Site Update

Rich

I've applied the update for the next major version of the boards software this morning.  

First thing you will probably notice is the formatting of some things are a little off.  Nothing that makes the board unreadable, but the thread formatting where the posters name is really off.  The people who make the current theme have gone out of business, so look for a new look to the board, probable some time this weekend, or as soon as I can find an appropriate one.

Some of the new features:

• Reactions - replaces the Like feature.  You can now respond to posts in a variety of ways rather then just like.  Custom reaction can be added as well

• Fluid Forum View - Going to experiment with this one for a bit, and see if I can find a way to bring the Twitter feed back with it.  You will see a box on the right hand side of forums that will let you switch between the forums and find new content faster.  This basically dumps all forums into a single view so you can see new posts across forums easier, or zero in on specific forums.   Give this some time to see how you like it, To change this back to the old way, go to the home page of the forum, there are now 3 boxes next to the Start New Topic button that let you choose how you prefer to view the board.   Post your feedback in this thread.

• Miscellaneous - You will find some moderator features allow moderators to make notes or feature posts in ways they couldn't before 

• Clubs - This is a new feature I've enabled where anyone can make a public or private club about anything they want.  Still learning how this works, I've created a curling club as a test, but it seems like it is really segregated from the main board.   Might need some more research on this one.

Many other upgrades and features you will find throughout.   Let me know if you find any issues.  #1 priority will be finding a suitable new theme so that everything looks nice and pretty.  I will be tweaking it throughout the weekend.

• Rich pinned this topic

Cool.

Personally, I don't use the twitter feed, so that's not a big deal to me.

Just checked out the reactions. Assuming you can change what shows up there, how about an Agree and a Disagree Emoji.

Didn't like the fluid view so I changed back to the old one. I only look at one forum so having the others there didn't help me.

Edited by TBURGESS
reaction

Like most of them, just not the every thing in one section. The slower former general discussion threads like ufc, netflix etc are gonna be a pain to keep digging back up. And i worry the jets talk will become overwhelming (like in game day chat at times during nhl season) especially if they bombers have a weak finish to the year. 

New theme is uploaded and configured.  It probably needs some more tweaks, so any feedback is welcome.    I will probably continue to tweak it a bit as time goes by.

For the new Fluid Forum View, this theme works with it properly.   So if you didn't like it before, maybe try it again with a proper theme.  You can select which forums you want to appear in the fluid view.

I can put the stickies back to the top in fluid view, but I think there are too many stickied threads right now, it takes away from the intent of fluid view.   I can put it back and see if there are any stickied threads we really don't need.

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Like most of them, just not the every thing in one section. The slower former general discussion threads like ufc, netflix etc are gonna be a pain to keep digging back up. And i worry the jets talk will become overwhelming (like in game day chat at times during nhl season) especially if they bombers have a weak finish to the year. 

You can change it back to the original view by clicking the Table View next to the Start New Topic button on the main page.

5 hours ago, tracker said:

Upgrades look good, but can you do something about the freezing when I try to post in the chat room? ++++ annoying!

The chat room is a separate app from the software itself, but there was an upgrade that was applied at the same time that I upgraded the board.  Let me know if it fixes it during the next game day chat.

9 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Cool.

Personally, I don't use the twitter feed, so that's not a big deal to me.

Just checked out the reactions. Assuming you can change what shows up there, how about an Agree and a Disagree Emoji.

Didn't like the fluid view so I changed back to the old one. I only look at one forum so having the others there didn't help me.

We can give these a try.  They've been added.

23 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

No more post count? That kind of throws me off a little!

Post count is still there.  I don't think it shows in the mobile view, but it is there on a PC browser.

I like the new look... one piece of feedback would be that I find that there isn't enough contrast between the current page number indicator and the rest of the page numbers.  Might just be my monitor, but I feel like I have to look at it a little too closely to see which page I'm on.

All in all, fantastic work.

13 hours ago, Rich said:

The chat room is a separate app from the software itself, but there was an upgrade that was applied at the same time that I upgraded the board.  Let me know if it fixes it during the next game day chat.

Will do. My kvetching knows no limits.

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm finding the black text on the grey background harder to read than the old version. Maybe a lighter grey?

I'd actually like to reverse the white and grey so that the main post is on white background and quoted posts on grey.  But there is a graphic I need to track down and change with it. 

Looks pretty good to me... this is my first visit since the update so I'll probably need to play around a bit before knowing what does and doesn't work...

on another note... I don't think enough thanks can be said to Rich and the gang about the great work they do on this site... by far, the best fan site in the CFL... thanks again guys!

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

overall very nice. Though via Mobile it doesn't seem to allow for log in. Nothing comes up when I try.

On my mobile I get a large banner ad across the top that sometimes pushes the log in menu off the screen to the right. If I navigate to the right it's there. I don't know if it's the same for you, but it's something I've noticed.