Denis Shapovalov

Taynted_Fayth

Didn't want to bump the Rogers Cup thread as he's in the US open right now. I've caught his last 3 matches including today's win over Edmund as he moves onto the 4th round (16 players). For only 18 this kid is pretty good and fun to watch. Still has some obvious flaws to his game, but looking at his schedule he has a very good chance to make it to the final 4. Commentators were saying even if he lost today he likely would have risen to about 58th in the world, but now it can be even higher.

There was another 17 year old Canadian the commentators were mentioning named Felix Auger-Aliassime who they think is even better then Shapovalov, as he's the 7th youngest player to crack the ATP top 250 and win a challenger.

As a Canadian, tennis might be something to watch for next foreseeable future. Suddenly we're a hot bed for rising tennis stars

It's really something to see how far tennis has come in Canada. Shapovalov is winning a lot of fans with the energy he brings. I am a fan simply because he doesn't fall into the trap that a lot of players are falling into of just trying not to lose, he goes out there and goes for it and tries to dictate points. The fact that he's got a well rounded enough game to do it is great. Even if he goes out next round (And let's remember he is playing something like the 12th seed next round) what he's done the past month is pretty special. Youngest player to reach a masters semi final, youngest in a long time to go this far in a major in a long time. (for comparison at 18 Djokovic only made the third round) Hell of a run for the kid. Hope he can keep it going. Hell he's got a great chance to do even more just based on how insane this US Open is with the top players dropping like flies. He's in the opposite half of the draw to Federer and Nadal, but even they are playing like ass this tournament so far. Anyones game and it's been a long time since we could say that about a mens major tennis tournament. 

Yeah up next is the 12th seed, but he just knocked off the 8th seed his previous match in Tsonga and did so pretty dominantly. Thing I'm most impressed about this kid is how well he rises to the challenge when playing these high seeded players.  Being as young as he is with a lot of growing to do in his game,  I think we're for sure seeing something special here.  I thought maybe the Roger's Cup was a 1 off due to the home crowd boost but he's starting to put that doubt to bed. Since he didn't qualify for the wild card in this major he's won 6 straight matches to get this far. 

It's also pretty amazing how much the crowd is being him at this US open.  Every match i've watched so far the fans have been behind him 100%. Almost feel bad for the other players as they get next to no cheers when they do well lol

Tsonga might have been the 8th seed but that dude hasn't done much of anything lately. Guys on the way down are a lot less scary than guys hanging around close to the top 10 in my opinion. 

That being said he's got a good chance to win because I really believe that momentum is a real thing.

While I've always had a passing interest in tennis (...the maternal Brit in me enjoys the Euro Elitist aspect of the game...) I didn't start really caring a lot until Milos came around because I'm patriotic to a fault. Now, with Shapo and the fire he brings, I'm almost treating this like hockey. I'm checking The Score app to see when the next game is and make sure I can watch it. I am really really amped for this kid, and that's saying something for someone who's not a dyed-in-the-wool tennis fan...

I think a big part of it is that people are just waiting for someone new to shake up the scene. It's why Zverev (the good one) is getting so much hype, it's why people hold out hope that one day Kyrgios will pull his head out of his ass, Federer is 36 for gods sake and still the best player in the world, Nadal is on the wrong side of 30 and still beats everyone on clay, Djokovic and Murray are around that 30 age and starting to break down and people are wondering who fills the gap when they aren't at the top of their games anymore. 

Too many young players are just grinders in my opinion, just play it safe and return everything and don't lose and wait for a mistake, that's where Shapovalov brings the most hope, the kid goes for it and isn't afraid of going to the net even if it's not his strongest point in his game.