Game day thread: Montreal here

BigBlue

8 minutes ago, yogi said:

Also, declaring something a statistical outlier doesn't equate to declaring something statistically insignificant. Get some book learning people.

I think it would be a fair point if you did it for everyone.... eliminated the best and worst return for each.

For example if you take away Lankford's TD return, his average goes down to 23.4.  Now Martese Jackson's average of 26.1 looks much better.  But if you take away Jackson's best return, his average goes down to 21.3.  So Lankford is still better than Jackson.  The issue arises when you massage the stats for one player but not for the others, IMO.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM HIM THAN TO STAY HEALTHY AND SCORE TOUCHDOWNS??????

You haven't had your coffee yet, have you? lol

13 minutes ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

I'm still not convinced on Lankford.  The one he did take back was in spite of the lane he initially picked being shut down.  I put that one down to luck and speed, not returner savvy.  The great returners don't bounce around like he does.

Pinball Clemons would like to disagree with your comment.

23 minutes ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

I'm still not convinced on Lankford.  The one he did take back was in spite of the lane he initially picked being shut down.  I put that one down to luck and speed, not returner savvy.  The great returners don't bounce around like he does.

Jackson from the Argos was bouncing off all kinds of Bomber tacklers, and looked pretty great in doing so.   Gizmo Williams, Pinball, Stefan Logan... all those guys bounced around and were pretty good at it.  If anything, I think that's a better characteristic to have as a returner... so long as you're not constantly dancing around and then getting tackled for no gain!

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

I do agree though, that talking about his pace and that he's projecting to set the CFL record, is much too early.... talk like that shouldn't hold any weight until after labour day.... you wouldn't see TSN post those numbers after 4 games on 'what could be'.... we had a returner a couple of years ago that had flashes of brilliance and looked like a game breaker.... and now I can't even remember his name!!

Edit: looked it up... Troy Stoudermire

Plus, once the other CFL teams realize he's a dangerous threat, they'll treat him as they do Rainey and Banks and block the exits.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Lol I absolutely love the attempt to disregard Lankford's accomplishments by saying "Well, his numbers are only good because he's been healthy and scored a TD".......

Oooooookayyyyyyyyy.......right on.

have to give some credit to the coach, and the other players, when a guy does well on returns don't you?

26 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Jackson from the Argos was bouncing off all kinds of Bomber tacklers, and looked pretty great in doing so.   Gizmo Williams, Pinball, Stefan Logan... all those guys bounced around and were pretty good at it.  If anything, I think that's a better characteristic to have as a returner... so long as you're not constantly dancing around and then getting tackled for no gain!

I disagree.  A speed guy like Lankford has to pick his spot and commit to it.

13 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I thought I read people saying he's not very good period.

doh. you are correct..the original discussion was about return teams essentially.. and how Lankford is "best" solely because hes the only one that does returns for the bombers where as others have 1 a 1b returners..  or that he had the return TD..

so it isn't a returner versus returner conversation AND people were bashing Lankford because his stats are "skewed" in some peoples minds.. you are correct tho on the fact the ST does deserve praise for opening the holes and blocking like they do. 

3 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

i remember this moment like it was 10 years ago... that standing O and Stegall Chant for like 5 mins solid was awesome.  Hope the bombers give us something huge to cheer about tonight!

Great moment! It's unfortunate that he had to set the record wearing that god-awful uniform and logo the Bombers had at the time. It would have looked much sweeter with the current uniform/logo.