3 stars + HH Heart stopping OT edition

wbbfan

10 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Second HM: we won't have to listen to Rod Black talk about Nik Lewis anymore. I get its a big moment, but we have a football game going on, a damn good one to boot. 

That was the first time I've muted a Bomber game.

Another good game by the Bombers, itll be interesting if they can keep up their good fortunes in the 2nd half of the season.  Thankfully for the Riders there are still 2 games left in the first half of the season.

Bombers won their game in Mtl and full marks for that, too bad our FG kicker shanked our game winning FG attempt in Mtl.  IMO Medlock is the Bombers MVP

1 minute ago, Mosaic said:

Another good game by the Bombers, itll be interesting if they can keep up their good fortunes in the 2nd half of the season.  Thankfully for the Riders there are still 2 games left in the first half of the season.

Bombers won their game in Mtl and full marks for that, too bad our FG kicker shanked our game winning FG attempt in Mtl.  IMO Medlock is the Bombers MVP

No, Medlock is behind Harris and Nichols. They've been lights out. We're lucky we have so many players that that could be our MOP.

1. Randle

2. Denmark

3.  Harris - not as flashy of a performance as last week, but a workman's effort and some hard fought yards.

Honorable mentions: Leggett (strip sack), Medlock (obvious), Nichols (steady game, no turnovers, one before the half shouldn't really count), Adams (clutch 2-pt. conversion), JFG (ol' reliable), Jeffcoat (all around strong game, seemed to be getting pressure often).

All 3 stars go to Matt Nichols for his remarkable ability to throw the ball accurately to Clarence Denmark, despite Denmark being an invisible receiver.

Honourable mention to the Als secondary, who somehow managed to be near Denmark constantly despite his invisibility.  Remarkable fortune on their part.

And the Happy Honky goes to Denmark himself, who according to some had discovered an invisibility formula, which is a really big deal.  I'm surprised the media hasn't mentioned it.  Maybe it'll be on Shark Tank next season.   Sorry, Dragon's Den.

Denny.....he' s the man....When will the little guy get his do and recognition...I'm giving him the No 1 spot

Randle.....for sure....he was ballhawking and played his best game of the year last night

Harris....keeps churning up the yardage....just a beast out there...even when he took a helmet to the chest

(honourable mention to Meds......Mr. Automatic)

Put all that together and you have a winner

So I know Denny had a couple big grabs last night, but he had some pretty  brutal drops, too, that he needed to atone for. I really didn't feel like any of our receivers had a GREAT night......O in general wasn't something to write home about. Randle the only one who had a really great game. 

13 hours ago, Judd said:

Randle - legit top 3 DB in the league who never gets respect. He should get a CFL performer of the week, no doubt in ny mind now.
Denmark- 2 TD's, one in overtime by a hair. Clutch. 
Medlock: Money. Ice in the guys veins. When the game is on the line no one in Manitoba is closing their eyes and having their fingers crossed. We EXPECT him to nail it.

HH: JFG. Clutch catch in heavy traffic for an important first down and a TD.

Tbh, I don't fully understand the concept of the happy honker but whatevs. yolo

You must be a young un. You missed Cactus Jack who never read a name right and didn't care.  We used to down a shot every time he messed up a name.  Drunk as a skunk. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

So I know Denny had a couple big grabs last night, but he had some pretty  brutal drops, too, that he needed to atone for. I really didn't feel like any of our receivers had a GREAT night......O in general wasn't something to write home about. Randle the only one who had a really great game. 

He certainly had the best grab of the game that kept our drive alive...a one-hander that I still don't know how he kept off the turf...Maybe not GREAT but bordering

13 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

HH Normand for the tackle on fake punt

6 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Now that's a HH.

Absolutely. Missed that in my write-up, but the genuine article would have called out that play as a classic happy honker winner. Most of the plays Cactus would cite often were those ones that happened in the middle of the game, would sometimes be forgotten, but at the end of the game when discussing things the fans could say "boy, in hindsight THAT turned out to be a big play". That is the essence of the Happy Honker, moreso than the game winning FG or TD. The stop on the fake punt and Langford running down Logan which us allowed us to get a turnover 2 plays later and avoid giving up points on that drive are the kind of "little things that are really big things" that he loved to highlight. However, in this case the athletic plays by Denmark and Randle, especially in the pressure of the moment, were too much to pass up.

29 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Absolutely. Missed that in my write-up, but the genuine article would have called out that play as a classic happy honker winner. Most of the plays Cactus would cite often were those ones that happened in the middle of the game, would sometimes be forgotten, but at the end of the game when discussing things the fans could say "boy, in hindsight THAT turned out to be a big play". That is the essence of the Happy Honker, moreso than the game winning FG or TD. The stop on the fake punt and Langford running down Logan which us allowed us to get a turnover 2 plays later and avoid giving up points on that drive are the kind of "little things that are really big things" that he loved to highlight. However, in this case the athletic plays by Denmark and Randle, especially in the pressure of the moment, were too much to pass up.

Going off this criteria, I would award the HH to Medlock for the winning kick

4 hours ago, Judd said:

I have battered wife syndrome 

I do feel bad for you. As a fan, I personally experienced 3 Grey Cup wins in 84, 88 & 90. The 84 victory was the sweetest win I have ever experienced.  Seeing what the Bombers have been through since, I really cherish those memories. I've been alive long enough to remember the Bud Grant era  but I was just a kid. I was 7 when the Bombers won in 1962. Didn't understand or followed the game at that age though so I didn't care. Hopefully for you Jud, the wait won't be much longer. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I do feel bad for you. As a fan, I personally experienced 3 Grey Cup wins in 84, 88 & 90. The 84 victory was the sweetest win I have ever experienced.  Seeing what the Bombers have been through since, I really cherish those memories. I've been alive long enough to remember the Bud Grant era  but I was just a kid. I was 7 when the Bombers won in 1962. Didn't understand or followed the game at that age though so I didn't care. Hopefully for you Jud, the wait won't be much longer. 

Whenever someone bites a stalk of celery I get flashbacks to Kevin Glenn's wrist breaking. I still wake up in a cold sweat yelling "Run Dinwiddie! For God sakes, just run!".

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I sort of agree with you and yet, it wasn't unusual for him to single out overall play...just because.  As in "today I'm giving the HH to the Defense." More often though, I remember his choices as the types you identify.