Odds and Sods - Bombers at Ottawa RedBlacks

do or die

Better D this week?
Ottawa drives 85 yds for easy opening drive TD
Harris is 9 for 9, against the ole predictable soft coverage.
Easy 2 point convert....6 minutes of defensive futility......
Bombers first play on offense.....Nichols bombs away...
..on stop and go to Lankford, who can really move....
In this case... 78 yds with perfect pass right in there...
Finally a stop...some 2 back with Harris and Flanders
...couple of completions by Nichols...
...brings on Medlock. who puts 52 yd FG, down the pipe!
Nichols putting ball on target.....JFG getting some work...
Loffler strips Ottawa RB on short yard play....ball pops up...
Randall grabs it and runs down the sideline 30 yds for the TD.
Nichols bombs to Adams....obvious PI completely missed....|
....brings on obvious challenge....with obvious overturn.
Bomber D covering better, could of had some picks....
Offense having some struggles with 2nd down penalties...
Halftime 17-12. Seen worse .. from this team.
Bomber D starts off 2nd half with....a Powell 50 yd td run...
...as he finds no LB's in second level....and goes in untouched...
Turning into a game of field position, at this point....
Hurl and Knox are struggling again, just like last week....
Ottawa FG has it at 23-17 for Red Blacks....
JFG having productive evening.....
Flanders-Harris reappears.....Adams catches ball down deep..
Nichols misses Denmark, then gets sacked.....
Mr. Medlock makes it 23-20.
Still impressed with Jeffcoat at DE.
Back up RB QB drops snap, can't convert 3rd and short.
Nichols perfect TD pass to Adams.....but Blue tagged for holding...
Undeterred...Nichols hits Denmark inside the 10......
...but the Bombers THIRD hand to face penalty call, wipes that out.
Sir Medlock makes it 23-all.   Going to be another of THOSE finishes....
Roc gets IC penalty....Ott. convert 2nd down against soft coverage....
....RedBlacks eating up the yards and the time.....
Harris long toss to Ellington....2 Bomber DB's standing and looking at each other...
Big time coverage bust for the D.   Big go-ahead TD for Ottawa....30-23.
Nichols trapped for sack, but pitches it to Thorpe who breaks 3 tackles for FD...
Harris run...and sideline PI on Adams gets the Bombers deep...
Why is MOS taking timeout just before the 3 minute warning?
Adams in the endzone. but leaves his feet and does not stay in bounds .
Earl of Medlock kicks another.....30-26.  
Bombers are only down 3 with 2:30 left.....no sweat....
Long Justin kickoff is conceded... for huge single point...one possession game...
The maligned Bomber D gets the stop with pretty good coverage....
Short Mahar punt sails straight out of bounds....10 yards tacked on...
Nichols completes to Adams, but overthrows JFG on 2nd down.
Squire Medlock kicks the field goal...with 55 seconds left....30-30...
All down to Blue defense.....who gets huge hit from Loffler....
...and key defended pass from the Roc, on 2nd down...
Time for some of the ole Blue Bomber Voodoo.....
Nichols hits Thorpe, then Denmark...Harris bulls down to the 30...
Master Medlock lines up on final play of game for 35 yd attempt...
....and it is REAL GOOD!!   Bomber pull it out again!  33-30.
Bombers left some plays out there.....and boned themselves with penalties...
Alternating between Swagger and Stagger...but this crew never gives up.
"Scrub" Nichols cool as ice, in crunch time, again.....17-5 as Bomber starter
Huge road win against a RedBlack team who is better than that record....
Huge gin consumption.....for whatever works....

Edited by do or die

Thanks for this. Always nice to re-visit the game via your odds and sods.

I think Nichols is actually 14-5 as our starter. Regardless, the guy is a winner. Scrappy. No panic in hm. That little desperation-broken-play-forward-shuffle-pass-just-before-taking-a-sack play to Thorpe was just that sort of staying calm and making something outta of nothing, a first down instead of a disaster, that the winners make happen. Yeah...there were also a few home run misses tonight where Nichols missed open receivers with overthrows or threw 'em outta bounds but - that said - when he's really gotta do it, in absolute crunch-clutch time, the man is...well...clutch.  Repeatedly.

Been a long time since we had a QB like that. Orchestrating comebacks and last min drives and last second plays to win. Khari had his moments, esp in 01 and 02. Before him, it was really all the way back to Tom Clements in mid 80's. He was also a dude with that kind of cool command of the 2-min drill. Confidence. Smarts. Leadership. Hell, three of our four wins this year have happened on the last play of the game! Exciting football.

Glad to have #15 as our QB. And #9 as our kicker.

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd
correct grammar & details

Man, I like watching this team...  so many years that you just knew the bombers didn't have the heart to come back when they were down...

Liked Medlock redeeming Coates...

Nichols and Harris are just gutsy players, lots of heart

DL is killer.

TWO RBS IN THE BACKFIELD... FINALLY. How many fkn years have we been waiting!!!!  Since Thunder and lightning...??  A decade???  

Bombers very lucky that Powell pulled up lame... or should I say Bomber LBs are...

Hurl and Knox are train wrecks - yes, I know they were in on some tackles but two highlight hits don't overshadow all the missed gaps - Bass and Wild are sorely missed, Bass would have knocked the crap out of Powell.

Walker looking good, Carmichael decent on corner... Leggett's return makes a huge difference

Really no reason to play Hurl if Corney, Thomas and Westerman are all getting regular reps...  Corney is a beast out there.

Loffler is a monster - I'll forgive that Ellingson TD - it was close.

30 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Man, I like watching this team...  so many years that you just knew the bombers didn't have the heart to come back when they were down...

DL is killer.

TWO RBS IN THE BACKFIELD... FINALLY. How many fkn years have we been waiting!!!!  Since Thunder and lightning...??  A decade???  

Bombers very lucky that Powell pulled up lame... or should I say Bomber LBs are...

Hurl and Knox are train wrecks - yes, I know they were in on some tackles but two highlight hits don't overshadow all the missed gaps - Bass and Wild are sorely missed, Bass would have knocked the crap out of Powell.

Walker looking good, Carmichael decent on corner... Leggett's return makes a huge difference

Really no reason to play Hurl if Corney, Thomas and Westerman are all getting regular reps...  Corney is a beast out there.

2 backs, combined 10 of our 14 carries though >.<

5 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Loffler is terrible in coverage but his hits do sometimes equals it out. Where was he on the long run, blame the LB but the last sign of defense is the Safety.

Loffler is playing basically LB/Safety hybrid because Hurl is so slow in coverage that Hall put him on the DL half the time...

Reminds me of Teague Sherman playing SAM with Burke and just being sent on the blitz every single play... except Sherman actually got to the quarterback

6 games in and our WIL and MLB have zero sacks... colour me unimpressed, its not like Hall hasn't tried to send them

Hurl is slow to react and Knox is slow to read

What are the chances the Bombers go hard after Bighill if he comes back to the cfl.  Hurl and Knox struggling. Bighill would be worth big$$$.

If not I'm curious if there are any guys who may look at returning to the cfl that the club may have an interest in. Didn't seem like they were at all interested in McDuffie. Maybe Walker? Could see him in for Denmark 

6 hours ago, Floyd said:

Loffler is playing basically LB/Safety hybrid because Hurl is so slow in coverage that Hall put him on the DL half the time...

Reminds me of Teague Sherman playing SAM with Burke and just being sent on the blitz every single play... except Sherman actually got to the quarterback

6 games in and our WIL and MLB have zero sacks... colour me unimpressed, its not like Hall hasn't tried to send them

Hurl is slow to react and Knox is slow to read

Watch Hurl trying to drop back on zone pass coverage over the middle...... and Knox either is standing around or in chase position, all nite..

Yeah, I do wish coach would acknowledge  we have a line backing problem and then make a plan to do something about it. 

On another positive note, the one challenge rule change means that the d-backs actually get to play football again. This is nothing short of an awesome development.   Several times during the game I found myself cringing – expecting a challenge – and then realizing with something close to a flood of relief that the coaches had  both already used their challenges.  OK… I'll admit this was really only a flood of relief when it stopped Campbell.

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd
Grammar

9 hours ago, Floyd said:

DL is killer.

Really agree about Corney. Playing some damned good ball.

2 hours ago, do or die said:

Watch Hurl trying to drop back on zone pass coverage over the middle...... and Knox either is standing around or in chase position, all nite..

It's unfortunate that none of our coaches have experience at the lb position and who should have an eye on talent that could do the job....  :blink:

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's unfortunate that our fans seem to think those same coaches, with all the LB experience, don't know what's up out there.......

Can you imagine how good this D would be with a stud MLB out there like Elimimian or Singleton?

WelI, this uneducated fan sees Loffler frequently playing up at the edge of the box, and sometimes not being able to provide over the top help deep , Hurl making the right reads, but lacking speed to get deep enough in middle zone, in time, and in the last 2 weeks, Knox really struggling with positioning and tackling angles.....

Perhaps,  I just make this stuff up as I go along, under the influence......

If folks are happy with the current state of the LB corps,  they have the perfect right to be....

But not being a coach,  does not disqualify fans, from expressing their opinion, about their team's performance - good or bad.  Whether it is MOS....or for that matter, Burke.

Edited by do or die

55 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's unfortunate that our fans seem to think those same coaches, with all the LB experience, don't know what's up out there.......

Its crazy to me that some folks think the coaches would call them out in public.. Thats not how they roll.. Guaranteed they realize that they have a couple of issues in that group but its not like theres some magic solution out there either. Singleton Elimimian.. On different teams. Getting Wild back should help... In a few weeks. 

10 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Loffler is terrible in coverage but his hits do sometimes equals it out. Where was he on the long run, blame the LB but the last sign of defense is the Safety.

On that play in particular.. Id put it on Hall more so than any player.. All of them were pretty much at the LOS.. It was scheme that did them in on that one plus Loffler isnt your average safety.. Id almost say hes a hybrid LB type. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Can you imagine how good this D would be with a stud MLB out there like Elimimian or Singleton?

That's not the point he was trying to make. What defense wouldn't be good with those guys? Chances are maybe, just maybe with a coach playing middle linebacker for as long as O'Shea did, he might know the responsibilities, and be able to evaluate our linebackers a bit better than most.

16 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

we will have to look at the film....perhaps he was covering a specific person??  He obviously wasn't anywhere near the middle of the field

I'm beginning to have some concerns regarding our defensive schemes.  I don't know enough to comment definitively, but playing a zone defense when you're protecting the end zone just doesn't make sense to me.  Man to man on a short field should be to our advantage shouldn't it??

7 hours ago, ddanger said:

I'm beginning to have some concerns regarding our defensive schemes.  I don't know enough to comment definitively, but playing a zone defense when you're protecting the end zone just doesn't make sense to me.  Man to man on a short field should be to our advantage shouldn't it??

Beginning, BEGINNING! Did you say BEGINNING?