their privacy.

• 2 weeks later...

What would you replace a plasma tv with?

My 10 yr old LG 60" plasma died. Will power on but won't turn on (screen is blank). Happened once before after a lightning storm and I repaired it, but getting a bit pricy for a 10 yr old TV, although I do love the plasma.

Would I be disappointed with an LCD and do I need to go OLED? Was just at the Brick and they had a E8 (last years model) sitting next to a LCD and the difference seem pretty clear, but I'm looking at $2.5 - 3K all in to go OLED.

Mostly for football, hockey, movies and some light gaming (Xbox One S)

Thanks

On 2020-01-04 at 4:27 PM, tacklewasher said:

What would you replace a plasma tv with?

My 10 yr old LG 60" plasma died. Will power on but won't turn on (screen is blank). Happened once before after a lightning storm and I repaired it, but getting a bit pricy for a 10 yr old TV, although I do love the plasma.

Would I be disappointed with an LCD and do I need to go OLED? Was just at the Brick and they had a E8 (last years model) sitting next to a LCD and the difference seem pretty clear, but I'm looking at $2.5 - 3K all in to go OLED.

Mostly for football, hockey, movies and some light gaming (Xbox One S)

Thanks

I have an OLED I got to replace my several year old LED.  I notice a difference when Im watching a great source.  But honestly, I doubt I'd lean towards a more expensive model in the future (I was able to get a deal cause I knew a guy who knew a guy).  

Check out Costco if you're able to.  They have some non-name brand TV's, great prices and ofcourse, their warranty is great.  I bought my mom a TV from there and it looks as good as mine (or at least comparable) for a fraction of the price.