Matt Nichols, Elite quarterback?

SPuDS

Is Matt Nichols "elite"?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. there seems to be much debate on this on social media and some blogs.. so, I ask.. Is Matt Nichols an Elite level QB?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not quite yet but almost
    • undecided

13 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

If it worked Lapo would have looked like a genius. I don't necessarily agree with it but we had a few games last season where the gadget play worked and we praised Lapo for it. 

It didn't though.  He either gets too conservative or too cute & goes away from what was working. That play was dreadful. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

between the 30s. See part of giving credit where credit is due is also recognizing the faults, and this is a fault that Lapo has had for years, his entire career really. Remember how back in 2002 and 2003 we were all screaming for Khari to call his own plays for the exact same reasons? 

It's just a crime that when Harris and Flanders are dominating that you don't just keep using them until they get stopped. Lapo gonna Lapo and over think it though and do the defenses job for them. 

ya that is a good point.. hes great at getting to the red zone but executing there seems to fall off the way side.  the corner route to denmark was money earlier in the year, duno why he deviated from that and I do agree with the concept of just pounding it with either Flanders or Harris until pay dirt.  Maybe hes doing all this flashy stuff now so that when it comes to crunch time they won't expect the simple stuff and it will work without hitch in playoff/late season time lol.

1 minute ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Even if the "wrong" guy sits, there's still going to be a quality player in that spot. Benefit of great depth.

If they even think of sitting Flanders that will be a serious mistake. Then again, last night Glen Suitor said that he's being coached up at all the receiver positions so I think the plan is to keep him in the lineup. 

If we're going to bring LaPo into any conversation, and talk about the Red Zone, let us not forget the problems we've had in the past. It was more like the forbidden zone.

Before last night, the Bombers were 4th in Red Zone production. Not too bad. Behind only BC, Ottawa, and Saskatchewan.

Not only that. What about at the other end of the field? Many, many times we have started DEEP in our own end...and we move the ball to a more manageable area for field position. That's the offence. That's LaPo.

So, if we criticize him at one end, we have to give him credit for the yardage the Bombers move the ball.

The OC is looking good in our 6-2 record.

If you don't believe me, ask Matt Nichols..

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

What a delicious problem to have in talking about Oko, and Lankford and Flanders and who's in and who's out. 

WE are now the ones who have a surplus of quality players. Oh, to choose...

Walters and co. have done a bang-up job getting the roster rounded out, to the point the team can pick and choose quality personnel so easily. It's great to see.

56 minutes ago, do or die said:

Keep Flanders to bookend with Harris.....add Thorpe we have a hybrid 3 RB-SB attack.

Agreed, implement an attack based on YAC so teams have to deal with an offence that they're not built to defend against or well practiced at.  Bonus that it fits in well with LaPo's short passing attack.