Bringing the Riders back to earth and their fans back to reality ...

IC Khari

I must be thinking of a different game.....I remember seeing a shirt commemorating a game, and said we only had 21k and change at the game....maybe it was the last game of the year in 2012 before we moved into the new barn, that I'm thinking of.....

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I must be thinking of a different game.....I remember seeing a shirt commemorating a game, and said we only had 21k and change at the game....maybe it was the last game of the year in 2012 before we moved into the new barn, that I'm thinking of.....

Eh you're memories are close enough.  Individual game attendances are tricky to pinpoint - at least so far for me.   But I recall the same....   I'll defend Bomber fans til the end of times, but we're not a traditionally strong playoff city.   

- - - 

So, I figure I started attending games full-time as a kid about 1994.   In the 23 seasons since, we've hosted 9 home playoff games.  Worse yet, that 9/23 total includes '94 and 2001 when we had 2 home games each season.  Ouch. 

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think this is the 21K season ticket holder record shirt not for one game :) 

1 hour ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Someone at RF.com said the other day that if we host a home playoff game they hope it's not a cold day as half of our fans won't show up to the game and would rather watch on TV...... Ummmmm 2011 was brutally cold and it was a sell out. I can guarantee that if the Bombers host a playoff it will be a sell out no matter what the temperature is....book it.

This coming from the fan base who couldn't sell out a home playoff game a few years back.

I love cold weather games! Get the old leather gloves out, hammer back a few cold ones and im good to go! 

In the 1988 season, the Bombers hosted Hamilton in the East division semi-final. The Bombers had finished 9-9 that year, but lost their last 3 games, and everyone figured the powerhouse Argonauts were going to wipe the floor with whomever won the semi-final, so only 12,210 showed up for that playoff game. Then the Bombers went on to upset Toronto and met BC (who upset Edmonton) in the Grey Cup - we all know what happened next. Merch sales went through the roof after the Grey Cup win, and GM Cal Murphy joked "We are going to print up t-shirts saying "I was one of the 12,210" in honour of the true fans who never gave up faith and came out and spurred us to our Grey Cup run. We plan to sell 50,000 of them." They in fact did sell those t-shirts, and I'm pretty sure they sold more than 12,210 of them.

FYI, whenever the debate about who on this board is or is not a true fan starts up, and people point to:

- how loud you are at games

-how much beer you consume

-how many jerseys you own

-what price point you buy tickets at

-whether or not you are "positive" enough on the fan boards

-whether you truly believe they will win every game

among other reasons as the criteria to determine "true fandom", just know that every one of those reasons is no basis to determine the issue.

FACT IS, THE ONLY CRITERIA IS "WERE YOU AT THE 12,210 GAME?" IF NOT, YOU ARE NOT A TRUE FAN. END OF STORY.

I WAS THERE, AND DIDN'T NEED A T-SHIRT AFTERWARDS TO TRUMPET MY ALLEGIANCE EITHER. SUCK IT, ALL YOU POSERS WHO CLAIM TO BE REAL FANS BUT WEREN'T THERE (ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO DIDN'T GO BUT BOUGHT THE T-SHIRT).  :-D

[Forum explodes in 3, 2, 1............]

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

What's up with the Banjo Bowl selling out before the Labour Day Classic?

Tickets haven’t sold out for the 2017 Labour Day Classic between the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Winnipeg Blue Bombers.   http://www.cjme.com/2017/08/29/tickets-to-labour-day-classic-still-available/

I don't want to hear anymore crap from that fan base about their great support.

Well, we've each had 4 home games this season and so far we're averaging over 5300 fans per game more than you guys... :P (as per cfl.ca)

1 hour ago, szaroz71 said:

Well, we've each had 4 home games this season and so far we're averaging over 5300 fans per game more than you guys... :P (as per cfl.ca)

Yeah but people here also have other things to do. Our entire provinces life doesnt revolve around football. 

Yours does cuz its truly all you got... Especially in Regina which is more like Selkirk or Brandon than Winnipeg. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

In the 1988 season, the Bombers hosted Hamilton in the East division semi-final. The Bombers had finished 9-9 that year, but lost their last 3 games, and everyone figured the powerhouse Argonauts were going to wipe the floor with whomever won the semi-final, so only 12,210 showed up for that playoff game. Then the Bombers went on to upset Toronto and met BC (who upset Edmonton) in the Grey Cup - we all know what happened next. Merch sales went through the roof after the Grey Cup win, and GM Cal Murphy joked "We are going to print up t-shirts saying "I was one of the 12,210" in honour of the true fans who never gave up faith and came out and spurred us to our Grey Cup run. We plan to sell 50,000 of them." They in fact did sell those t-shirts, and I'm pretty sure they sold more than 12,210 of them.

FYI, whenever the debate about who on this board is or is not a true fan starts up, and people point to:

- how loud you are at games

-how much beer you consume

-how many jerseys you own

-what price point you buy tickets at

-whether or not you are "positive" enough on the fan boards

-whether you truly believe they will win every game

among other reasons as the criteria to determine "true fandom", just know that every one of those reasons is no basis to determine the issue.

FACT IS, THE ONLY CRITERIA IS "WERE YOU AT THE 12,210 GAME?" IF NOT, YOU ARE NOT A TRUE FAN. END OF STORY.

I WAS THERE, AND DIDN'T NEED A T-SHIRT AFTERWARDS TO TRUMPET MY ALLEGIANCE EITHER. SUCK IT, ALL YOU POSERS WHO CLAIM TO BE REAL FANS BUT WEREN'T THERE (ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO DIDN'T GO BUT BOUGHT THE T-SHIRT).  :-D

[Forum explodes in 3, 2, 1............]

My wife and I were there and we didn't need any stinking shirt either. One of my last games before we moved to Vancouver. At least we got to see the 1990 Grey Cup live.

35 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Yeah but people here also have other things to do. Our entire provinces life doesnt revolve around football. 

Yours does cuz its truly all you got... Especially in Regina which is more like Selkirk or Brandon than Winnipeg. 

Not true. Don't they have professional hockey as well?  No wait, they have the the Blades and the Pats., nice. (I do like Junior hockey but not that much).

57 minutes ago, Goalie said:

So... you're saying we have better fan support?:)

3 minutes ago, szaroz71 said:

So... you're saying we have better fan support?:)

No. We do. Its not close. We could have 28 to 30 k at a football game... 15000 plus at a nhl game and 6500 plus at a AA baseball game... All in the same day. Its happened before quite a bit. You cant do that. You are in Regina... I mean cmon.. Comparing Winnipeg, a major capital city to a dump like Regina is pointless. Hey.. Ive been to Regina.. We stopped there to eat and let the dog piss on the grass... Cuz thats really all there is to do.