Matt Nichols, Elite quarterback?

SPuDS

Is Matt Nichols "elite"?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. there seems to be much debate on this on social media and some blogs.. so, I ask.. Is Matt Nichols an Elite level QB?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not quite yet but almost
    • undecided

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

For what its worth since somebody mentioned Milt, he was the game's leading receiver in both Grey Cups that he played in.

It's a shame we couldn't win a ring for Milt. He always came out to play. No matter how many crappy QB's we had throw him the ball in his career. 

3 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

he went 26/40 for 390 yards, 2 tds 0 ints in the WSF last year. He was not the reason we lost by 1 point. 

He played well enough to win. Not well enough to carry us to the win. Just, just shy of doing that. He floated 2 deep balls to wide open guys who got tackled having to wait for the ball to get there. We scored a td on one of those drives, fg on the other. Also when the game was on the line and we had to score to win, we went to fg. He could have orchestrated a drive to score instead of a crazy long FG. That would have been, put the team on the back and win it my self stuff. Highly elite stuff. The floater not soo much. Easily his best game last season though. He 100% played well enough for us to win. Every guy who played that game has to look at the plays they didnt make that could have won the game. We had an awful lot of em. 

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

It's a shame we couldn't win a ring for Milt. He always came out to play. No matter how many crappy QB's we had throw him the ball in his career. 

Yeah no kidding. A side from khari*, he had an above average qb in kg and a bunch of junk. Breaks my heart that we didnt win one for him. Blink, khari, and brown too. 

Edited by wbbfan

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah no kidding. A side from milt, he had an above average qb in kg and a bunch of junk. Breaks my heart that we didnt win one for him. Blink, khari, and brown too. 

He was his own enemy, by all accounts, in 2007...........

heck..he was his whole career...can imagine what his stats would have been if he trained..didnt smoke...didn't go out late most nights. I used to bounce at Teaser's and don't remember how many times he would be there till close...most times flying solo.

Didn't behave or act recklessly and anything  like that, but isn't good to be playing a pro sport with how he went about it off feild...just shows how truly gifted and amazing he was truth be told....

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

heck..he was his whole career...can imagine what his stats would have been if he trained..didnt smoke...didn't go out late most nights. I used to bounce at Teaser's and don't remember how many times he would be there till close...most times flying solo.

Didn't behave or act recklessly and anything  like that, but isn't good to be playing a pro sport with how he went about it off feild...just shows how truly gifted and amazing he was truth be told....

I remember seeing him in there real late one night right before an early game too. 

Some guys are like that though. That game, i wanna say sask after LDC he tore up the field. If he had tuned him self as an athlete at an early age, late HS even we never would have gotten him here. 5'7 171 (listed) 4.6 40 all time best, and a lil belly on you doesnt get you to the nfl. If he had leaned down and added a bit of muscle he would have been a KR down south for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

week of GC 07, by all reports, he was far more concerned with the week long party than the game and, quite frankly, it showed. A game where we needed a RB who cared....

That was the case with most the whole 01 team as well. 

5 minutes ago, do or die said:

If Roberts had a extra gear speed wise......he would of been illegal.   He could make people miss in a straight jacket, inside of a phone booth.....

No joke, he would have been bo jackson - techmo bowl in real life. His quickness and cutting was ridiculous as is. Not to mention his toughness and running power. So many times he got hit in the back field by a big DL and pushed forward for a couple yards. 

If he would have tucked his jersey into his pants he would have had another 100-200 yards a season too. Only way to arm tackle blink was to get that jersey and ride him down from behind. 

10 minutes ago, do or die said:

If Roberts had a extra gear speed wise......he would of been illegal.   He could make people miss in a straight jacket, inside of a phone booth.....

He was definitely quick not fast! Still the best first cut runner I've ever seen, the change of direction in his running was amazing, and although 5'6 ( on his tippy toes maybe) he used that size as an advantage. He'd be in the hole behind his OL and next thing you know before anyone could see him he was in the secondary. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

That is the most frustrating thing about Charles Roberts.... if that guy cared at all he could have been even more legendary than he already is. The amount of god given talent that guy had and he didn't put in a fraction of the work most pros do... 

Just now, 17to85 said:

That is the most frustrating thing about Charles Roberts.... if that guy cared at all he could have been even more legendary than he already is. The amount of god given talent that guy had and he didn't put in a fraction of the work most pros do... 

The video clip reminded me of how unique he was and how he ran like he had the centre of gravity of a manhole cover.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Reilly and Mitchell are head and shoulders the #1 and #2 QBs in the CFL, in that order.

However as a big not-Nichols guy, I don't see how anyone can say he's not number 3.

Every guy on this list loses. Every guy has good games, bad games, losses in games they should've won and wins in games they should've lost.

I truly think the reason that Nichols doesn't get as much love is because he never puts together a game where the Bombers go out and kill a team. They don't 60-1 anybody. But they win. And he's a big part of it. Nichols is very quickly turning me into a believer, which is crazy because when he took over from Willy, I was beyond convinced it was temporary and he'd never amount to anything.

I'd be curious to see the numbers of each of those three guys since Nichols became a starter. Just to measure it. I know Nichols has a better winning % than Reilly and a worse one than Mitchell. But what are the QB stats. Would be interesting.

I was able to put that information together pretty easily, but I don't know how to post it. I have it in a Excel spreadsheet and saved them as PDF's. Is there a way I can post it?

5 minutes ago, bb.king said:

I was able to put that information together pretty easily, but I don't know how to post it. I have it in a Excel spreadsheet and saved them as PDF's. Is there a way I can post it?

You can either convert the Excel spreadsheet to a google sheet, share it, and the URL will embed or covert the PDF to a picture, upload it to a free picture sharing site and post that. 

Or if you prefer, send it to me and I can convert it. 

13 minutes ago, Rich said:

You can either convert the Excel spreadsheet to a google sheet, share it, and the URL will embed or covert the PDF to a picture, upload it to a free picture sharing site and post that. 

Or if you prefer, send it to me and I can convert it. 

Rich - that technology is a bit beyond me! I tried to see if I can PM it to you, but I can't figure out how to attach something like you would an email.

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

Numbers courtesy of @bb.king.  Summary of the last 20 games of Reilly, BLM, and Nichols.  You can use the tabs at the bottom to see the individual game stats.

The other 2 qbs with a much superior receiving corps too.  Talent & injuries have to be taken into account. We lost Adams over a big stretch of games last year. Kohlert was virtually useless on the boundary as a wideout. Feoli-Giudino has been a huge upgrade at Canadian receiver & sadly he has been with us for 3 seasons & really never used properly. Nichols has had a lot less to work with over those 20 games until this season. That needs to be factored into the discussion . 

Edited by SpeedFlex27