The Tech Thread

The Unknown Poster

1 hour ago, StevetheClub said:

Those prices mean that when it's time for a new phone I'll be looking long and hard at an Android.

I've been an Android fan and supporter for 8 years. I'm pretty invested in the ecosystem, both Android and Google. Google Minis at home, Chromecasts, YouTube Premium, etc. 

That being said, in my last position at work, I had an iPhone. I had it just short of two years and I miss it dearly. Not because of the tech but because of a few simple things like iMessages. My friends and family have iPhones and I relied heavily on the simplicity of iMessages, including the group chat.

I'm up for renewal now and I was prepared to get an iPhone over an Note 9. Now, with these prices, I can't justify it. It will cost me hundreds more. I like the larger screen, so I would need a Xs Max. I need more than 64gb, so I would need to get the 256gb model. 

It will cost me $640 more to get the iPhone Xs Max over the Note 9. That's a lot of money. 

I can make the Google ecosystem work without an Android phone but I can't get over the price difference. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I've been an Android fan and supporter for 8 years. I'm pretty invested in the ecosystem, both Android and Google. Google Minis at home, Chromecasts, YouTube Premium, etc. 

That being said, in my last position at work, I had an iPhone. I had it just short of two years and I miss it dearly. Not because of the tech but because of a few simple things like iMessages. My friends and family have iPhones and I relied heavily on the simplicity of iMessages, including the group chat.

I'm up for renewal now and I was prepared to get an iPhone over an Note 9. Now, with these prices, I can't justify it. It will cost me hundreds more. I like the larger screen, so I would need a Xs Max. I need more than 64gb, so I would need to get the 256gb model. 

It will cost me $640 more to get the iPhone Xs Max over the Note 9. That's a lot of money. 

I can make the Google ecosystem work without an Android phone but I can't get over the price difference. 

It seems iMessages keeps a remarkable number of people in the Apple ecosystem; I know that was one of the biggest factors for us. That and Apple getting into the mid-range market (my wife and I got SEs). Now that they're back to being high-end only I don't think even iMessages will be enough to keep us when it's time for a new phone (I was very close to getting a Nokia 6.1 a few months ago but had trouble even justifying that expense with my SE still ticking).  I'm impatiently waiting for the day when there is a capable iMessage equivalent on Android. 

1 minute ago, StevetheClub said:

It seems iMessages keeps a remarkable number of people in the Apple ecosystem; I know that was one of the biggest factors for us. That and Apple getting into the mid-range market (my wife and I got SEs). Now that they're back to being high-end only I don't think even iMessages will be enough to keep us when it's time for a new phone (I was very close to getting a Nokia 6.1 a few months ago but had trouble even justifying that expense with my SE still ticking).  I'm impatiently waiting for the day when there is a capable iMessage equivalent on Android. 

Where does the Xr slot in? Too high? I didn't really look at it or consider it. 

I'll be watching with curiosity when Apple needs to announce their sales. That should be telling if they miss targets. 

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

Where does the Xr slot in? Too high? I didn't really look at it or consider it. 

I'll be watching with curiosity when Apple needs to announce their sales. That should be telling if they miss targets. 

Xr is just over $1000 to start.  It not a matter of can I afford it but do I want to. At this stage in my life (i.e., with a young family) I would much rather buy something like the Nokia 6.1 and spend the other $700 elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, StevetheClub said:

Xr is just over $1000 to start.  It not a matter of can I afford it but do I want to. At this stage in my life (i.e., with a young family) I would much rather buy something like the Nokia 6.1 and spend the other $700 elsewhere. 

No doubt. I'm in exactly the same boat. I just don't want to spend that much money on a phone. I believe that they pushed a bit too far.

We'll see if they meet their forecasts. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎/‎10‎/‎16 at 1:54 PM, JCon said:

Give me Goldeneye, Starfox and a good wrestling game (like WCW Nitro) and I'll buy it. 

They'll probably include Doom 64 and a good Mario. 

I doubt that they will have Golden Eye or a Wrestling game (licensing issues).   I'd imagine it's mostly Nintendo first party games. 

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Done!

And by the way, I am an avid Apple user but man am I angry.  We have an older macbook pro and in August the HD died.  I dont use the cloud but I do keep most things on an external hard drive so it wasnt the end of the world (lost a handful of things I just recently saved to the HD).  

Go to Apple...where you really have to plan a whole day.  Was willing to buy a new macbook or large desktop (I like video editing) but they talked me into replacing the HD because it would be such a huge upgrade over what we had.  So we do that.

Last month, it crashes again and needs a complete re-install.

Last week, same thing.  Seems to be related to one of the updates for the OS.  I was so angry, I almost bought a PC.  GF talked me down.  What the heck??