Addison Richards Retires

Noeller

13 minutes ago, Atomic said:

More blockers will result in more coverage sacks, throwaways, knockdowns and interceptions because there will be fewer targets.  Our OL in 2009 allowed the fewest sacks because they had Jon Oosterhuis on the field as an extra blocker all the time.  But the offence suffered overall.  It's not as simple as just using more blockers.

Unless you've got a QB like Calvillo who can throw into tight coverage effectively. 

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Unless you've got a QB like Calvillo who can throw into tight coverage effectively. 

Right.  It's really all about balance and working with what you have.  Calvillo, under Trestman, was also very good at getting the ball away quickly so it lessened the need for him to have extra blocking.  Add the near-telepathic level of communication between Calvillo and Cahoon and then you've really got something.

9 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

That throw from Nichols to Darvin Adams on the final series last week, to set up the field goal, was a RIDICULOUS bullet into extremely tight coverage. I'm not saying Nichols is the second coming of Calvillo, but he can definitely put 'em where he has to....

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That throw from Nichols to Darvin Adams on the final series last week, to set up the field goal, was a RIDICULOUS bullet into extremely tight coverage. I'm not saying Nichols is the second coming of Calvillo, but he can definitely put 'em where he has to....

I keep getting the impression that he's a long way from hitting his ceiling. Leadership, confidence & a gun for an arm. 

Confidence is such a big thing...confidence in your teammates (both blocking and the receivers), and confidence in your system (argue Lapo's stuff all you want, but if Nichols has confidence in it and believe he can make it work, that's a big part of things...).........if Nichols is confident, that's a really big part of it.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Exactly the play i thought of when i read the post you quoted. Hell of throw!!

On 8/10/2017 at 5:01 PM, Goalie said:

I think its more.. Butcher just doesnt have much room to grow. I think people overrated him based on his size and what he did 1 preseason game.. Those 2 plays he made against TCF 

He has the room to grow, no doubt. A man his size, with his strength and first step is all up side. However despite going back to college he never really polished his technique. His development between the two TCs was low. A year or two ago he would have lasted a year easy on the PR. We are just not in need of national linemen to a point where it makes sense to try and develop him. 

If he had managed to develop atleast 1 go to move to off set his bull rush hed be in the league on a roster imo. 

Addison Richards will be one of the most dedicated grinders in the league.  Many can sit at home from the comfort of a couch analyzing his retirement and judging his decision; when really, none of us have any idea what it was like for him.  Addison clearly is dedicated to the game and his health.  Despite his injuries (WHICH IS BEYOND CONTROL) he continued to maintain an amazing physique and clearly puts work in. He was a great prospect when he was first drafted, and nobody has the right to look at him as a bust- or criticize any athlete for injured careers.  There comes a time in life where you need to accept things aren't working- Richards has been battling injury after injury - yet he came out of it with his head held high.  

Edited by janlens

Just now, janlens said:

Addison Richards will forever be one of the most dedicated grinders in the league.  Many can sit at home from the comfort of a couch analyzing his retirement and judging his decision; when really, none of us have any idea what it was like for him.  Addison clearly is dedicated to the game and his health.  Despite his injuries (WHICH IS BEYOND CONTROL) he continued to maintain an amazing physique and clearly puts work in. He was a great prospect when he was first drafted, and nobody has the right to look at him as a bust- or criticize any athlete for injured careers.  Do not sell this guy short.   There comes a time in life where you need to accept things aren't working- Addison has been battling injury after injury - yet he came out of it with his head held high.  

Could you step over to the nearest window and tell us what colour of sky you see there?

17 minutes ago, janlens said:

Addison Richards will be one of the most dedicated grinders in the league.  Many can sit at home from the comfort of a couch analyzing his retirement and judging his decision; when really, none of us have any idea what it was like for him.  Addison clearly is dedicated to the game and his health.  Despite his injuries (WHICH IS BEYOND CONTROL) he continued to maintain an amazing physique and clearly puts work in. He was a great prospect when he was first drafted, and nobody has the right to look at him as a bust- or criticize any athlete for injured careers.  There comes a time in life where you need to accept things aren't working- Richards has been battling injury after injury - yet he came out of it with his head held high.  

And immediately sprained his neck.

47 minutes ago, janlens said:

Addison, I wish you the best in your future endeavours.

Edited by Arnold_Palmer