The Tech Thread

The Unknown Poster

Here's a fantastic account of a local guy getting jerked around by BellMTS in order to keep his discount:

https://twitter.com/Brent_Neill/status/1116461907966332929

I switched to TekSavvy for my internet last month and it couldn't have gone smoother. Went from paying Shaw $75 for 15 mb/s to $37.95 for 25 mb/s (both unlimited). Signed up for Tek online and just hooked up the modem they sent me on service change day. When I called Shaw to cancel (and waited on hold for 25 minutes), the guy first said "what can we do to keep you with us", but when I told him it was too late and told him who I was switching to, he basically said "I don't blame you, we can't come near their prices".

2 hours ago, nate007 said:

Here's a fantastic account of a local guy getting jerked around by BellMTS in order to keep his discount:

https://twitter.com/Brent_Neill/status/1116461907966332929

I switched to TekSavvy for my internet last month and it couldn't have gone smoother. Went from paying Shaw $75 for 15 mb/s to $37.95 for 25 mb/s (both unlimited). Signed up for Tek online and just hooked up the modem they sent me on service change day. When I called Shaw to cancel (and waited on hold for 25 minutes), the guy first said "what can we do to keep you with us", but when I told him it was too late and told him who I was switching to, he basically said "I don't blame you, we can't come near their prices".

Yeah if you just need net then TekSavvy. What i found weird is that a buddy who is just south of Perim can only get lowest of the low DSL and Shaw says they dont go there but Teksavvy shows they can double the speed at same price as BellMTS.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Oh, I know! Also at Costco for 2/$195. 

I actually bought the Nest Hello Doorbell and got a free Google Nest Hub. Still deciding whether or not to keep it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Fraser said:

My phone is up for renewal and the only phones I can get for free without jacking up my plan are a Huawei P30 or a Galaxy s9. Any recommendations? Is Huawei loosing access to android really an issue for existing plans?

My concern would be future updates and support. I know they've said they'll continue to support it but what resources will they put into it versus their own solution? 

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

My concern would be future updates and support. I know they've said they'll continue to support it but what resources will they put into it versus their own solution? 

I kind of wonder about future updates as a good thing. Maybe I paranoid but I feel like my s7 has gotten worse with every update post my contract expiring as a way to entice me to get a new phone/contract

Just now, Fraser said:

I kind of wonder about future updates as a good thing. Maybe I paranoid but I feel like my s7 has gotten worse with every update post my contract expiring as a way to entice me to get a new phone/contract

I have an S7. It's a back up now that my kids use for their needs. It was getting worse until a recent update, which seem to have saved the battery a bit. 

I'm less worried about the features of future updates and more worried about the security patches and updates. However, if you're going with Huawei, security probably isn't a concern for you! (I kid) 

• 2 weeks later...