Matt Nichols, Elite quarterback?

SPuDS

Is Matt Nichols "elite"?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. there seems to be much debate on this on social media and some blogs.. so, I ask.. Is Matt Nichols an Elite level QB?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not quite yet but almost
    • undecided

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Nichols ham and egger numbers is the reason the comebacks were necessary. How many times has he blown someone out?  Dig that stat up.  Elite?  Nope

How many times has Glenn? Overrated & plays scared when the going gets tough.  Chokes when the stakes are high? Can't win a championship after 17 seasons. Dig that stat up. Yup.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

How many times has Glenn? Overrated? Chokes when the stakes are high? Can't win a championship after 17 seasons. Yup.

Agreed..  I'm not here hyping Glenn up.  He is adequate at qb and we can win some games with him. We are not a cup contender with him. Could we win the cup with Glenn?  Maybe.  I guess it could happen. I'm not holding my breath.

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Agreed..  I'm not here hyping Glenn up.  He is adequate at qb and we can win some games with him. We are not a cup contender with him. Could we win the cup with Glenn?  Maybe.  I guess it could happen. I'm not holding my breath.

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Nichols being on track to throw for over 5,200 yards & 36 touchdowns are not ham & egger numbers (whatever that means but I'm sure it's not complimentary). If Glenn couldn't win a Grey Cup as the starting qb with the a stacked team like the Stampeders in 2012 then it's never going to happen. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

34 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Hold your breath. Please. 

Edited by Rod Black

39 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Nichols ham and egger numbers is the reason the comebacks were necessary. How many times has he blown someone out?  Dig that stat up.  Elite?  Nope

I keep ignoring this stupid comment, but you continue to make it. If you want to argue numbers, Nichols IS elite. His statistics are elite statistics. It's everything else that has me questioning it.

Drives me nuts when someone is supporting their reasonable argument with terrible points.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nichols being on track to throw for over 5,200 yards & 36 touchdowns are not ham & egger numbers (whatever that means but I'm sure it's not complimentary). If Glenn couldn't win a Grey Cup as the starting qb with the a stacked team like the Stampeders in 2012 then it's never going to happen. 

Glenn is on pace for 5410 yards and 36 td's.  Is he elite?   Numbers this early in year mean **** all..  Why are you guys picking on Glenn to try and make Nichols look better? Glenn sucked in grey cup 5 years ago, that makes Nichols better?

39 minutes ago, Mike said:

I keep ignoring this stupid comment, but you continue to make it. If you want to argue numbers, Nichols IS elite. His statistics are elite statistics. It's everything else that has me questioning it.

Drives me nuts when someone is supporting their reasonable argument with terrible points.

What is stupid about it Mike?   Nichols stats are no better than Glenn's

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Well for one Glenn always has nearly double the INT's and the Bombers have nearly more then double the wins. So take your 40 old Glenn I'll take Nichols any day. Twice on game day ;)

Many of you trying to make it seem like I am making a case that Glenn is better than Nichols. Not even close. I am simply comparing Glenn   ( widely regarded by all of you as no good) to Nichols this year in regards to stats. If Glenn is that bad, than how can Nichols be that good?  INT's is a good argument, but that's all you got.  We have had two games where a kicker missed a critical field goal, is that Glenn's fault?  In fairness, you had one also.  There are other factors beyond qb play that determine whether the team wins or not.

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Glenn is on pace for 5410 yards and 36 td's.  Is he elite?   Numbers this early in year mean **** all..  Why are you guys picking on Glenn to try and make Nichols look better? Glenn sucked in grey cup 5 years ago, that makes Nichols better?

You called our qb a "ham & egger". So, naturally your qb shouldn't escape any criticism. Any conversation about underperforming qbs will always include Glenn. Except Nicholls isn't underperforming & hasn't since he became our starter over a year ago.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Many of you trying to make it seem like I am making a case that Glenn is better than Nichols. Not even close. I am simply comparing Glenn   ( widely regarded by all of you as no good) to Nichols this year in regards to stats. If Glenn is that bad, than how can Nichols be that good?  INT's is a good argument, but that's all you got.  We have had two games where a kicker missed a critical field goal, is that Glenn's fault?  In fairness, you had one also.  There are other factors beyond qb play that determine whether the team wins or not.

When Nichols has had as many seasons as Glenn let's compare them statistically. For now, Glenn's reputation is as a guy who crumbles under pressure. Nichols reputation is as a guy who is a warrior who's team is rallying around him. Glenn is on the down side of his career and Nichol' s future is looking quite bright indeed. Sorry, but we're in a much better position at QB. Nichols is only going to get better while Glenn ...

4 hours ago, Ripper said:

So I guess Riley has even worse ham and egger numbers than Nichols and BLM is very close as a ham and egger cause they had all these comebacks too eh based on your pee brained logic?

Also yes Nichols is better as he gets wins. Glenn..gives wins away with picks and turtleing when going gets tough.

What's Glenn's win loss record over last 2 years compared to Nichols..that should say who is better...no?

Edited by Booch

NAME TEAM QUAR TOTAL POSSESSIONS OFF PTS NET YDS FIRST DOWNS SACKS & FUMBLES RUSH YDS 2ND DOWN %
Mike Reilly EDM 96.3 95 198 2,850 177 13 126 54.4
Travis Lulay BC 94.0 55 141 1,826 102 11 103 54.2
Bo Levi Mitchell  CGY 90.5 85 196 2,606 150 9 0 49.6
Matt Nichols WPG 83.4 101 221 2,584 170 21 69 50.9
Darian Durant MTL 81.7 86 156 2,666 149 11 84 53.1
Kevin Glenn SSK 79.1 92 171 2,498 151 17 60 52.0
Trevor Harris OTT 74.5 114 208 2,894 176 22 57 48.4
Ricky Ray TOR 68.3 94 149 2,561 137 22 14 46.3
Jonathon Jennings BC 55.2 57 85 1,307 83 14 100 46.2
Zach Collaros HAM 41.4 57 108 1,820 111 24 49 35.9

https://www.cfl.ca/quar-quarterback-rating-ranking/

Edited by M.O.A.B.

9 hours ago, Ripper said:

Good counter arguement

Says the guy who can't even have a rational discussion and misuses the term ham & egger. FYI: it carries a mostly negative connotation.

To be clear, I think both Nichols and Glenn are good QBs. However, Nichols doesn't appear to have hit his ceiling and is much younger. Glenn, OTOH, is a known commodity and his best days are well behind him.

And basically poor management from Jonsie and Co. to roll with Glenn this season rather than develop a new young guy, or have did whatever it took to get an established young back-up via trade to groom for the season and onward. Instead of scrap heap Glenn and pipe dream about Vince Young.

For all intents and purposes a total waste of a year as it is pretty universally agreed that the Riders were in no way, no how ever going to challenge for the Cup this year, and really even getting into the play-offs would have been a stretch. Jones was just looking at saving his backside and his ego with the hopes of a slight increase in wins over last year to show he had made progress and deserved a 3rd year, so hitched his wagon to Glenn. 

Been probably more wise to roll with Bridge, Williams, or actually recruit a quality new guy and seen what you had there rather than plod along with Glenn and his 1 great game once every 4 or 5 with a so-so and usually 2-3 classic Glenn masterpieces mixed in

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Rider fans probably think Vernon Adams is elite now .. So really.. Who cares what they say... If nichols was a rider... The narrative would be different

Adams is a project. May or not turn out to be anything. I don't think he will ever be a superstar. Only my opinion.

20 minutes ago, bearpants said:

What does this even mean??... I love ham and eggs... nutritious and delicious!.... are you saying you love Nichols too!?  :D

We use the term in the oilpatch. A guy that just goes to work and goes home. Not great but not bad. Will be doing the same exact job 20 years from now. Never gets better at it and never moves up. Does what he's told and does a adequate job at it.    I like ham and eggs too, although I slightly more fond of bacon. 

12 minutes ago, Ripper said:

We use the term in the oilpatch. A guy that just goes to work and goes home. Not great but not bad. Will be doing the same exact job 20 years from now. Never gets better at it and never moves up. Does what he's told and does a adequate job at it. 

So, how do you come to the conclusion that term describes Nichols, a QB who's having a career season (after doing the same last season) and is playing way better than adequate?

16 minutes ago, Ripper said:

We use the term in the oilpatch. A guy that just goes to work and goes home. Not great but not bad. Will be doing the same exact job 20 years from now. Never gets better at it and never moves up. Does what he's told and does a adequate job at it.    I like ham and eggs too, although I slightly more fond of bacon. 

bacon is clearly superior to ham.... that's not even up for debate... though I had a quality ham sandwich last night...

And I know what  the term means... I was just bugging you! ;)

Edited by bearpants

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

So, how do you come to the conclusion that term describes Nichols, a QB who's having a career season (after doing the same last season) and is playing way better than adequate?

Lets see where he is at when the season is over.  He has been better this year so far, that I agree with.   I'm backing out of this argument. Not much more to say and it just clogs the site up and that is not why I post here. I just like talking football. 

Edited by Ripper