Addison Richards Retires

Noeller

4 hours ago, janlens said:

Addison Richards will be one of the most dedicated grinders in the league.  Many can sit at home from the comfort of a couch analyzing his retirement and judging his decision; when really, none of us have any idea what it was like for him.  Addison clearly is dedicated to the game and his health.  Despite his injuries (WHICH IS BEYOND CONTROL) he continued to maintain an amazing physique and clearly puts work in. He was a great prospect when he was first drafted, and nobody has the right to look at him as a bust- or criticize any athlete for injured careers.  There comes a time in life where you need to accept things aren't working- Richards has been battling injury after injury - yet he came out of it with his head held high.  

When a guy is as you described, a great prospect at wr and catches what 1 pass in his career? Yeah thats a bust. He will be one of the most dedicated grinders in the league? How does one do that after retiring exactly?  SOME injuries are certainly beyond control. Some, are not. But none of us can tell what type of upper/lower body injuries he had. Also, with a pro sports team the fans of said team who support it have the right to criticize  the players and coaches. With a publicly owned team, where we as tax payers pay for the stadium and as fans pay for every thing, even more so. 

16 hours ago, janlens said:

Addison Richards will be one of the most dedicated grinders in the league.  Many can sit at home from the comfort of a couch analyzing his retirement and judging his decision; when really, none of us have any idea what it was like for him.  Addison clearly is dedicated to the game and his health.  Despite his injuries (WHICH IS BEYOND CONTROL) he continued to maintain an amazing physique and clearly puts work in. He was a great prospect when he was first drafted, and nobody has the right to look at him as a bust- or criticize any athlete for injured careers.  There comes a time in life where you need to accept things aren't working- Richards has been battling injury after injury - yet he came out of it with his head held high.  

Hey Addison... great to have you here.... I'm glad you've officially switched from gang green to being a Bomber fan! :lol:

Seriously though... calling him a "bust" has nothing to do with his ability, talent, work-ethic or 'physique'.... it's simply the fact that he was a high draft pick that didn't pan out... Garrett Waggoner was a fantastic athlete (I guess he probably still is)... but never lived up to his draft position, therefore bust...

11 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It is absolutely hilarious how much it clearly bothers the guy. I always took a wait and see approach with him as a prospect but yeah he was a waste of a pick and now apparently he is quite upset that people are calling a spade a spade.

oh come on.  you'd be just as pissed if people were calling you out and you were in his shoes.. don't be daft.

Saw something interesting today on 3rddown.  Evan Gill, since being drafted has only played a handful of games..  hes been injured much more then he has been healthy for the Ti-Cats.    He was expected to be a fixture on their d-line and has not had an opportunity to become that and now has either strained or torn his achilles tendon. 

So, its not just us who get the raw end of these types of deals..  Gill, Gaydosh is also in the same boat I believe but not as bad.. 

just found this interesting.. and curious how many other teams have had similar experiences with draft picks just essentially falling to pieces.

4 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Saw something interesting today on 3rddown.  Evan Gill, since being drafted has only played a handful of games..  hes been injured much more then he has been healthy for the Ti-Cats.    He was expected to be a fixture on their d-line and has not had an opportunity to become that and now has either strained or torn his achilles tendon. 

So, its not just us who get the raw end of these types of deals..  Gill, Gaydosh is also in the same boat I believe but not as bad.. 

just found this interesting.. and curious how many other teams have had similar experiences with draft picks just essentially falling to pieces.

I wonder if they still pee test the injured list.  When a guy goes from a little soft, but athletic to looking like a powerlifter in the space of about 3 years you wonder.  Wonder more when he keeps injuring weight bearing joints and tendons.

24 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I wonder if they still pee test the injured list.  When a guy goes from a little soft, but athletic to looking like a powerlifter in the space of about 3 years you wonder.  Wonder more when he keeps injuring weight bearing joints and tendons.

thats a good call yup.  could easily be trying to regain an edge illegally.   I'd assume they would test or random test from the entire roster,  injured or not..

8 hours ago, SPuDS said:

thats a good call yup.  could easily be trying to regain an edge illegally.   I'd assume they would test or random test from the entire roster,  injured or not..

I find it odd that we accept these players concussing their brains and suffering for it later in life but if they use steroids it's a big no-no. 

2 hours ago, J5V said:

I find it odd that we accept these players concussing their brains and suffering for it later in life but if they use steroids it's a big no-no. 

One is considered cheating and the other is risk of injury. If the league was more interested in the harmful effects of steroid abuse than the performance edge it gives to athletes then yeah, I can see the issue. 

22 hours ago, SPuDS said:

I'm gonna guess no less than 9 CFL teams have had high draft picks that didn't pan out... the all-powerful John Hufnagel picked Ameet Pal in the first rounds.... and the high and might Wally Buono picked Esa Mrabu in the first round... unless you mean specifically to injury... then these examples are void...

13 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

You would be surprised how many junior/college players use steroids.. There's no reason to believe in a league where the stakes are higher that players aren't using. They're just finding ways to get past the system. 

Having a 13 year old son who is heading into his sixth year playing football and aspires to play in the NFL (I know, lofty goal of his), this really concerns me.

I'm hoping I'm (and others) are giving him the tools not to be tempted.

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Having a 13 year old son who is heading into his sixth year playing football and aspires to play in the NFL (I know, lofty goal of his), this really concerns me.

It is certainly not unique to football.  Steroids are pretty common in general.  I'm also of the opinion that they aren't necessarily that bad for your health but that's a different discussion.  Around the time I graduated from high school, a lot of the guys who were really into weight-lifting started dabbling in steroids.  It's natural to be curious about them, especially when lots of others around you are doing them.  When we switched from the high school gym to a local public gym... wow.  It was like everyone there was on steroids.

I think the most important thing for you would be to educate yourself first, before talking to your son about it.  It is a pretty nuanced issue and "It's against the rules/it's illegal" isn't a very convincing argument against doing anything, IMO.

12 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

my sons probably played against your son all of those years as he's 13 and this would be his 6th yeah as well in the MMFA - except he took this year off to focus on basketball as its now offered in school, but plans to get back at er (football) next year.

I'm sure every club has them, but one more recent example is Geoff Gray coming out of the same program my sons plays with (prior to the bisons) Have to imagine kids like that set nice inspiration for a lot of the youngsters that anything is possible with hard work and dedication.   I can't see many kids this age doing steroids,  but definitely as they get older got to be leary of who they are around.  all it takes is a teammate, coach or agent (later on) to derail it all with shady influence.  

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

It is certainly not unique to football.  Steroids are pretty common in general.  I'm also of the opinion that they aren't necessarily that bad for your health but that's a different discussion.  Around the time I graduated from high school, a lot of the guys who were really into weight-lifting started dabbling in steroids.  It's natural to be curious about them, especially when lots of others around you are doing them.  When we switched from the high school gym to a local public gym... wow.  It was like everyone there was on steroids.

I think the most important thing for you would be to educate yourself first, before talking to your son about it.  It is a pretty nuanced issue and "It's against the rules/it's illegal" isn't a very convincing argument against doing anything, IMO.

When I was in my 20s, I knew a few guys who went on steroids just to have a better physique when going to the bar. 

For something as competitive as college sports with a desire to get to the pros ... when you see the next guy doing them and getting results on them, it's hard not to give it some serious thought.    

Not saying it is at all right but once you get into the circle where you know a lot of people are doing them, it is easy to do it and get access to it. 

A little insight into this...It is..or was very common in college ranks to use them to gain the edge, and under the right conditions, monitoring and proper cycling isn't as harmful as it is made out to be.

I can attest to the fact that programs subtly "encouraged " the use, or hinted that in order to progress and play that it may be an option. Many programs, and I have seen it first hand almost go as far as to telling you where to get it, and actually have medical personnel and a lot of times med students help administer it to guys who were too scared to inject themselves, if they were not taking it orally. It was much safer to inject as to ingest as the toxin elements of some  only have to pass through your liver once then, being less taxing on the organ. 

I will also say and admit that I dabbled in the use as well, it was do what was needed or be left behind. It is as advertised and is definitely a performance enhancer and helps in healing and recovery (the one initial reason why I went on a cycle) 

My bench press went up by about 180 pounds in a months time and , I grew from about 235-240 to a high of 282 pounds at my biggest and ran about a 4.65 forty at a playing weight of about 255-265 pounds. Never had any negative effects and wasn't a contributing factor in my injuries, but I wasn't an abuser and went for regular liver functions tests, blood tests and the likes to monitor things. also done wisely you keep most of the gains if you stop it properly and to this day I still weigh in around 260-265

The instances where you hear about deaths assumed to be caused by them are the chronic user/abusers who never go off, take extremely ridiculous amounts of many different types, both human and veterinarian types  and  they pay for it in the end...mainly bar starts, and the professional body builder types.

It's just silly the douchers who use it strictly for vanity and ego type things...athletically tho...you will never be free of it and sadly..especially in the U.S it's way to prevalent in the High school ranks..this type of stuff should never be used until the body has already physically matured and I would say that is early to mid twenties 

Edited by Booch